3 Posts

Hotshots» Forums » Reviews

Subject: It's not "Flash Point" in the woods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerry Cranwell
msg tools
new user
Amazon suggested this to me based on adding a Flash Point expansion to my wish list- and I'm glad it did! As much as my family enjoys the structure fires depicted in that series of games, we have a family history of wildfire fighting with the California Department of Forestry, and had longed for a game which was more familiar...

Hotshots doesn't disappoint, offering a variety of tiles which represent the more commonly-encountered settings for a wildfire, as well as the tools and vehicles used to fight it. The '10,000-foot view' of the tiles does a good job of covering the hundreds/thousands of acres involved in a wildfire, while the fire advance cards capture the danger posed by shifting/strengthening winds; in fact, this mechanism is captured exceptionally well, with fires springing up from blown embers and jumping firebreaks, making a previously 'safe' area a new battleground.

The die-rolling tempts you to push your luck, although we played it safe the first round, not wanting to risk the blowup. After winning the first game rather handily, we tempted fate in the second game- and promptly scorched two tiles.

One note- don't save resources, use them up front to get the fire under control. Cover a large area with the plane, or a small area with the chopper, but get ahead of the flames early- it'll pay off once the wind picks up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you explain how different Hotshots and Flashpoint are to one another please. I have FP, and I was thinking of buying HS, but thought it might be too similar.
Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin De Witt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review Gerry. I have to say it means a lot to have someone whose family has a history of the subject speak so highly of our game. We worked really hard to get the unpredictable feeling of a wildfire into our game as well as all the tools and techniques used in the real world.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the game and thanks for sharing your take on Hotshots!

-Justin De Witt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.