Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't post a picture of fake political candidate "Deez Nuts" on the same ballot as Hillary and Trump, b/c that is political.

You can talk about an ogre rubbing the Holy Grail on its taint, b/c that's just religious and (frankly) vulgar.

You can't say "JEEZ-US" before explaining how a cry for more females is not necessary, when the current count is 4 females, 5 males. I was told that was "dismissive" (I'm not making that up, the whole post was deleted).

You can slander a BGG user's name saying he stole from you, w/o any proof b/c... I don't know. No idea why this is allowed, it doesn't seem like something BGG would want to foister.

Where is the line between what you can and can't say. Oh, you can't mention the mods are fickle, that gets deleted with no explanation (but I think we know why).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In before the lock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
rather than trying to find how close to the line you can get without going over, why not just stay away from the line entirely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
rather than trying to find how close to the line you can get without going over, why not just stay away from the line entirely?

But if people did that they would have nothing to complain about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
You can't say "JEEZ-US" before explaining how a cry for more females is not necessary, when the current count is 4 females, 5 males. I was told that was "dismissive" (I'm not making that up, the whole post was deleted).

That is absolutely dismissive and deserved to be deleted. Moderation success!

It actually sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on how this works now, so I’m not sure what your complaint is actually about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
why not just stay away from the line entirely?

Because you have to know where the line is in the first place in order to stay away from it. I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.

But you're basically correct. Since this has happened to me, what I've learned is that if people are behaving stupidly, its safer to simply walk away and let them be stupid. Which, actually, makes me kind of sad. Having to be "considerate" of people who engage in verbally subvertent behavior is one of the reasons why fake news is allowed to propagate and, IMHO, we really should be trying to stop this sort of thing. But apparently condonation is the price I have to pay if I don't want to be relegated to lurker status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

Because you have to know where the line is in the first place in order to stay away from it. I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.

But you're basically correct. Since this has happened to me, what I've learned is that if people are behaving stupidly, its safer to simply walk away and let them be stupid. Which, actually, makes me kind of sad. Having to be "considerate" of people who engage in verbally subvertent behavior is one of the reasons why fake news is allowed to propagate and, IMHO, we really should be trying to stop this sort of thing. But apparently condonation is the price I have to pay if I don't want to be relegated to lurker status.

In theory, yes. In reality, you do the best you can, and that shouldn't be enough to ever trip over "the line."

If you being considerate and not insulting means you get moderated, then no amount of "knowing where the line is" would save you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no line. The line is a social construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:

You can slander a BGG user's name ...

Like slander their username? Thier login? How would that occur? Would someone say:

"Fifteen Keys is totally not the name of a song!"

and I say "It totally is, you are just slandering my specific username by saying it isn't!"

and they say "Well, if Fifteen Keys is a name of a song, then Fifteen Keys (the song) stole something from another person!"

at which point I would be confused and wouldn't know if they were talking about the username or the song and then would start humming the dobro riff in the song.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

That's not generally Human nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's really no confusion. Seriously. It's just not what you want it to be.

Pete (is pretty clear where the line is and has figured out how to stay away from it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If you sign your posts like Pete, you'll never get moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

I thought that‘ what the Lawyer microbadge was for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

I understand it's part of being a Sovereign Forum Citizen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.

Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

Be a scientist. Run some experiments. Gather data. You'll find out eventually.

It really isn't that difficult, but some really try to make it so.

Line dancing must be an exhausting pastime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for once, I didn't think I was anywhere near a line when I got moderated (one time I was tweaking a little. I said a word which BGG has explicitly endorsed was a word which bothered me). I thought the line was not to be rude, offensive, disruptive, or engage in personal attacks. I don't do those things, but got modded anyway. So I'm just staying away from controversial subjects for now. Except maybe in RSP, which I only recently started looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
So I'm just staying away from controversial subjects for now. Except maybe in RSP, which I only recently started looking at.

I'm not sure those two sentences go together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
So I'm just staying away from controversial subjects for now. Except maybe in RSP, which I only recently started looking at.

, I assume it's safer there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
SaintHax wrote:

Like slander their username? Thier login? How would that occur? Would someone say:

Like "fifteenkeys ripped me off in a transaction we had"-- which there is no proof for and cannot be validated. I think there is a place for that kind of thing (vendor ratings, legal complaints, etc), but not on a social media site with no proof to back it up.

Someone else stated "not to get close to the line"-- which was not the intention. When someone stated they've never heard of "Deez Nuts" (in a discussion about how "Dis" is pronounced in KeyForge), posting a picture of the news showing how many votes "Deez Nuts" got was not meant to be political, but to show the phrase is so common that someone used that fake name during an election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
SaintHax wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:
SaintHax wrote:

Like "fifteenkeys ripped me off in a transaction we had"-- which there is no proof for and cannot be validated. I think there is a place for that kind of thing (vendor ratings, legal complaints, etc), but not on a social media site with no proof to back it up.

Someone else stated "not to get close to the line"-- which was not the intention. When someone stated they've never heard of "Deez Nuts" (in a discussion about how "Dis" is pronounced in KeyForge), posting a picture of the news showing how many votes "Deez Nuts" got was not meant to be political, but to show the phrase is so common that someone used that fake name during an election.

There's your political aspect, whether you thought or intended so or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Damjon wrote:

To discuss topics that you can't discuss outside RSP? Yes.

But there's still a real chance of being banned (especially if you cannot bring youself not to deliberately antagonise), and in RSP the ban is forever (and if you break it, the ban being merely a ruling, not a physical posting limitation, you get banned from the entire site forever). Ask Darth Hugo where the line is in RSP - he crossed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
SaintHax wrote:

There's your political aspect, whether you thought or intended so or not.

So, then why isn't a post about a troll rubbing the Holy Grail on his taint a violation? That's where the confusion is. I'd even say that saying something is rubbed on a taint, scrotum, or rectum seems to also hit the "Gratuitous depictions of violence, nudity, and sexuality".

Quote:
Raising issues of religion, sex, or politics outside of the designated Religion, Sex, and Politics forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
SaintHax wrote:
So, then why isn't a post about a troll rubbing the Holy Grail on his taint a violation? That's where the confusion is. I'd even say that saying something is rubbed on a taint, scrotum, or rectum seems to also hit the "Gratuitous depictions of violence, nudity, and sexuality".

Quote:
Raising issues of religion, sex, or politics outside of the designated Religion, Sex, and Politics forum

I don't know about the admins, but I certainly would not classify that as even remotely related to sexuality.

But did you bother to flag the post in question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Damjon wrote:

To discuss topics that you can't discuss outside RSP? Yes.

But there's still a real chance of being banned (especially if you cannot bring youself not to deliberately antagonise), and in RSP the ban is forever (and if you break it, the ban being merely a ruling, not a physical posting limitation, you get banned from the entire site forever). Ask Darth Hugo where the line is in RSP - he crossed it.

Like I said, I'm never rude, offensive, disruptive or antagonistic. Sarcastic, yes. Devil's advocate, yes. Anti-group-think, yes. Anti-confirmation-bias, yes. I think those things are safer in RSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.