Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a minor reshifting, and Don and Lisa and I acquired a table to ourselves and busted out with San Juan. Actually, Lisa and I were planning on playing Jambo, but Don was an odd man out so we happily welcomed him and started one I knew they'd both like. Don dodged a bullet, too, because they were playing Moods. Hmmmm, Moods or San Juan? Such a difficult question. These are the quandaries we face.

Don had played Puerto Rico before, so conceptually he had a leg up on Lisa, who hadn't played either game before. I've played a *lot* of San Juan vs JSanJuan (and I fare quite well against that AI most of the time, often winning, and I don't believe it's weak). I played a full teaching game, showing them my hand or cards from my hand, and often thinking aloud about the role choices presented. This almost came back to bite me in the end, but I'll get to that.

My own build started fairly simply, with a Smithy and a Coffee Roaster. Ironically, I didn't really use the Smithy after that (no Guild Hall for me!), but I suppose it was a wash with the Coffee Roaster and it did give me a cheap and potentially useful build early on. This was followed by a few more cards, including the Prefecture, Library, and Triumphal Arch.

I'm not a fan of the Triumphal Arch, but it seemed to work out for me this game (and I may be coming around). The card itself isn't as nice as the other 6s, and if you play it before you've played any other monuments (as I did) it's not worth JACK until you get some down, so I made that my mission.

The nice thing about the Triumphal Arch is that it makes you make that your mission, and those monuments in and of themselves are very "point dense". If you can pair it with the City Hall, they're even more so. I did just that. My last 6 cards were comprised of the three monuments primarily, with the addition of the Chapel (woot!), but I was able to cap it off with the coup de grace known as the Palace. That's right, this is one of my highest (and I believe quite possibly my highest) scoring games ever: 56 points. I don't think I've even seen JSanJuan score higher than that (though I have seen it hit 52 or 54, which astounded me as I've never crested 50 before).

Meanwhile, both Don and Lisa had gone after the hand-enlarging Tower early in the game. This changed the tempo on me some, but I was able to leverage both the Library (buildinating the countryside) to build more often with less, and the Chapel to shove my extra stuff under for points (I'll take that combo over a big hand size any day!).

Lisa had a little producing factory going on, with the Aqueduct for more production and the trader thing that let her pull a card when she sold 2 goods. She had one of the other synergy cards in that mix, I think (though I can't quite recall what it was).

Don, on the other hand, had built a Triumphal Arch himself, though this ended up being the only 6 he was able to acquire. I'd been shoving some goodness under the Chapel to take it out of circulation (both Lisa and I had a Prefecture), but I didn't shove any of the 6s under there.

Don leveraged his Triumphal Arch pretty well, getting all 3 monuments, and near the end of the game we started counting points, as we were all close to the last building (Lisa had been behind, be she caught up a little after Don did, it seems). I was flush with points, and Don wanted more variety, so he used his Library and chose the Councillor, and this good fortune allowed me to build my Palace. If he'd have chosen something different, and then when the start of turn passed to him chosen to build, my palace would have gone by the wayside (iirc) and I've been down some 11 points from it (minus whatever I happened to build otherwise - I was prepared with a variety of point costs at this point). But he saw I was high on points, and he needed big money to compete.

Lisa, meanwhile, had gleefully found the Guild Hall to pair with her 4 production buildings, and she was happy to find and play it. In the end, we all scored well.

Don and Lisa had in the mid 30s (35 and 36?), whereas my 3 6ers shot me up into the stratosphere.

So how did my helping them come back to bite me? Near the end of the game, while I had both the 5 point monument and Palace in my hand (and I chose to play the monument first, knowing it would give me 5 base + 2 TA + 1 CH = 8, at or more than I usually get for the stupid Palace, especially if I'm a card short at the end), I started telling Don how I had these two good cards (the aforementioned monument and Palace) and I may not have enough juice to build them both. Then I thought I was in the clear, and started telling him if he took the builder it would screw me, and I was so glad he didn't. Only it was the wrong time and I wasn't quite out of the clear. It all worked out (for me) in the end though, since he took Councillor 2x (giving me 4 cards more) and letting me build (using my Library, and hence only needing 4, so I had a couple extra at the end).

Good game! I believe it's on both their wishlists now =)

[edit: paste from geeklist missed the end!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always amazed at how people can recall almost every move played in a game whereas I can barely remember what games I played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.