6 Posts

War Chest» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tier list. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mathieu brunet
msg tools
mb
I tried creating a tier list of all unit with what I experienced so far. I'm curious of what could be yours?

Here it is:

Tier S
Knight: difficult to remove
Royal Guard: good maneuverability and difficult to remove
Scout: the tactics is too good in early game. especially if you combo it with a fast unit.

Tier 1
Archer: ranged attack
Crossbowman: ranged attack w/ adjacent attack
Cavalry: tactic is good granting you good board control
Mercenary: versatile all the game, you can rush control point or you can wait and do real damage with it in the late game

Tier 2
Pikeman: good zone control/defense. very good in the late game.
Light Cavalry: best maneuverability.

Tier 3
Ensign & Marshall: good tactics, need a lot of strategy to use it
Warrior Priest: OK, will be good some times.
Berserker: when used correctly, this is a good and versatile unit.
Lancer: good board control, but no adjacent attack and need more strategy to use it correctly.

Tier 4
Swordsman: generic
Footman: need too much coin to be effective and can be picked off easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorenzo mastropaolo
Italy
flag msg tools
i am agree that footman and swordsman are weaker.
the other ones..i am not agree.

best combo:
berserker +ensign.
you bolster 5 berserker and activate them with ensign.
move attack attack attack retreat.
i did many times.

marshall is devastating sometimes.

tier S:
marshall,berserker

tier 1:
archer chavalry pikerman knight

tier 2:
light cavalry ensign scout royal guard crossbow mercenary warrior priest lancher

tier 3 swordman footman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Sheeley
msg tools
Ensign should absolutely be in one of the top two tiers. Massively increases the utility of all of your troops. Berserker should also definitely be higher. If you stack it up, nothing can get anywhere close to it without immediate threat.

Very surprised to see the Scout so high up. People seem to like it on the forums, and yeah it can be useful, but I'm not at all convinced it is high tier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
I understand the utility of discussing about tiers, this is definitely a good topic.

But, in such a game (and in almost all AEG games, that's why AEG is my favourite publisher) there are many possible strategies, and each of them make the utiliy of each unit change a lot.

However, this topic is interesting and useful, in my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathieu brunet
msg tools
mb
I do agree, that combo wise certain unit may vary, but in my thinking the tier list is mostly the unit by itself. If you're not playing open draft the unit needed to combo off may not be available. Also I based it a little bit on of draft pick, when a unit is universally picked in the top 3, usually mean it's a good unit. I know it will depend on the players but it helped in my decision.

example for me light cavalry and scout is quite great early game by taking control of more advanced control point fast.

The Berserker is the unit I wasn't sure, when we begun, we played it wrong by removing the coin when using his tactics. It changed somewhat since we corrected it. same thing with archer and lancer their ranking changed according with playing the unit correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
Royal Guard and Mercenary are the best two units IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.