United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

I have yet to get this game to the table this year, as four players or less in a session is rare.

Having read how so many believe this game is best with four and not less, I have decided to try it with five instead by adding pieces to the game.

I don't believe this will cause any problems as such, and suspect the game might even scale well up to six.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Tycoon for 5 (or possibly more)?
fellonmyhead (#37147),
cool We play with 3 and it still plays well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletodoc (#37162),

That's not exactly what I was asking, but thanks for your comment.

I have tried a short test play solitaire and will be testing it out (all things remaining equal) for five players tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
fellonmyhead (#37288), It's playable with 5 but i wonder if this is optimal. Why? Getting a lead in the "northern" cities of Mahattan, Monaco and Tokyo is key. Let's say you go last and manage to get no firsts in these key cities.
You're effectively dead in the water. In the four player game, only 1 player might get locked out of these key cities
and thus is toast. This isn't so bad. If 2 players get locked out this isn't really a good thing. The two dead players spend the game fighting for lesser seconds and building second rate factories. Basically, the pie isn't really big enough for a good 5 player game. A shame really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
db3000 (#37424),

Tried it with 5 players last night; it worked well enough but the tendency was for most cities to depreciate quickly in the third stage.

I don't know that this is a bad thing, because it was generally the lead players that suffered as a result; but not to an extent that cost them the game.

I don't know about the key cities thing either, the winner actually didn't have any influence in any of them until the last round when she took over Tokyo. Having said that, both losing players were also locked out if I recall correctly.

We reached the general conclusion that the game played differently with 5 and one suggestion to bring it closer to the original was to reduce hotels to 15 per player in rounds of 5. I personally think the game works fine with 5 but different strategies must be observed for success. Late plays into a city will likely be at a loss, however the aim is then to damage others even more in the process and increase your international presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead (#37457),

In a 4-player game, there are 72 hotels and 20 factories to be placed, so I'd divide those numbers by 5 (or 6 in a 6-game) to get to comparable board coverage.

With experienced players, factories in the top three big cities are critical.

I've played 1000s of games between robots on my computer, and I have no indication that any seat has an advantage. However, if I were in seats 4 or 5 in a 5-player game and I saw one of the top 3 cities in the initial ticket flop, I'd grab it on round 1, build a factory, and then return home on turn 2 to borrow money. That's just me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.