10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Username rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Schardt
APO/FPO
msg tools
I received four notifications of somebody trying to find my user name this morning. I have already changed my password. Just giving you guys a heads up that somebody may be trying to hack accounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesschardt wrote:
I received four notifications of somebody trying to find my user name this morning. I have already changed my password. Just giving you guys a heads up that somebody may be trying to hack accounts.

I search for usernames all the time, because I want to see what that user is currently posting, but they aren't added into my Geekbuddies status.

Much ado about nothing.

And if someone wants to use your username to register, that is their right to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jamesschardt wrote:

Do you mean someone trying unsuccessfully to log in as jamesschardt and requesting a password reset, which you received as email?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesschardt wrote:
I received four notifications of somebody trying to find my user name this morning.
It’s not clear what you mean by “find my username”.

There’s a search by user functionality on BGG which I suspect isn’t what you mean.

Like Russ, I suspect you mean someone is trying to log on as you? But that’s not conveyed clearly by what you actually said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am just going to add that having your username the same as your name and posting your name online is poor online security. So I would not be surprised if someone was trying to hack your account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It could of course also be someone with the same name sincerely misremembering that this is their userid and trying to access their account!

In any case (whether it's malicious hacking or sincere confusion), the system seems to be working as designed, and working reasonably, so I'm not sure why this is a post in the Complaints forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting it here is good as a staffer will have seen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesschardt wrote:

We have a "Recover Username" option in which someone can request their forgotten BGG username by providing the email address that is on the account.

If someone enters your email address, you'll get that reminder. It's possible someone entered your email address instead of theirs by mistake - perhaps it is similar?

The password reset option works similarly - you enter your username and a password email link is sent to your email. If you ever get those it is typically because someone forgets their username and entered the wrong one.

In either case, no one can use these links to access your BGG account unless they have access to your email as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to check to see if anyone else had this too. I strangely received an email saying. Wondering if it's a bug in the system since I did nothing of the sort for this email to be sent.

"Usernames matching your email address:

LateCold"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard a couple of other similar reports, which moves this from solitary incident to...something else.

Whether a bug or someone trying to use the system for anything other than how it is intended, it still remains that no one can use this feature to access your BGG account info unless they have access to your email as well.

If you want to change your BGG password, here is a link:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount.php?action=editpasswor...

And if you want to update the email address on the account, here is that link as well:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount.php?action=editcontact
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.