Blossoms» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Blossoms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
new user
We wanted another 2 person game to break up the habit of reverting to Jaipur or Hive etc all the time. Blossoms is a very simple and gentle game that can be as easy or tactical as you want to make it. Sometimes Blossoms reminded me of Bohnanza, as it has common planting and harvesting elements but the main difference is that in Bohnanza your fields are your own and here in Blossoms you share flowerpots so you have to be a bit more tactical with when you harvest!

After a few rounds according to the rules we did switch it up a bit because we found that the game was over too quickly - the box states a game is 20 minutes but we found it more like sub 10 minutes. To counteract this we reshuffled and played through the stack 3 times in one longer game - to do this requires you to keep score manually as you go along rather than totting up your bunches of flowers at the end (otherwise the card deck gets depleted).

I purchased blossoms for £10.50 from our local board game cafe and I am really pleased with the value for money. This game is nice and easy to learn, each time you play you can develop your tactical thinking and it would be a good companion to take travelling if you decanted it into a smaller tub/tin (see my next point for why!).

My major gripe with the game is the size of the box, it is way too big! The cards are larger than average with gorgeous artwork but even still, the box is 3 times as big as it needs to be, the designers must know this because two thirds of the box is dedicated to cardboard inserts that are just space fillers. Perhaps they are leaving room for planned expansion components? Who knows! I have contemplated making a smaller box for the game because shelf space is at a premium!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.