Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Moderation Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Damjon wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
So I'm just staying away from controversial subjects for now. Except maybe in RSP, which I only recently started looking at.

I'm not sure those two sentences go together.

, I assume it's safer there.

To discuss topics that you can't discuss outside RSP? Yes.

But there's still a real chance of being banned (especially if you cannot bring youself not to deliberately antagonise), and in RSP the ban is forever (and if you break it, the ban being merely a ruling, not a physical posting limitation, you get banned from the entire site forever). Ask Darth Hugo where the line is in RSP - he crossed it.

Like I said, I'm never rude, offensive, disruptive or antagonistic. Sarcastic, yes. Devil's advocate, yes. Anti-group-think, yes. Anti-confirmation-bias, yes. I think those things are safer in RSP.

Not necessarily. Playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of it will cross the line (we had that this month). Doing it every now and then, okay. Doing it all the time, to such an extent that it seems you do it just because, not okay. That will come across as trolling and acting in bad faith.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Damjon wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
So I'm just staying away from controversial subjects for now. Except maybe in RSP, which I only recently started looking at.

I'm not sure those two sentences go together.

, I assume it's safer there.

To discuss topics that you can't discuss outside RSP? Yes.

But there's still a real chance of being banned (especially if you cannot bring youself not to deliberately antagonise), and in RSP the ban is forever (and if you break it, the ban being merely a ruling, not a physical posting limitation, you get banned from the entire site forever). Ask Darth Hugo where the line is in RSP - he crossed it.

Like I said, I'm never rude, offensive, disruptive or antagonistic. Sarcastic, yes. Devil's advocate, yes. Anti-group-think, yes. Anti-confirmation-bias, yes. I think those things are safer in RSP.

Not necessarily. Playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of it will cross the line ... That will come across as trolling and acting in bad faith.
exactly. already charged discussions have no need for anyone to "play" devil's advocate. that is in fact being disruptive. If you wish to discuss a topic, do so in good faith, not with made up arguments designed solely to distract people on one side from discussing what they were discussing.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Damjon wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
So I'm just staying away from controversial subjects for now. Except maybe in RSP, which I only recently started looking at.

I'm not sure those two sentences go together.

, I assume it's safer there.

To discuss topics that you can't discuss outside RSP? Yes.

But there's still a real chance of being banned (especially if you cannot bring youself not to deliberately antagonise), and in RSP the ban is forever (and if you break it, the ban being merely a ruling, not a physical posting limitation, you get banned from the entire site forever). Ask Darth Hugo where the line is in RSP - he crossed it.

Like I said, I'm never rude, offensive, disruptive or antagonistic. Sarcastic, yes. Devil's advocate, yes. Anti-group-think, yes. Anti-confirmation-bias, yes. I think those things are safer in RSP.

Sorry, but this just reads you like to show up to take a dump on consensus for kicks and giggles.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ALWAYS in good faith. As I said, I'm a NATURAL devil's advocate, especially with myself. It's why my political and economic opinions have evolved over the years. My moral position has always been the same: always side with the underdog. And I want people to do the same with me. But apparently (some) people don't tolerate that. I really, really don't understand that position. I especially don't understand accusing someone of intentionally derailing or being disruptive for diabolical purposes or for fun. But if that's the attitude, then forget it. I'll just stay out of it. I have no interest in being that careful about what I think and say. I think progressivism does harm to itself by enforcing or encouraging that position. I think it's a small part of the reason we have an evil clown in the White House. Just my opinion, though.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
It's ALWAYS in good faith. As I said, I'm a NATURAL devil's advocate, especially with myself. It's why my political and economic opinions have evolved over the years. My moral position has always been the same: always side with the underdog. And I want people to do the same with me. But apparently (some) people don't tolerate that. I really, really don't understand that position. I especially don't understand accusing someone of intentionally derailing or being disruptive for diabolical purposes or for fun. But if that's the attitude, then forget it. I'll just stay out of it. I have no interest in being that careful about what I think and say. I think progressivism does harm to itself by enforcing or encouraging that position. I think it's a small part of the reason we have an evil clown in the White House. Just my opinion, though.
I don't even know what "natural devil's advocate" is. In a charged debate, there are already 2 sides. why join one side just to toss hypotheticals at the other side?

always supporting the underdog isn't a moral position. It's a lazy one. If 99 people were shouting down a single nazi would you start supporting the nazi on principle? I would hope not, but that is what you are saying. So that's not "good faith" That's "wade in, see which side is losing, and join them". Not all ideas are equal

Bringing it back to the debates here, re: women in gaming, the underdog, is women, is the side wanting inclusion, the side that has faced centuries of discrimination. There are plenty of people who will argue against that side without "devil's advocates" who have no position other than arguing for the sake of it joining in.

