Popular Tags: [View All]
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hi,
I'd like to know the differences between the variuos editions, because I have the possibility to buy them, but obviously the prices are quite different! Are there differences between the:
- original Avalon Hill edition + western extension map (very pricey, 125 $)
- Descartes edition (50 $) mint - in french
- Gibson games edition (60 $) mint

I've seen that the Gibson edition is aestetically awful, but the french edition has a lot of text on the gaming elements? Please help me to choose.:0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Nummila
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:Differences between editions?
LuZa (#37142),

I havent played any version of the game so I dont know about language dependance. This might just confuse more but theres also version made in Finland still in print. Price 35euros (about 40$). Availeable at least from here:

http://www.fantasiapelit.com/index.php?main=etus

Direct link to "Sivilisaatio" (=Civilization)
http://www.fantasiapelit.com/index.php?
main=ai&etsittava=sivilisaatio&mista=*&offset=0&yhteen=eri&alue=

As I said I dont know if theres stuff written on components, which would make it useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt horn
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
LuZa (#37142),

The rules of the gibsons, descartes, and AH versions are the same. the differences are in the map. The AH version is that darker, larger map, made up of 3 mapboards. The gibsons and descartes maps are brighter, single board maps.

The civ cards have text on them. as such, yes, the descartes version has alot of french text.

I would hands down go with the AH version. If you are already considering the Descartes or Gibson version -- those do NOT include the western expansion map, so you can save yourself about 80 bucks and just get vanilla AH Civ. Western expansion map is necessary if you want to play I think 8 or 9 players, but otherwise, it is too expensive for what it is.

None of them comes with the advanced civ rules/cards/chart, which was only ever produced by Avalon Hill.

BTW, Piatnik makes a version that is still widely available. It is in German but otherwise virtually identical to the Gibsons one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LuZa (#37142),
I have the Gibsons, Descartes, and Avalon Hill versions of the game and I prefer the Avalon Hill version. A good used copy of Civilization would cost you about $40 on ebay and more if it's unpunched or in shrinkwrap. Honestly why pay the premium for something you're going to punch out and play? There is also the original Hartland Trefoil version but it's pretty hard to find and I don't know how it compares to the Avalon Hill version.

Sometimes you can snag the Descartes version on ebay for very cheap like I did if you're patient. The Gibsons version is pretty ugly but the cards are virtually identical to the Descartes version except for the language! Honestly the French words are not hard to figure out as many are close to the English equivalents (e.g. Astronomie = Astronomy) or have a picture that makes it easy.

As far as the Western Expansion Map is concerned, there are enough photos that you should be able to make one of your own since it is essentially just a piece of paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the images in the database has some trade cards that look rather different from the standard set. They appear to be in German. Anyone know anything about them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Casjens
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spielboy wrote:
I would hands down go with the AH version. If you are already considering the Descartes or Gibson version -- those do NOT include the western expansion map, so you can save yourself about 80 bucks and just get vanilla AH Civ. Western expansion map is necessary if you want to play I think 8 or 9 players, but otherwise, it is too expensive for what it is.

None of them comes with the advanced civ rules/cards/chart, which was only ever produced by Avalon Hill.

BTW, Piatnik makes a version that is still widely available. It is in German but otherwise virtually identical to the Gibsons one.

There are even more German versions. Welt der Spiele released two version. One is the same as the Piatnik one and in other one came with the western expansion map already included.

The wxm (at least the Welt der Spiele version where the wxm was included) allows to play with 8 players, but provides 2 new sets for a total of 9 sets (Spain and Gaul).

cfarrell wrote:
One of the images in the database has some trade cards that look rather different from the standard set. They appear to be in German. Anyone know anything about them?

These are trade cards which were included in the western expansion map (it seems they are only included in German Versions?)
1 - Three cards of Ochre/Hides (can be used as either Ochre or Hides)
2 - Five cards of Lumber, and 3 cards which have Iron/Papyrus, Lumber/Iron, Lumber/Papyrus (same as the 2-sided level 1 cards)
3 - Four cards of Wine (all Wine cards (3, 4 and 5) can be combined, they are worth their sum times the number of cards)
4 - Three cards of Wine
5 - Two cards of Wine
6 - One Bronze
7 - One Spice
8 - One Gems
9 - One Gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.