8 Posts

Viticulture Essential Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Worth getting as 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a m
Poland
flag msg tools
I have read several posts and reviews and still can't really decide if Viticulture would work for me and my wife. I am looking for a game which can be finished in at most 90 minutes, including set up and teardown.

Our favorite competitive game at the moment is Terraforming Mars with probably more than 50 plays. However this takes usually more than 120 minutes in total, and it is hard to predict the time (sometimes we play less than 90 minutes, and sometimes significantly longer than 120).

My biggest concern with Viticulture is if this won't get repetitive. For instance, we have played probably around 30 games of 7 Wonders: Duel and it became boring, we had maybe 2-3 decisions per players per game that weren’t obvious for us (btw. we don’t like the expansion which makes the game much less streamlined).

Another concern for me is a setup, cleanup and counting points time. We own Caverna which we both like, but we haven’t played it with 2 yet and I doubt that we ever will. We played Caverna 4 time, twice as 3-player and twice as 4-player. Setting those rooms is terrible at the beginning and sorting everything out at the end and putting to the bags is even worse. Additionally, there is zero randomness, so I’d expect that after several 2 player games we would come up with some strategy that we would think is best. We also hate spend time counting points and this is probably the only (besides play time sometimes) con in Terraforming Mars for us, we sometimes spend 10 minutes counting points.

I probably should mention that Agricola is probably still the most played game for us and we almost exclusively played it as 2 player game. We have for sure played more than 100 games. For a long time it was our only large modern game, but we have get rid of it and probably won’t play it again. My wife hates negative interaction, so two LCGs which I tried with her (Android Netrunner and Game of Thrones) were disastrous. We also own Through the Ages: a New Story of Civ which we like, but we play it very rarely, probably because it is even longer than Terraforming Mars and we prefer the latter.

If my question makes sense and you can recommend some other game which might meet my expectations, let me know. For now, I am also considering a Feast for odin. The main part is the play time which should not exceed 90 minutes with setup, cleaning and all, preferably 75 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From our viewpoint, I would give Viticulture (+ Expansions) a resounding yes!

Playtime is usually less than 90 minutes, though it can go longer if we are tired or haven't played in a while.

For a Euro, it is remarkably thematic. And there are many paths to victory.
It is possible to have a tourist vineyard, not making any wine but making lots of points from the cellar door ( presumably selling plonk from another vineyard). Or you can go down the route of making lots of cheap wine for a quick return. Or you can go for a few expensive difficult to make wines that rack up lots of points. All are viable strategies. I have won (or lost!) using them all.

The way the board "expands" for more players is really neat. It works well for 2p. And it works well for 6p.

Note that since we got it, we always use the Tuscany expansion, but mostly for the new board. We rarely bother with the other modules. We do use both the visitor expansions too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like "Terraforming Mars" you will Love "Viticulture Essential Edition"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Tuscany too- I'm 26 plays in as a solo player and I've just barely scratched the surface!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with viticulture EE plus the Moor Visitors cards.

If you like that then get Tuscany EE.

Also, if you don’t like negative player interaction then remove "The Queen” from the blue deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tylergingrich wrote:
Also, if you don’t like negative player interaction then remove "The Queen” from the blue deck.

Now you mention it, there are a number of visitor cards that don't work well in a 2p game. They are all along the lines of "Let the other players do something. Get a reward for each one who does". We just draw a replacement if we have one come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since you seem to be heavy on worker placement, I would recommend checking out Targi.
A whole different type of 2p game I enjoy a lot is Raptor, and if you are into chess-like games, check out Onitama and Santorini.

For games that scale to 4 but play well with 2, I would look at Great Western Trail and Grand Austria Hotel.

I can't comment on Viticulture yet, just got it for christmas, based on the recommendations that it plays best with 3 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We too love Terraforming Mars. One of our other favorite 2p games is Viticulture EE (with or without Tuscany and/or Moor). SO you won't go wrong on this one! There's even a lot of theme, especially for a euro.

Terraforming Mars is more like an engine builder, where VEE is a race game.

And yes, Grand Austria Hotel works also very well with two: nice twist on set collection.
I also like Concordia with a smaller board like Corsica. This game is about route building, deck building and set collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.