BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Crits and Fumbles convention...High or Low? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Fennel
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just curious about Crits and Fumbles in combat oriented games. I know in RPGs the convention is firmly established that a 20 is a Crit and a 1 a Fumble. But in strategic combat games it seems opposite. Wondering if it matters and what people expect. We're using a D12 system. Thanks for any input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Jamieson
Australia
Yokine
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is pretty arbitrary. As you said with a D20 (which basically means DnD or similar system), usually 20 is a crit and 1 a fumble, yet with D100 rolls, it is usually used that 100 is a fumble because the best known skill based RPG systems using this have a lower roll being better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working from memory here which may be faulty, but I always thought the revised AH RuneQuest with percentile dice was kind of elegant.

1. Roll lower than your target # for success.

2. If your roll is a multiple of five then it's a crit, success or failure based on which side of the target your roll falls.

The system further had several levels of crits... A multiple of 20 (or was it 10?) for an even more extreme result in either direction.

What I like about that system is that the odds of a crit result change based on the target number skill/difficulty, with no math or charts needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience has been that systems where high rolls are better tend to use high numbers for crits and low numbers for fumbles, and systems where low rolls are better tend to do the reverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fennel
United States
California
flag msg tools
That's a pretty interesting mechanic, the multiples of five for crits or fumbles, depending on success side or failure. Thanks Klaus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffX99 wrote:
That's a pretty interesting mechanic, the multiples of five for crits or fumbles, depending on success side or failure. Thanks Klaus!

You're welcome, Jeff.

Here's another interesting one that came to mind. Interesting, but less elegant....

In Shadowrun (5th Edition), a player rolls a number of d6 based on their skill level. Task difficulty determines how many 5's or 6's they need for success. The number of 5's & 6's OVER the target determine the LEVEL of success. Exceeding by 4+ usually being a critical success.

If over half the dice are showing 1's, that's some kind of fumble, even if the task attempt is also a success.

If over half the dice show 1's with NO 5's or 6's, that's a critical failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
My experience has been that systems where high rolls are better tend to use high numbers for crits and low numbers for fumbles, and systems where low rolls are better tend to do the reverse.

This has been pretty consistent in my experience too.

PlowStr8 wrote:
1. Roll lower than your target # for success.

2. If your roll is a multiple of five then it's a crit, success or failure based on which side of the target your roll falls.

But this is a really cool and surprisingly efficient system. I like the idea a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.