Hide
8 Posts

Betrayal Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: To sleeve or not to sleeve? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Hilk
msg tools
I just ordered this game today. I'm usually a compulsive sleever. Pretty much the only games I haven't sleeved in my collection are the Pandemic Legacy seasons, Betrayal (oddly enough), and a handful of games I got so cheap that I didn't bother.

My question: is this a game worth sleeving? Why or why not? If so, any idea how many (and what size) sleeves I need?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Palazini

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't bother sleeving the game until after you finish the campaign.

During the campaign, you're going to alter items/omens/events often enough so you'll be regularly pulling cards out of sleeves. There's also a legacy that you'll destroy cards from. And there's a whole different deck, the purgatory deck, that I have no idea what's inside.

Ultimately, if you want to regularly be fiddling with taking cards in and out of sleeves, go ahead and sleeve now. But otherwise, you're going to want to complete the campaign first; even if that's just to properly count how many sleeves you'll need once you've finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gondring
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
Would it be prudent to sleeve and then just write on sleeves rather than the cards themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockpaper Scissors
United States
flag msg tools
Gondring wrote:
Would it be prudent to sleeve and then just write on sleeves rather than the cards themselves?

That could work, but I'm not sure what kind of pen or marker would be effective (e.g. not smudge when cards are shuffled). I have a hard time writing on the cards as is with either ballpoint pens or fine-tipped markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharpies might work for that, but you'd want to do a few test runs first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would sleeve. You will be putting stickers on cards that stay around, etc.

If you want to know exactly how many cards and sizes ...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
57×108 mm
277 cards total

If you want to know how many are probably safe not to sleeve, since they just sit as placeholders ("stop", "when X happens", etc.) ...

37 cards, meaning 240 sleeves should be a safe bet.

How many cards are destroyed ...

Honestly, I have no idea. Play the game already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Hilk
msg tools
Thank you everyone for the information. I don't like the idea of waiting until the end of the campaign to sleeve because by then the cards will already have some wear and tear (if I'm going to bother sleeving, I want my cards to remain mint). I could probably just take the cards out of the sleeve to sticker or write on them when necessary, then put them back. Decisions, decisions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Cliff
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been sleeving cards as they get pulled from the legacy and purgatory decks. Yes, they're a little bit of a hassle to unsleeve, alter, and re-sleeve, but it doesn't slow down the game by much, especially if someone does that between turns.

The only problem I've run into is that sleeved cards don't fit nicely in the slots in the insert for the purgatory and legacy decks. That's why I sleeve after drawing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.