Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: favorite KH and IH investigators ancient ones and heralds? (and guardians) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bo eskew
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonna get the rest of the expandy bois I need in my collection soon but before they come I would appreciate it if you guys recommend your fave AOs to play against or which ones to use in a first game using IH, KH or black goat of the woods. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quachil Uttas is my favorite Ancient One, hands down. The Dust deck is thematic and really instills a sense of dread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that almost without exception, the Investigators and Ancient Ones are not thematically tied to their expansion. So a "first-time" Kingsport game will be just as effective with investigators and AOs from Innsmouth, etc. It is the board and Mythos decks that are most important mechanically toward an expansion's theme.

For Ancient Ones:

I think Atlach-Nacha is the most interesting AO from Kingsport, but it is also the most difficult. You have to really be on your game to stand a chance.

There are a few Innsmouth AOs I like:

Bokrug has a very interesting bargaining mechanic where investigators spend trophies to release various penalties on themselves, and those releases carry over to final combat.

Ghatanothoa has a Russian roulette mechanic whenever a player obtains 2+ clues at once.

Quachil Uttaus simulates the boss's avatar tirelessly stalking an investigator, and they must spend clues to constantly evade being caught or else eventually die trying.

For Investigators:

I'm not going to talk about the investigators much because I think they are all very interesting. Though I will say that Silas Marsh deals with aquatic board spaces. While Kingsport and Innsmouth both have plenty of these, Silas is the only investigator thematically tied to an expansion (Innsmouth). Patrice Hathaway is vastly overpowered. Depending on what you're looking for, she is either a relief from the game's difficulty, or extremely un-fun.

Caution:

I will recommend some Ancient Ones to avoid as your first play.

Zhar and especially Rhan-Tegoth have special abilities that randomly trigger, can't be mitigated, can chain-trigger themselves, and have a significant impact on game difficulty. In other words, they're swingy, and without recourse on behalf of the players.

Similarly, if you're feeling like using heralds and the like, don't use Father Dagon. He's swingy too: he strips players of their clue tokens, which is not fun, and then penalizes you a doom token if not everybody had a clue to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also give a thumbs up to Nyogtha -- we had some really close calls with the Tendril when we played him which made for a very entertaining game. Have a couple backup investigators on standby!

Another one that is a lot of fun thematically is Y'Golonac with his tomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, tough choice! Eihort is creepily thematic and quite a lot of fun; the same can certainly be said for Nyogtha.

Perhaps for a first time game Ghatanothoa would be the best choice, since he has a long doom track and creates quite a lot of suspense and tension with his "flip a face if you pick up two or more Clues" mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.