Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No more copyright for a plethora of works, ripe for designers and publishers to pluck.

https://lifehacker.com/these-1923-copyrighted-works-enter-th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix the Cat!
Bambi!
Some works by H.G. Wells as well as M.C. Escher!

Looks good to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes! We Have No Bananas."

Oh, it has already been done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Shannon
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Spread Joy
mb
Safety Last! could make a great dexterity race game. Bambi could be excellent especially in the hands of a talented artist who could give it a life of its own separate from the Disney version (Beth Sobel would be my pick). Some of Agatha Christie's Poirot just entered public domain, he seems like an obvious choice. I think "Yes! We Have No Bananas" could easily be a sequel to Win, Lose, or Banana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Any comment I could make about 1923 and malevolently-corporate copyright laws would get me a 24 hour ban, and the whole thread moved to the RSP forums.

To address the OP ... some of Keaton, Chaplin, and Laurel/Hardy stuff maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iceman23 wrote:
Some of Agatha Christie's Poirot just entered public domain, he seems like an obvious choice. I think "Yes! We Have No Bananas" could easily be a sequel to Win, Lose, or Banana.

Hercule Poitrot is back and his latest case is more demanding than anything before:
In "Yes! We Have No Bananas" he needs to figure out, why "The Greek" doesn't get any bananas delivered anymore and why he is so happy about it ...
Especially when considering, that he did get bananas last week ...
Hmmmmm....

Still looks good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone really clever could do something with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the press. Does this mean Hercule Poirot an Jeeves are now in the pubblic domain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is the specific works, but not necessarily the characters in their entirety. For example, Steamboat Willie will now be in the public domain relatively soon, but Micky Mouse is still under copyright. So, if Quentin Tarantino wanted to do a Steamboat Willie reboot based on the story, he could do it, but I don't think he could use Micky Mouse, just a mouse that looks a like the image from that specific cartoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Shannon
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Spread Joy
mb
capricorn_tm wrote:
Hold the press. Does this mean Hercule Poirot an Jeeves are now in the pubblic domain?

I honestly have no idea how character use works with public domain. One Poirot novel was already in the public domain in the US prior to this (The Mysterious Affair at Styles) but the vast majority are still protected (and in the UK, all are still protected).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Mycetes Bass
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl Sandburg's Rootabaga Stories has been public domain for some time. But now, the sequel book, Rootabaga Pigeons, published only one year later, has joined it. The original Maud and Mishka Petersham illustrations must inspire someone to make a children's game. These were among my favorite books as a child, with Gimme the Ax, the Village of Liver-and-Onions, the zigzag railway going "Pfisty-foost, Pfisty-foost" and especially, the Long Yellow Leather Slab Ticket With a Blue Spanch Across It. Sandburg once said, this was the hardest writing he ever did. By the way, either leave Wing Tip the Spick out of the game, or change her name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:

Short answer: No

Long answer: It's complicated. Copyright law varies between countries, particularly between the US and most of the rest of the world with respect to literary works. Most countries apply 'life of author plus 50/70 years' for copyright protection to literary works. Agatha Christie died in 1976, so her works are still under copyright for any country with that regime. Ditto PG Wodehouse, who died in 1975.

In the US, until the 1970s or so works were protected by publication date rather than the death of the author, so some works are now starting to come out of copyright. But if a character has some works that are in copyright, and some that are not, it can be a bit of a vexed question as to whether the 'character' is out of copyright, and what that even means. Laws vary between countries. In the US, Sherlock Holmes was found to be a public domain character even though a few stories were still under copyright, as the majority were not and the court considered that the essential elements of what made him a character had passed into the public domain. But someone had to risk being sued by the Conan-Doyle estate to establish that.

And of course, copyright is not the only thing protecting characters - they can be trade marked too. Trade marks can protect characters as being the property of a specific person or corporation in perpetuity. So in 2023 when Steamboat Willie comes out of copyright in the US (incidentally, it's already out of copyright in most countries), it will be legal to reproduce it, screen it, etc. for free, and it may be legal to create a new work with the character of Mickey Mouse in it, but it would not be legal to sell that work, as that becomes 'trade', and the trade mark rights kick in (and even distributing it for free is likely to be problematic due to laws like 'passing off' and reputational issues with using well-known trade marks like Mickey). You'd have to take on Disney's lawyers to find out. Good luck with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark B wrote:
I think it is the specific works, but not necessarily the characters in their entirety. For example, Steamboat Willie will now be in the public domain relatively soon, but Micky Mouse is still under copyright. So, if Quentin Tarantino wanted to do a Steamboat Willie reboot based on the story, he could do it, but I don't think he could use Micky Mouse, just a mouse that looks a like the image from that specific cartoon.

Mickey Mouse would pass into the public domain, too, but it is a trademark for Disney. Which is fair, because if you made a MM cartoon, people would assume that Disney made it.

You couldn't even make a cartoon with a mouse that looks like MM did in Steamboat Willie - because the image of MM is also a trademark. What you can do is show and distribute Steamboat Willie without paying Disney, and cut it up and use it in other works that couldn't be mistaken by anyone other than a moron in a hurry for something that Disney would actually make (which would honestly be tough.)

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_moron_in_a_hurry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
other_nebogipfel wrote:
... the zigzag railway going "Pfisty-foost, Pfisty-foost" ...

Did I hear Tony Boydell's name being called?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be a pretty lazily researched article... I'm pretty sure that all of Lovecraft's work is considered to be public domain already (yes Arkham House, but hasn't been tested and it's likely invalid)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.