Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally sat down with my copy of Viticulture EE and played against the automa for my first ever game. The thing is, I won with 24VPs, even after starting with a horrible Mom (Naja) and Pop (Alan). So naturally I'm thinking that, even though I've read the rules a few times, I must have done something wrong. Sure, the first two years saw no scoring at all as I sold one field, planted and harvested whatever I could, trained more workers, and drew summer visitors in hope of getting something useful. Points trickled in the next two years as I filled a couple orders, and then I was rolling the final three years with a couple more orders along with VPs from winter visitors and wine tastings. Still, it seemed kinda easy, and the automa didn't block me a whole lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harvesting a field more than once in a year is a common error that can give a big advantage.

It's hard to debug without more information, since there are a lot of rules in the game that can be played wrong. You could consider finding a solo playthrough video on Youtube of here on BGG.

It might also be that you're a really good player or got lucky.

If you don't find any rule errors try moving on to a harder difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! I figured it out! I was using the bonus tokens way wrong. The way I was reading it, I thought it meant that you use one to take an action and then also get the bonus, but were restricted to only using them after each placement of a real worker (to prevent stockpiling them); in effect, they were 7 extra super-workers. I feel pretty confident I won't do nearly as well the next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoelMagentaShag wrote:
Aha! I figured it out! I was using the bonus tokens way wrong. The way I was reading it, I thought it meant that you use one to take an action and then also get the bonus, but were restricted to only using them after each placement of a real worker (to prevent stockpiling them); in effect, they were 7 extra super-workers. I feel pretty confident I won't do nearly as well the next time I play.

That would make quite a difference .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve steve
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
NoelMagentaShag wrote:

Can I quickly ask... does everyone always sell a field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

I may be an idiot, but considering my first instinct upon winning was correctly surmising I had done something wrong, I'm no dummy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
kingsteveape wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
NoelMagentaShag wrote:

Most of the time, yes I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoelMagentaShag wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

I may be an idiot, but considering my first instinct upon winning was correctly surmising I had done something wrong, I'm no dummy.

The secret to life.

It's not about never being wrong, it's about not assuming you're right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingsteveape wrote:

In my limited play experience, I have each time. With only 7 turns, it just seems highly unlikely that you're going to plant on all three of your fields, especially when you're only going to harvest 1 or 2 of them in a winter. And just like in Great Western Trail, the early cash infusion is extremely helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I played correctly, and still won with 22 VPs (maybe reading up on strategy for several weeks has given me a leg up). But to make sure I wasn't just lucky, I played again and came up short with 17 VPs. In the second game, my vine cards didn't line up as well with my order cards, and the automa was getting in my way a bit more. I think I'll start the solo campaign when I get a little more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoelMagentaShag wrote:
Okay, so I played correctly, and still won with 22 VPs (maybe reading up on strategy for several weeks has given me a leg up). But to make sure I wasn't just lucky, I played again and came up short with 17 VPs. In the second game, my vine cards didn't line up as well with my order cards, and the automa was getting in my way a bit more. I think I'll start the solo campaign when I get a little more time.

For a different experience, you could try my solo campaign. It’s designed for people just starting solo play, as the challenges slowly ramp up from easier than the base game to harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SJS1971 wrote:
NoelMagentaShag wrote:

For a different experience, you could try my solo campaign. It’s designed for people just starting solo play, as the challenges slowly ramp up from easier than the base game to harder.

Don't worry, I already had it scoped out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.