United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After much consideration and mounting evidence, I've decided that the Crimea/Patriotic faction mat/player mat combination will henceforth be banned. This joins the other banned combination, Rusviet/Industrial, both for the same reason: An experienced Scythe player can complete a game of Scythe in 14 turns with these combinations, which is so far ahead of the standard 18-22 turn average that it doesn't give other players a fair chance.

If you draw into either of these combinations during setup, return your player mat to the pool and gain another. Brand-new Scythe players may ignore the banned combinations for their first game.

I've officially posted this on the FAQ: https://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/faq-scythe/
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happens when Rusviet-Industrial plays Crimea-Patriotic in a 2-player game? Sounds like an interesting illegal street fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a fast game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
That would be a fast game!
You must mistake me for an experienced player.

Well, I'm experienced in that I've played a lot. But I've never mapped out the 14-turn solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
An experienced Scythe player can complete a game of Scythe in 14 turns with these combinations, which is so far ahead of the standard 18-22 turn average that it doesn't give other players a fair chance.
Does that mean the game is solved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's a game, not a puzzle--it cannot be solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Follow on Kickstarter!
badge
Microbadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: TapestryMicrobadge: PARKS fanMicrobadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift System fan
Gastel wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
An experienced Scythe player can complete a game of Scythe in 14 turns with these combinations, which is so far ahead of the standard 18-22 turn average that it doesn't give other players a fair chance.
Does that mean the game is solved?
Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
After much consideration and mounting evidence, I've decided that the Crimea/Patriotic faction mat/player mat combination will henceforth be banned. This joins the other banned combination, Rusviet/Industrial, both for the same reason: An experienced Scythe player can complete a game of Scythe in 14 turns with these combinations, which is so far ahead of the standard 18-22 turn average that it doesn't give other players a fair chance.

If you draw into either of these combinations during setup, return your player mat to the pool and gain another. Brand-new Scythe players may ignore the banned combinations for their first game.

I've officially posted this on the FAQ: https://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/faq-scythe/
Thanks for doing this and keeping this game alive and vibrant. Such a great game.
Please consider banning Russviet/Innovative as well as Saxonia/Militant. Those combinations are not far behind the Crimea/Patriotic issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Fox
United States
Cairo
New York
flag msg tools
What kind of bee makes honey move? A Kardi Bee!
badge
That son is a power saw.
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be terrible at this game. Most of our game last 30 - 35 rounds.

Ouch.

Time to play more and get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff3316 wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Thanks for doing this and keeping this game alive and vibrant. Such a great game.
Please consider banning Russviet/Innovative as well as Saxonia/Militant. Those combinations are not far behind the Crimea/Patriotic issue.

And here we go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B N
msg tools
SJS1971 wrote:
So what happens when Rusviet-Industrial plays Crimea-Patriotic in a 2-player game? Sounds like an interesting illegal street fight.
Already been analyzed!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2099004/winner-patriotic-cr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Please consider banning Russviet/Innovative as well as Saxonia/Militant. Those combinations are not far behind the Crimea/Patriotic issue."

If you and others can show me that those combinations can consistently and without interference end the game with a win in no more than 14-16 turns, I will certainly consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
Halle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! Are there any combinations (officially) considered to be underpowered, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Williams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was reading on the FAQ and see the RUSVIET variant but do not see the
Criema variant. Is it posted some where else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently my Wordpress cache isn't caching. It's there, but it hasn't revealed it yet (I'm not sure why).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, looking at my last couple of games I see that i beat Industrial Rusviet with Militant Saxony, and Patriotic Crimean lost one as well. Both OP combos came in 3rd in their games. This is not really useful data because it was during games 1 and 3 of Fenris campaign so the unique game goals and length probably throw it off. I only mention it because last summer one of our games had Patriotic Crimeans nearly double any one other player's score.

So I guess we know who the experienced player of our group is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in this topic. I wonder what is the best way to measure optimal plays, so you can determine, 14 turns with these combinations of player mats and factions is all you need. Obviously, experience helps, but experienced players can still be interrupted and make mistakes and play non-optimally.

If we would assume optimal player (or an experienced player), minimal interruptions (every player would delay their fighting until needing one or two stars at the end), and possibly ignore all rewards from encounters. Then one could try and figure out how many turns are needed to end the game.

Granted, these observations would not be a true representation of Scythe. However, it might give us some sort of mathematical ranking of the combinations.

This (theoretical) list of player mat and faction combinations could then be used to judge its strength. This would be a very rudimentary list, but to those who are extremely competitive it could be useful.

I don't think this is in the spirit of games at all, to try and "figure it out", like Jamey says, this is a game not a puzzle. But with variable player powers and different action combinations per player, players are generally interested in figuring out what is best, and what is worse.

It is understandable, partly due to the popularity of this game, and also when players play this game tens if not hundreds of times, to say, well you got this combo with that you, really had an uphill battle. Adversely, oh you got this combo, that has a possibility of getting 6 stars in 19 turns whereas all other combos played this game need a minimum of 21.

Having said all this, I am not the one that will go and do this list. And I must say that some of the modules in Rise of Fenris and Wind Gambit affect it enough that it doesn't bother me.

Still interested though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
msg tools
Actually giving Rusviet/Industrial or Crimea/Patriotic to new players in an experienced group may help them a bit in their first game. Just to not be massacred and never want to play again.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Sorry if this question was asked am answered before. In the future will these combinations be re-balanced to make the combinations viable ?

Love this game and since I’m a novice, I am not sure I ever encountered any issues with certain combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
horizons wrote:
Actually giving Rusviet/Industrial or Crimea/Patriotic to new players in an experienced group may help them a bit in their first game. Just to not be massacred and never want to play again.
If they're totally new, it won't help them much, unless they're also given some guidance on strategy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmadms wrote:
horizons wrote:
If they're totally new, it won't help them much, unless they're also given some guidance on strategy...
That’s the thing. Even the “banned” combos require a lot of planning and strategic thinking to exploit their strength. In my experience even most gamers aren’t going to be doing homework to prep for game night.

I own the game and play it a lot. I might avoid those combos for myself, but if I’m playing with my (good player) teens or my game group, I wouldn’t care if an opponent drew those combos. If someone figured out the way to exploit the combo at the table (no home prep) I’d consider them to have earned the victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"In the future will these combinations be re-balanced to make the combinations viable?"

I don't think so. They just happen to fall into a sweet spot of several different combinations (faction ability, board position, and player mat configuration).

Maybe we'll find on the modular board that they're less powerful--we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, to help our group keep straight which combos are banned, I have created this little reference card that I keep in the box:

Banned Faction/Player Mat Combos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Putting this here while I try to think of something really clever...
badge
Just smile, no one gets out alive.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Parent of Two Boys and Two GirlsMicrobadge: I play with green!Microbadge: New Orleans Saints fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 challenge to play 10 games 10 times each
Xeserox wrote:
I must be terrible at this game. Most of our game last 30 - 35 rounds.

Ouch.

Time to play more and get better.
I thought we were pretty good at the game, until we played the Wind Gambit and used the "Doomsday Clock" Resolution tile...time ran out and we felt that we had barely gotten started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scythe Randomizer has been updated to include this change. Upload is pending approval:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/168851/scythe-setup-rando...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |