Wargames» Forums » Historical Context

Subject: Readable book on Barbarossa? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Broken Axe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading Barbarossa: Hitler's Invasion of Russia by David Glantz. I found the book to be borderline unreadable. This could be that I am relatively new to military structure and history as I picked up this book on the solid recommendations online.

I am currently reading Omaha Beach by Joseph Balkoski and am finding his style incredibly enjoyable and readable.

Glantz seemed all strategy and tactics with sentence to sentence references of armies, officers, locations, etc. There was not really any prose. I also find myself enjoying the first person accounts in Omaha Beach.

So, like the title says, I guess I'm looking for a Barbarossa book that is similar in style to Omaha Beach, A Bridge Too Far, etc. Something with an overall discussion of strategy and tactics with some story telling in between?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War Without Garlands, Kershaw. Informative and readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Broken Axe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OhBollox wrote:
War Without Garlands, Kershaw. Informative and readable.

Thank you, this was on my list but wasn't sure about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's scholarship has been surpassed in recent years but I still think that Alan Clark's Barbarossa The Russian-German Conflict is one of the best single volume accounts of this war. It is eminently readable and engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenAxe wrote:
I just finished reading Barbarossa: Hitler's Invasion of Russia by David Glantz. I found the book to be borderline unreadable. This could be that I am relatively new to military structure and history as I picked up this book on the solid recommendations online.

I am currently reading Omaha Beach by Joseph Balkoski and am finding his style incredibly enjoyable and readable.

Glantz seemed all strategy and tactics with sentence to sentence references of armies, officers, locations, etc. There was not really any prose. I also find myself enjoying the first person accounts in Omaha Beach.

So, like the title says, I guess I'm looking for a Barbarossa book that is similar in style to Omaha Beach, A Bridge Too Far, etc. Something with an overall discussion of strategy and tactics with some story telling in between?

BTW the latest "Wargames to Go" podcast has an interview with Balkoski where he talks extensively about his approach to writing and how he became an expert on the Normandy campaign, and argues that his approach to writing and history is fundamentally sourced in his experience as a gamer and game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Broken Axe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
BrokenAxe wrote:

BTW the latest "Wargames to Go" podcast has an interview with Balkoski where he talks extensively about his approach to writing and how he became an expert on the Normandy campaign, and argues that his approach to writing and history is fundamentally sourced in his experience as a gamer and game designer.

I actually listened to that and it is what prompted me to read his book. I enjoyed that interview immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenAxe wrote:
mcszarka wrote:

I actually listened to that and it is what prompted me to read his book. I enjoyed that interview immensely.

Glad to hear it! Now you've given me a good lead, as I've just put a library hold on War Without Garlands, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa Unleashed by Craig Luther covers Army Group Center and includes first person accounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I know it's scholarship has been surpassed in recent years but I still think that Alan Clark's Barbarossa The Russian-German Conflict is one of the best single volume accounts of this war. It is eminently readable and engaging.

Completely agree, Clark's book is BY FAR the best written narrative I've read on the subject, old as it is. Glantz and Erickson are tough reads, with Albert Seaton not far behind, although there is great info to be gleaned from all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.