Garret Boivie
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Have fun stormin' the castle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Scythe 10 or 11 times now and some friends and I started a campaign for The Rise of Fenris. One of the players is Crimea and every turn she hands over a combat card and trades it in for a resource that she wants. Me and the other player haven't had a problem with that.

I recently took Scythe to my brother's over Christmas and played with he and his kids. His daughter was Crimea one game and when she read Crimea's faction ability she read it as she could only spend a combat card when she was spending resources on a bottom row action, not as an every turn spend a card and get a resource action.

My question is which one is the correct interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herschel P
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your niece's interpretation has been mine as well, otherwise it seems overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
The daughter is correct - the other is insane. He can spend cards instead of one resource, not to gain a resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Boivie
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Have fun stormin' the castle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:
The daughter is correct - the other is insane. He can spend cards instead of one resource, not to gain a resource.

Thank you for the clarification. I have never played Crimea and didn't really question the card a turn for a resource until my niece was doing it differently. I guess it explains why me and the other guy got thumped those first 2 Rise of Fenris games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimea may use a combat card in lieu of one resource when taking a bottom row action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing in the Crimea faction ability wording that suggests the way you've played it.

"You may spend a card as if it were any 1 resource token."

There's not even a room for interpretation here. Your niece is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Canada
flag msg tools
OurBG wrote:
There's nothing in the Crimea faction ability wording that suggests the way you've played it.

And thank god because it would be broken AF otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Semioteric wrote:
OurBG wrote:

And thank god because it would be broken AF otherwise.

Not sure I agree. I mean, obviously, this would be more powerful than the actual rule, but Crimea starts with zero combat cards and unless they are in a passive game, they would be wise to hang on to their highest 1-3 cards for use in combat. The effort required to get more combat cards can be reasonably high depending on the player mat they’ve drawn (and whether neighbors are enlisting if they have the enlist recruit). And even under combat card rich conditions, having the combat cards can be safer than having resources on the board. Resources can be poached; combat cards can’t.

I’m not really arguing this point too hard - I like the rule as is - but I think if that were the rule it would (should) encourage people to attack Crimea early and often (both to burn its combat cards and to steal its piles of resources). It would only be OP if the opponents allowed it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJS1971 wrote:

Not sure I agree. I mean, obviously, this would be more powerful than the actual rule, but Crimea starts with zero combat cards and unless they are in a passive game, they would be wise to hang on to their highest 1-3 cards for use in combat. The effort required to get more combat cards can be reasonably high depending on the player mat they’ve drawn (and whether neighbors are enlisting if they have the enlist recruit). And even under combat card rich conditions, having the combat cards can be safer than having resources on the board. Resources can be poached; combat cards can’t.

I’m not really arguing this point too hard - I like the rule as is - but I think if that were the rule it would (should) encourage people to attack Crimea early and often (both to burn its combat cards and to steal its piles of resources). It would only be OP if the opponents allowed it to be.

Crimea is in the best position of any to get an Enlistment star, that's Strategy #1 for Crimea in any game. Then if their neighbours are enlisting, Crimea ends up rolling in combat cards. If the neighbours are avoiding that and are upgrading instead, Crimea can happily Bolster for combat cards instead of power. Either way, it's not hard for Crimea to end up with a vast surplus of combat cards quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nielson Jugalbot
Canada
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
torgoshuffle wrote:
SJS1971 wrote:

Crimea is in the best position of any to get an Enlistment star, that's Strategy #1 for Crimea in any game. Then if their neighbours are enlisting, Crimea ends up rolling in combat cards. If the neighbours are avoiding that and are upgrading instead, Crimea can happily Bolster for combat cards instead of power. Either way, it's not hard for Crimea to end up with a vast surplus of combat cards quickly

Polania, Togawa and Albion have farm starting hexes but I agree with everything else you've stated. I've never seen Crimea run out of combat cards even when utilizing their faction ability on every turn. Depending on their player board, they can have a 2-card Bolster action by turn 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ako_ay_bisaya wrote:

Polania, Togawa and Albion have farm starting hexes

But Crimea is the only faction that starts with a Farm & Village combo, which means it can get an efficient farm engine running one turn earlier than anyone else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.