You claim to be arguing in "good faith" and not being disruptive but also claim you have no position other than opposing what you perceive to be the status quo. Those things don't go together.
18 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Underdogs: people with less power. The poor, minorities, women, LGBT, children, people who live in repressive regimes, etc. And I don't just talk about it. I live my life that way. I graduated from Columbia Law School, and instead of going into corporate law like 90% of my classmates, I went to the Legal Aid Society. I now work mainly as an assigned counsel representing poor people and children in Family Court. I've literally sacrificed millions of dollars because I have to do something I believe in. And I don't come from a rich family. So I don't have to justify my progressive beliefs, because I live them every day. Maybe others here do too. That's great. Just don't cast aspersions on someone you don't know.

End Rant


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Underdogs: people with less power. The poor, minorities, women, LGBT, children, people who live in repressive regimes, etc. And I don't just talk about it. I live my life that way. I graduated from Columbia Law School, and instead of going into corporate law like 90% of my classmates, I went to the Legal Aid Society. I now work mainly as an assigned counsel representing poor people and children in Family Court. I've literally sacrificed millions of dollars because I have to do something I believe in. And I don't come from a rich family. So I don't have to justify my progressive beliefs, because I live them every day. Maybe others here do too. That's great. Just don't cast aspersions on someone you don't know.

End Rant


I hear you, but I think there’s maybe a conflict in terminology going on here that’s causing some friction. It sounds like you use the terms “underdog” and “devils advocate” differently than lots of other people.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Avatar
mb
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Underdogs: people with less power. The poor, minorities, women, LGBT, children, people who live in repressive regimes, etc. And I don't just talk about it. I live my life that way. I graduated from Columbia Law School, and instead of going into corporate law like 90% of my classmates, I went to the Legal Aid Society. I now work mainly as an assigned counsel representing poor people and children in Family Court. I've literally sacrificed millions of dollars because I have to do something I believe in. And I don't come from a rich family. So I don't have to justify my progressive beliefs, because I live them every day. Maybe others here do too. That's great. Just don't cast aspersions on someone you don't know.

End Rant


RSPer here. Don't listen to those other guys, you'd do fine in RSP as a devil's advocate. Come join us!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Underdogs: people with less power. The poor, minorities, women, LGBT, children, people who live in repressive regimes, etc. And I don't just talk about it. I live my life that way. I graduated from Columbia Law School, and instead of going into corporate law like 90% of my classmates, I went to the Legal Aid Society. I now work mainly as an assigned counsel representing poor people and children in Family Court. I've literally sacrificed millions of dollars because I have to do something I believe in. And I don't come from a rich family. So I don't have to justify my progressive beliefs, because I live them every day. Maybe others here do too. That's great. Just don't cast aspersions on someone you don't know.

End Rant


RSPer here. Don't listen to those other guys, you'd do fine in RSP as a devil's advocate. Come join us!

I like Satan's new affiliate program.
7 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
spoon wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Underdogs: people with less power. The poor, minorities, women, LGBT, children, people who live in repressive regimes, etc. And I don't just talk about it. I live my life that way. I graduated from Columbia Law School, and instead of going into corporate law like 90% of my classmates, I went to the Legal Aid Society. I now work mainly as an assigned counsel representing poor people and children in Family Court. I've literally sacrificed millions of dollars because I have to do something I believe in. And I don't come from a rich family. So I don't have to justify my progressive beliefs, because I live them every day. Maybe others here do too. That's great. Just don't cast aspersions on someone you don't know.

End Rant


RSPer here. Don't listen to those other guys, you'd do fine in RSP as a devil's advocate. Come join us!

I like Satan's new affiliate program.
Octavian is running out of souls to reap in RSP, so he encourages* us to recruit from the Complaints forum. OP should join too!

*source: the Voices
6 
 Thumb up
6.66
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
spoon wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Underdogs: people with less power. The poor, minorities, women, LGBT, children, people who live in repressive regimes, etc. And I don't just talk about it. I live my life that way. I graduated from Columbia Law School, and instead of going into corporate law like 90% of my classmates, I went to the Legal Aid Society. I now work mainly as an assigned counsel representing poor people and children in Family Court. I've literally sacrificed millions of dollars because I have to do something I believe in. And I don't come from a rich family. So I don't have to justify my progressive beliefs, because I live them every day. Maybe others here do too. That's great. Just don't cast aspersions on someone you don't know.

End Rant


RSPer here. Don't listen to those other guys, you'd do fine in RSP as a devil's advocate. Come join us!

I like Satan's new affiliate program.
Octavian is running out of souls to reap in RSP, so he encourages* us to recruit from the Complaints forum. OP should join too!

*source: the Voices

I only recently started checking out RSP. I thought it would be a cesspool. It's not though. Neither is BGG as a whole. In fact, it's one of the nicest forums I've seen, especially compared to YouTube or the Fox News comments section. I guess boardgamers are just great people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.

I agree. That's my plan.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Akado wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.

I agree. That's my plan.

