Terraforming Mars» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Oddly satisfying game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
arah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just played Thorgate, with the long term goal of beating high scores per corporation (just the core game for now). Before this game, I had:

Credicor: 110-119 tier.
Most of them: 100-109 tier.
Inventrix, Mining Guild and Thorgate: 90-99 tier.

I started with designed microorganisms, industrial complex, electro catapult and lava flows. In the early turns there was acquired company, mining area (for titanium), methane from titan and on one turn both archebacteria and lichen when the temp was exactly -24. Then a mohole and temperature + ocean space events to round it up.

The way the starting cities were placed, tiles placed with cards, and unable to afford cities early on meant I had to stick to circling Noctis to get more plant placement bonuses. The starting greeneries were facing outwards so I also had to deal with the starting cities being in the way.

From the start to the mid game it felt solid, and then when I was dancing around Noctis, even consistently improving all the parameters, it felt like it would be a low score game.

And then I got Noctis! and with oxygen at 11%, helped by an ore processor, but mostly with the massive 6 plant production, it made sense to keep open city, too.

Near generation 12, it became clear the planet was pretty much done being terraformed. Capital and Underground city meant I could use the energy dedicated for the ore processor to build both cities, and investment loan was the icing on the cake. Totally unnecessary since I had an excess of ~10 megacredits at the end.

Besides the cards showing up at the right moments, what was better was that all the productions near the end game had very clear and precise purposes. I got all the plant placement bonuses, and ended with 2 with +6 from the last production, so it was exactly for another greenery. Energy had some leftover resources but 0 production. Heat had exactly 8 production a turn and 0 leftover, and the bacteria card was exactly the turns in play it needed to cap off temperature. Metal had 3 production and 0 leftover and was in high demand. I had some leftover titanium though, since there weren't any space cards near the end. As for the oceans, all the event cards that gave oceans were used exactly, and I didn't get more once oceans were maxed.

The board looks mostly greeneries and cities surrounding the whole equator both up and down. Got 106, so yay Thorgate moves up one tier. For some games where stuff doesn't seem to work, there are also others where you get stuff that works like clockwork.

So, has something similar happened to any of you? I don't want to teardown the game as it left me perplexed. Should I just enshrine it like some people do with Pandemic Legacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some 12x scores with IC and credicor, and yeah those game really feel awesome, your engine is going strong and well and those high scores feel soooooooo good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I hit 125 with Thorgate once.

It can be very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.