Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://stonemaiergames.com/e-newsletter/

It is a big surprise to me to see that the first expansion for Wingspan has already been designed and developed. Having already played this game on Tabletopia and loving it, I am really excited for what else is to be added to this game.

I'm speculating a 6th player mat and a new continent of birds cards with new and old abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based off the code names?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, it's been designed, but playtesting is still underway (as is the substantial art), so it'll be a while before it's ready. But yeah, we finished everything for the core game way back in the spring (that's when it went into production), so Elizabeth took a break, and then I invited her to return and work on an expansion a little while ago. She is EXCELLENT at designing unique cards, so even after the 170 bird cards in the base game, you're in for a treat in the first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news! Fingers ready to hit your site tomorrow morning. I assume you guys will have the "BUY NOW" button up and going at the crack of dawn, seeing as you're probably, uh, early birds, right?

Never too late in the evening for dad puns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We typically open orders around the same time I send out the monthly e-newsletter. So, it should be around 9:30 am CST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
An expansion already? Welp, looks like Wingspan and Everdell: Pearlbrook are about the only two board games I'll be playing in 2019.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion news already being discussed for this one really makes me happy. Have a strong feeling this will be one of my most played games this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I had something to say...what was it?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since an expansion (at least one) is already in the works, was the box designed to hold more than the base cards? Will all cards fit comfortably in the tray?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The box was designed to hold the game, plus room for more cards. The insert tray can hold more unsleeved cards. However, all of this was designed well before we started working on an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flashburn
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always take note from a company like AEG, who release an expansion that also includes a bigger box to store it, and everything before (and after) it. Obviously this assumes there will be more than one expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://stonemaiergames.com/one-box-to-rule-them-all/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flashburn
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Haha, of course you've already written a blog post about this!

Personally unless the insert is *really* nice, I'm fine with just tossing it and storing all my cards in baggies. I simply have too many games to keep every expansion in it's own box, not to mention it can make some games a real pain to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll add what ever cards come in an expansion to custom tuck boxes if need be. The idea of making a box extra big just to maybe hold expansions is impractical. Us board gamers find a way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
The box was designed to hold the game, plus room for more cards. The insert tray can hold more unsleeved cards. However, all of this was designed well before we started working on an expansion.

Thanks for the reply! Notwithstanding the uncertainty, you've got one more champion and one more sale of Wingspan

Anecdotally, with regard to the poll in your blog post, I store everything in the base box (assuming it fits) and still hold onto the expansion boxes. They have their own space on my shelves.

In some cases, I find other uses: my Pandemic On the Brink box, for example, actually currently stores some PnP games I never got around to finishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solorender wrote:
I’ll add what ever cards come in an expansion to custom tuck boxes if need be. The idea of making a box extra big just to maybe hold expansions is impractical. Us board gamers find a way

This brings back memories of the ducktape boxes my friends and I used to make for our MTG decks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.