Will you be doing it while eating a vanilla ice-cream cone and whistling muzak tunes?

Life can be boring, but why would one intentionally make it more boring?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Akado wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.

I agree. That's my plan.

Will you be doing it while eating a vanilla ice-cream cone and whistling muzak tunes?

Life can be boring, but why would one intentionally make it more boring?

Well, I do like vanilla ice cream (chocolate is better), but I hate muzak.

So you're thinking I should keep on keeping on, damn the consequences? Hmm, an interesting proposition. I'll have to think carefully about it. The consequences of failure are severe. I like your devil-may-care attitude though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Akado wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.

I agree. That's my plan.

Will you be doing it while eating a vanilla ice-cream cone and whistling muzak tunes?

Life can be boring, but why would one intentionally make it more boring?

Well, I do like vanilla ice cream (chocolate is better), but I hate muzak.

So you're thinking I should keep on keeping on, damn the consequences? Hmm, an interesting proposition. I'll have to think carefully about it. The consequences of failure are severe. I like your devil-may-care attitude though.

I'm not recommending one way or the other, I'm just saying that one should always watch their six, but don't be timid like a creature of the forest.

or better yet...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Akado wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.

I agree. That's my plan.

Will you be doing it while eating a vanilla ice-cream cone and whistling muzak tunes?

Life can be boring, but why would one intentionally make it more boring?
Is there a choice of plain vanilla? I'm from Minnesota, you see.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Akado wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.

I agree. That's my plan.

Will you be doing it while eating a vanilla ice-cream cone and whistling muzak tunes?

Life can be boring, but why would one intentionally make it more boring?
Is there a choice of plain vanilla? I'm from Minnesota, you see.

Midwesterner's spicy = a sprinkle of air.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Akado wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Akado wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.

I agree. That's my plan.

Will you be doing it while eating a vanilla ice-cream cone and whistling muzak tunes?

Life can be boring, but why would one intentionally make it more boring?
Is there a choice of plain vanilla? I'm from Minnesota, you see.

Midwesterner's spicy = a sprinkle of air.
Now you're just slandering us! True midwestern spicy is bell peppers or ketchup.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Akado wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Akado wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
I've been moderated for defending another user when somebody else grossly took their quote out of context and continued to do so even after the quote was clarified, but the person who did this didn't get moderated. Apparently lying about what somebody else has said is allowed, but calling them out for being a liar isn't. Not really clear how I was supposed to know this based on the rules of conduct provided when I signed up.
Moderation is handled privately, so -- except under very rare circumstances -- you don't know the degree to which the other person was moderated.

I'm adding to Matt here because it's possibly important.

Moderation is handled privately, true. But it's not like the modded person is nuked out of the geekspace. A mail is sent, a post is linked, community rules are reminded, and there's generally dialogue. Or, at least, that's my modding experience: people ask, and I explain, and in general, there's goodwill and good understanding of the reasons.

There's also a part of moderation that is handled in public, by means of general reminders of the forum rules.

I've been on the Geek more or less every day since 2011, and reached level 20 in posting a few years ago. So far, I've been modded only once, back in the day. Just because of a guy who posted something rude in W&G and I answered, well, a bit too snappy. He was wrong, but I wasn't kind, so, there was moderation needed, it's fine. It was also a kind modding: a warning, and a request to modify my text, end of the story.

Many of the users I know had zero posts modded, or just a warning like me, meaning the community is in general very welcoming and polite (which is nice).

So, I'd say that as long as people behave properly, they'll never occur to them the need for being modded.

Well, like I said, I went three years without being modded. It never occurred to me that I would be. And then I got modded four times since September. I don't think I behaved improperly in any of my posts. But, people can have different opinions. I assume, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, that people are doing what they think is right. And I'm sure modding is a difficult balancing act. But I never thought in a million years I'd get modded, and I'm very gun-shy now.
Certain threads/topics are moderated significantly different than the rest of the site.

As others have said, if you stay out of the intensely-charged threads (especially after the early pages of simply contributing your experience and walking away), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're posting in page 15 of a thread with a ton of disruption and deleted posts, then you're walking into a minefield and should not be surprised if you get blown up.

I agree. That's my plan.

Will you be doing it while eating a vanilla ice-cream cone and whistling muzak tunes?

Life can be boring, but why would one intentionally make it more boring?
Is there a choice of plain vanilla? I'm from Minnesota, you see.

Midwesterner's spicy = a sprinkle of air.
Now you're just slandering us! True midwestern spicy is bell peppers or ketchup.



I live in the Midwest, cook quite often for locals... know the palette... or whatever word would define it.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Avatar
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
I'm never rude, offensive, disruptive or antagonistic.
Quote:
Sarcastic, yes. Devil's advocate, yes. Anti-group-think, yes. Anti-confirmation-bias, yes.

Ummm...pretty sure you don't fully understand at least one of those quotes the way the rest of us (particularly the moderators) do...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |