Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Tetrarchia» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a map/trail for visually describing how the barbarians advance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liz Lam
msg tools
I'm pretty sure I've advanced the barbarians wrong on several game plays.
Is there a marked map available to see how to advance a barbarian army fro each outer region?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
lizlam wrote:
Is there a marked map available to see how to advance a barbarian army fro each outer region?

No, there isn't one (EDIT: now there is, see below). I could do it and post it as an image here, if you would find it helpful.

I thought that the description in the rulebook was explicit enough:
rulebook wrote:
– If at the starting position beyond the border, move to province 1 of the corresponding region.
– If in the region, move to the next province in the sequence 1-6. In some regions (HISPANIA, ILLYRYCVM, GRAECIA and AFRICA) it will skip some provinces and go from 3 or 4 directly to 6.
– If already at province 6, follow the shortest path to Rome: from HISPANIA through NARBONENSIS, and from ASIA MINOR through THRACIA-MACEDONIA-EPIRVS.

Can you please recheck it with the board at hand and see if something remains unclear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Lam
msg tools
Thanks for responding!

The first bullet point is very clear.

The second bullet point, I was not sure in some cases if I should move from 3 to 4 and then to 6. Or should I go directly from 3 to 6. For example in Hispania. Should it be 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 6 -> Narbonesis? Or 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4-> 6 -> Narbonesis?

I had a similar question for Gallia. Is it 1,2,3,6 or 1,2,3,4,6?

From Africa it seems pretty clear: 1, 2, 3, 6 -> Silicia.

In any event, I think a picture is worth a thousand words and would be pretty useful to see the trail from each outer region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They follow a path from 1 to the next until they reach 6.

The complete sequence (1-2-3-4-5-6) is possible in Gallia and Asia Minor.

In others the sequence gets interrupted at 3 or 4 (because 5 and sometimes 4 are not reachable in their path towards 6). In Hispania, Illyricvm and Graecia it is 1-2-3-4-6, and in Africa it is 1-2-3-6.

OK, when I have some time I'll try to make a picture with the paths!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Lam
msg tools
Ah! I see now. Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here it is: meeple

Thanks for your suggestion Liz, it seems others are finding it useful too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Lam
msg tools
This is perfect! Thanks for making it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After this discussion, I was considering adding this to the game material in any way. I see two possibilities:

1. Replace the image at the header of the rulebook with this one.
2. Add some arrow symbol to the board itself.

Option 1 is easy and straightforward, option 2 requires some work since I cannot see right now how to add symbols that are visible enough but do not harm the 'elegance'/playability of the board. What would you like?

Poll
Would you like to see the Barbarian paths on the game material?
No, it is already clear with the province numbers and rulebook.
Yes, with arrows on the picture at the header of the rulebook.
Yes, if possible with symbols on the board itself.
      10 answers
Poll created by franchi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember I had to sit with the rulebook and the board and figure what the text in the rulebook meant. So yes, some visual aid would be helpful. (This graphic is very useful. So to use it in the rulebook would be a step.)

I also like it a lot when the board of a game tells me all I need to know. So if there's any way to include this... yes, please. Maybe a shade along the passes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
Maybe a shade along the passes.

The problem I see is that whatever it is should work on both light (most) and dark (sea) background, not interfere with the broken link symbol, and also some links are very short (and broken and overlap already with the name of a province)...

But I'll think about it. In any event, the arrows above are easy to add to the map on the rulebook.

PS/ OK, I may be onto something feasible, I'll post the test here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you find this 'subtle' enough?

I wouldn't like that the arrows 'get in the way' during the game. I mean, that people moving their Emperor through those links don't ask themselves "what is the effect of this arrow on me?"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion that is very good. It's a good aid but doesn't distract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And another test, trying to distract even less:

In fact this information does not concern the link, but the province exit for the army, so I thought that drawing the arrow at the exit of the province would be better, and less distracting. I drew it on top of the link, so that it is still visible.

My guess is that these symbols will be used very rarely, at the reading of the rulebook and very first games or in a very specific occasion, and that most of the time they will not be needed, that's why I'd like to make them 'fade' into the map, and not stand out.

What do you think, which of those pics seems a better improvement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janusz Kuśnierek (Skyscraper)
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IMO, second from three above is most subtle. Arrows are merged with routes nicely. Only Cisalpina and Etrvria are too small and not coherent with the rest

I would go a little bit further - my proposition is not to use arrows at all. Just try to draw and blend (fade out/or not) a short (length equal to arrow) black line inside/along route in place of arrows. It will mark the exit from the field just enough. In Etrvria black line will connect to the Roma directly. In Cisalpina it will cross the "broken" route but it will not cover it so the "broken" will be visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback Janusz!

janciorules wrote:
IMO, second from three above is most subtle. Arrows are merged with routes nicely. Only Cisalpina and Etrvria are too small and not coherent with the rest
Yeah, those two are tricky... I had even thought that once in Italia I could not draw the lines/arrows, since the path to Rome should be then straightforward.

janciorules wrote:
I would go a little bit further - my proposition is not to use arrows at all. Just try to draw and blend (fade out/or not) a short (length equal to arrow) black line inside/along route in place of arrows. It will mark the exit from the field just enough. In Etrvria black line will connect to the Roma directly. In Cisalpina it will cross the "broken" route but it will not cover it so the "broken" will be visible.
I'll give this a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Lam
msg tools
I also like this suggestion. Else, number 2 would have my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janciorules wrote:

OK, I was being silly, nothing forced me to place all the province labels exactly centered at the bottom. I have tilted some labels that make the arrow/link look better (like Gallaecia and Macedonia), and specially Cisalpina and Etrvria, that now leave the link completely visible:

Tests with just a darker line were not successful. And I took advantage for a small addition, the ROMA label is now bigger (same size as the six borders), as it should!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sloan Lee
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes!"
mbmbmb
I like this last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janusz Kuśnierek (Skyscraper)
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Miguel it's great seeing You are putting a lot of effort correcting these details and constantly working on and expanding the game. Such things make the quality!

I was wondering what are Your plans about this new revision of the map? Will it be updated by the Nestorgames? Have You maybe thought about putting a payed PNP version of the game available for buying (like in www.pnparcade.com)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janciorules wrote:
Miguel it's great seeing You are putting a lot of effort correcting these details and constantly working on and expanding the game. Such things make the quality!

Thanks Janusz! This is a hobby, so I only design games because I like it a lot! And the most rewarding part is the feedback from people that are playing the game, so even if I prefer to deliver a product that will not change, I'm always open to small things that can improve it if they are feasible. Regarding further expansion, even if I could think of something else I believe that Tetrarchia has already enough variety, so I prefer to focus on my next games...

janciorules wrote:
I was wondering what are Your plans about this new revision of the map? Will it be updated by the Nestorgames? Have You maybe thought about putting a payed PNP version of the game available for buying (like in www.pnparcade.com)?

And about feasibility, one of the advantages of nestorgames is that they print on demand, so once I settle the arrow design nestorgames will announce the new board and new orders will get it from then on.

My hobby time is very limited, so I 'just' take care of the design, graphics, rulebooks... Everything else I chose not to do it, because I don't want to 'waste' (from my view) time on it, so I won't go into the PnP business. The game is made and sold only by nestorgames, and they do a great job with the components! You couldn't print those Emperors/Barbarians...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is the new map in Japan!

(from https://twitter.com/svamura/status/1137278821588037632)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh!

So the new board is available and what we will get from Nestor?

I didn't see any announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freeloading Phill wrote:
Oooh!
So the new board is available and what we will get from Nestor?
I didn't see any announcement.

Yes, it is the board that comes with the game for a while already, I think since I uploaded the final version to the gallery:

I still have the old one... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Lam
msg tools
It looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.