Subject: New players! Hi! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. Came here to share a short story and briefly, non-spoilers talk about the game!

Firstly, the wife and I absolutely stumbled into this game. We had a Bed, Bath, and Beyond Giftcard (I know right?). Of course we didn’t go in looking for a board game haha! Sure enough, walking through the store it caught our eye. The wife asks, “do you want it?”. I respond, “maybe? Probably not very good though right?” We were VERY surprised to see it’s actually ranked 271 on bgg overall! Wow! We thought heck, let’s get it!

Oddly enough the game was sitting on a 40% off Harry Potter specific rack! Hahaha, and even better.. at the checkout the lady in front of us went out of her way to hand us an extra $5 off any purchase coupon she had.

In the end. We left Bed Bath with a Harry Potter board game for $25! Haha super unexpected.

——————

Tonight we broke it out and played games 1 and 2. To our expectations with bgg ranking; we loved it!

Guess my only questions are. Does the game get harder? We played with no starting location ticks (for difficulty), and both first two games were an absolute breeze!

Reading the booklet of game 3,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
obviously dealing with two villains at once will be a problem.
But is that all to expect? Still seems easy? Maybe not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El3mentGamer wrote:
Hey guys. Came here to share a short story and briefly, non-spoilers talk about the game!

Firstly, the wife and I absolutely stumbled into this game. We had a Bed, Bath, and Beyond Giftcard (I know right?). Of course we didn’t go in looking for a board game haha! Sure enough, walking through the store it caught our eye. The wife asks, “do you want it?”. I respond, “maybe? Probably not very good though right?” We were VERY surprised to see it’s actually ranked 271 on bgg overall! Wow! We thought heck, let’s get it!

Oddly enough the game was sitting on a 40% off Harry Potter specific rack! Hahaha, and even better.. at the checkout the lady in front of us went out of her way to hand us an extra $5 off any purchase coupon she had.

In the end. We left Bed Bath with a Harry Potter board game for $25! Haha super unexpected.

——————

Tonight we broke it out and played games 1 and 2. To our expectations with bgg ranking; we loved it!

Guess my only questions are. Does the game get harder? We played with no starting location ticks (for difficulty), and both first two games were an absolute breeze!

Reading the booklet of game 3,
obviously dealing with two villains at once will be a problem.
But is that all to expect? Still seems easy? Maybe not?

The first three years are relatively easy. Wait until you get to year 5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Young
United States
Topanga
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you found this fun game! Yes - the game gets MUCH harder as you move through the years. We had to replay both Year Five and Year Seven several times to win. Have a great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
games 1 and 2 especially are easy, and are really designed to be basic introductory tutorials for people not familiar with deckbuilder games.
3 gets a little harder, but not terribly so, especially since you gain some extra abilities in that game.
4 and 5 are where it really starts to get interesting, followed by 6, where you gain some more abilities, and then 7 is full of complexities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You start dealing with 3 villains and many other obstacles. It definitely gets harder. The expansion is ridiculously hard as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys.

Super stoked to have found this game, and to have enjoyed it. Looking forward to later games; expecting a good challenge devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Willis
msg tools
mbmbmb
We found that Year 3 was significantly harder than 1&2. The fact that you have
2 villains at once
can really ramp up the difficulty - sometimes it's fine, but other times they just seem to work together!

Likewise, at points when you're
revealing 2 dark arts cards at once
, it can get really tricky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets harder - especially game 7, but game 5 is also notable.

But please note that the game is always super easy with 2 players. (There are recommendations here that each player should play with 2 heroes.)

As for 3 and 4 player I'd say that 4p is a little easier than a 3p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
txnull wrote:
As for 3 and 4 player I'd say that 4p is a little easier than a 3p game.

I completely disagree with that. Four players is harder because you have a 1/4 ratio of building cards to dark arts/villain effects, vs 1/3 in 3 players (and 1/2 in 2 players, which is why it is easiest). So your deck will have fewer powerful cards and fewer reshuffles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhyNotSmile wrote:

Well we played Game 3 last night. Also a breeze.
Hero abilities are amazing.
The extra attack chit I frequently pulled was very helpful. We prevented the Villains from capping ANY locations.

Onto the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
El3mentGamer, do you and your wife tend to play as the same heroes in each game or do you mix it up? (nothing wrong with keeping the same characters, but once you get a good handle on the game, sometimes having some variety can be even more fun).

I remember when I first played through the game, we would randomly deal out heroes, then play through a year/game. And after that, before moving onto the next year/game, we would replay that same year, but with the two characters that we didn't use the first time through. Just an idea.

Also, AlEx's suggestion above regarding each player playing with two characters can be fun too. Though that requires each player managing two separate decks and hands and everything. (certainly do-able. I often play solo, using all 4 characters. But some people find that to be too much work).

And while you probably are playing the rules right, I'll just mention some of the common beginner mistakes that I've seen some people make, just so you can ensure that you are playing correctly:

1) as you progress through the games, you will use all of the villians*, dark arts cards, and hogwarts cards from the previous games in addition to the new cards revealed in the newly-opened box. (there is one exception in games 6 and 7, where a certain villian card replaces a previous card, but for the most part you just keep adding on).
However, you only play with one set of Locations, the 2-4 locations that are found in the current game's box.

2) At the end of each of your turns, you must place all of your cards from that turn into the discard pile, even if you didn't play them, and then draw 5 new ones. You can't "hold" a card to save it for the next turn. Also, at the end of your turn, any unassigned attack or unspent influence tokens are lost. Though any attack or influence you gain during other heroes' turns remain (since you can't assign attacks or spend influence on other players turns anyway). However, if you become stunned, you have to discard any of your unassigned/unspent tokens regardless of whose turn it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
El3mentGamer, do you and your wife tend to play as the same heroes in each game or do you mix it up? (nothing wrong with keeping the same characters, but once you get a good handle on the game, sometimes having some variety can be even more fun).

I remember when I first played through the game, we would randomly deal out heroes, then play through a year/game. And after that, before moving onto the next year/game, we would replay that same year, but with the two characters that we didn't use the first time through. Just an idea.

Yes we have so far played the same two Heroes for the first three games. We considered switching but with the
newly added Hero specials
from game 3 we decided to stay. We'll probably switch it up next time.

I'm also pleased to say, with all of your comments we have been playing correctly. All villains, all dark arts, and only locations from current game. And yes stun makes you lose out on a good turn in many ways, and we are aware to use everything you can in a turn because NOTHING carries over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Brown
msg tools
I would definitely start playing 2 heroes each. Makes the game much more of a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.