Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Stone
Australia
Wavell Heights
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to share with those who have never tried the solo game, just how good it is.
I normally play 2 player games and wouldn't consider myself a solo gamer.
(in fact, I filed away the Automa rules and cards, expecting to never use them).
But, I had some time yesterday, and my wife wasn't keen to play.
I thought I'd give the solo rules a whirl.
Well, it turned out to be a very good game and definitely scratched the Gaia Project itch pretty well.

Probably because I am used to 2 player games, the Automa felt similar enough to be enjoyable. Perhaps if I had only ever played 4 player games, it would have been less satisfying. Perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to play with 2 and 3 automas and it worked perfectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McComas
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GP solo is definitely a best in class!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Commerce
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
I tried to play with 2 and 3 automas and it worked perfectly

Hmmm...must try this sometime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stone
Australia
Wavell Heights
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm, 2-3 Automas synchronously.
Sounds interesting.
how did you do it? Each have their own deck? Or each using the same deck? (i.e. the same new card inserted every turn?)
All different factions I assume?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words. We work hard on these and hearing that you are enjoying makes it all worthwhile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Nakauye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear. I bumped it up on my list. Question is this one of your first solo games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy soloing heavy games and solo GP is indeed a great experience, with one major caveat: the automa system generates bot scores based on random card draws and subsequent actions. Depending on the automa draws and (randomly pre-drawn) round and end game scoring tiles, the automa can be easier or very difficult to beat. When I play a solo game, I want a uniform challenge from game to game - that is, I want to be able to set the challenge level before I start, not by some random factor during the game.

Therefore I've tweaked the automa rules a little: I simply don't bother scoring the automa. Then the game becomes a "beat your score" affair, which many people hate, but I have no problem with, with the added bonus of there being much less maintenance overhead with the automa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stone
Australia
Wavell Heights
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Linfieldkid09 wrote:
Good to hear. I bumped it up on my list. Question is this one of your first solo games?

As I said, I am not much of a solo gamer, so have little to compare it to, sorry.
I've previously tried the Race for the Galaxy solo, Mage Knight solo and RAF:Lion. All of these have their own merits, but of the bunch, I think I'm most likely to return to Gaia Project solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Nakauye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
I enjoy soloing heavy games and solo GP is indeed a great experience, with one major caveat: the automa system generates bot scores based on random card draws and subsequent actions. Depending on the automa draws and (randomly pre-drawn) round and end game scoring tiles, the automa can be easier or very difficult to beat. When I play a solo game, I want a uniform challenge from game to game - that is, I want to be able to set the challenge level before I start, not by some random factor during the game.

Therefore I've tweaked the automa rules a little: I simply don't bother scoring the automa. Then the game becomes a "beat your score" affair, which may people hate, but I have no problem with, with the added bonus of there being much less maintenance overhead with the automa.

So do you like score your own games more? I prefer high score games when I want quick play. And heavy random automas when I want a game night feel.

My high score fav is roll player right now. My fav heavy is spirit island. My fav story campaign is too many bones.

To the OP I would look at Scythe or Spirit Island for some fun automas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JuanLiShai wrote:
Sounds interesting.
how did you do it? Each have their own deck? Or each using the same deck? (i.e. the same new card inserted every turn?)

I usually play vs 2 Automas, too. Lots of fun!
Two different factions of course.
Two different decks and independent deck development (cards added).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JuanLiShai wrote:
Sounds interesting.

Different decks (you just need numbers from 1-17(?))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
msg tools
I frequently read on the forums but up until now haven't joined-due to this thread (and maybe too much light roast in my mug) I had to reply. GP automa play is wicked fun....my poor wife works on grading and lesson prep as I whine about the automa and his easy points....seeing however the suggestion to play with 2-3 automas has really peeked my interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.