Popular Tags: [View All]
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this is my kind of dungeon game!

Never mind the pixelated art (which turned me off initially when it was on KS). Never mind the sparse rulebook (pocketmod, anyone?). Never mind the values of the arsenal cards that seem like they ought to mean something because, well, numbers, but end up not meaning a damned thing (at least, not in the game I played or for the monsters I slayed). Never mind all the things.

I freaking LOVE this game for its simplicity and cleverness!

I mean, how much simpler can it be to look at 4 icons on a monster card and try to match them up with your icons? Easy to grok but not easy to do when you can only use your arsenal and only in the order in which they were dealt.

I played the easy Archer and had to defeat 4 Terrors, 2 Humanoids, and 2 Constructs and I thought I had it in the bag then realized I only had a finite number of Hands left and no way to pull them out from the discard pile and I was about to throw the game when I noticed the Witch gave me the ability to beat the front monster of any column, which happened to be the final boss monster Terror I needed to defeat to win the game.

The direct route is not always the best route. Clever, clever!

Definite KEEPER!

P.S. Odd thing, but I love the feel of the cards, the rule book and the tuck box. Are they plastic?

P.P.S. The designer was truly a gentleman and handled my inquiry and my order with courtesy, efficiency and speed. This game needs more love, if only for that alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game too. I’ve played about 4 games and it’s definitely a puzzle and also pretty fun. Also the hard sides of the Heroes are very difficult, which I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay all of the positive reviews I am seeing trickling in are making me feel very happy and good for backing the Deluxe version. Just sad I have to wait so much longer to get my copy Sounds like it will be totally worth it though.

Edit: I also was in contact with the designer during the campaign. Very friendly and prompt with inquiries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Byers
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I can't wait for my copy to come! I got a couple custom cards so I didn't receive the game in the first wave, but I also don't have to wait until the deluxe orders are fulfilled. Which pretty much means that any day I might receive it. The game sounds like a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing anything from not backing on KS and getting my copy straight from the designer? Are you all getting more cards?! Argh! I want moar!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
during the kickstarter backers at certain levels were able to submit custom hero card requests for their specific copy of the game. So, first the basic "retail" copies were sent, then he has been sending out copies as he finishes the custom hero cards to those backers. THEN once all of that is done, he will send the Deluxe copies because those will contain every custom hero card that every other backer requested, 200+ cards according to the campaign, depending on how many backers created custom heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I did skim something to that effect on the KS page but got confused and also didn't think I had an opportunity to grab the Deluxe anyway so I paid it no heed. Thank you for clarifying and I hope the developer makes the custom cards available for purchase for us peons when the Deluxe completes fulfillment. I'd love oodles more cards for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact shortly after I posted that response there was a new kickstarter update! I actually totally forgot there was also going to be some extra monsters in the Deluxe version.

"I have two heroes left to create in order to fulfill all of the non-deluxe edition rewards. I'm spending this week testing all of the above heroes and then they're off to the printer. I expect them to ship to backers by the end of January, hopefully making it just in time to meet the deadline.

Next up? 105 heroes for deluxe edition backers. That's going to take me until the end of February - at least. I'll keep you updated.

In addition to those heroes, I have 16 more monsters to draw and design. I'm still looking for ideas for them if you'd like to submit yours. I know that I'm doing a horse type and a desert type, but beyond that I'm not sure. I'll be showing the four that I've already designed in a future update, as well as sharing the rules for how to incorporate them into the game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't understood anything about the pledge levels during the campaign but was able to catch up by paying the difference between Regular and Deluxe using Paypal. Now I am waiting the Deluxe version...

Lucky as I am, I received the base game anyway (I think I was still registered as such) and so I can already have fun with it. This is great! The designer is a really nice and professional guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Corbally
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my absolute favorite campaigns. Brian was a mass of invention and creativity ON THE FLY!

I am still waiting for my deluxe, but the set I got my daughter for Christmas was VERY WELL RECEIVED (especially since there were cards of her and her cat in the box!).

I'm definitely following this creator!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trysh Call
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Your review is spot on except for the numbers. Some of the numbers are in fact used when you’ve slaughtered a monster.

There was a picture and a conversation about this game in a solo play group on FB and I wanted to know what all the hype was about. Based on all the great comments I decided to contact the designer through BGG and buy it. The designer was so kind, courteous and expeditious in handling my order and did I mention, I love this game! It’s all in a tuck box and I port it around in my purse for when I can sneak 15 min in here and there. I love the endless combinations that you can play; therefore, never playing the same game twice. I’m not a reviewer, but this is definitely worth the purchase.

Ps. The designer told me he is in the process of making a stand alone expansion. I will be buying that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls