Subject: I Fancy that Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Hansen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's been a fair amount of discussion on powerful cards and powerful combos that seem to be generally universally adored, or at least held in high regard, by the community. Cards like Arise!, Library Access, Bait and Switch, Hunting Witch, Time Traveller, etc... These are cards most players see and understand their value clearly.

This isn't a thread about those cards. In this thread I'm hoping we could all take the time to discuss the cards we find useful, fun, or simply enjoy playing that are less common or perhaps even generally thought to be weaker overall by the community but that you've found affection for.

What card(s) that aren't held in common acclaim do you fancy?

I greatly enjoy Feeding Pit when I can make it work. Assuming I already have a decent Mars board built up I've found Feeding Pit is a great way to keep momentum up without taking the turns to develop other houses. I'm especially keen on using this card if my deck is closer to being cycled than not, or if I have a way to bring discarded creatures back from the discard. In terms of acceleration it's great to be able to get 1 aember from a creature card in a single turn when normally it'd take 2 (one to play and one to reap) and clear cards from houses that I don't need at the moment from my hand to keep riding the Mars train as long as it'll take me.

Pitlord is perhaps one of the most polarizing cards in KeyForge. Though it can certainly be a debilitating double-edged sword if played poorly this 9 Power, 2 aember, bomb when played in the right conditions can entirely swing the game and oppress the opponent, forcing them to play the game your way (even if you're locked into Dis by choice). The kicker for me is having a big bodied taunter in Dis to protect some of the more fragile Dis creatures (Shaffles, Ember Imp, Drumble, etc...). Even when I lose I usually have a blast playing Pitlord.

Soul Snatcher is another card that I really fancy. This card absolutely falls into the Dis double-edged sword category as well slapping a Soul Snatcher onto the table when you have a large board built up feels great. There's few cards that feel like true win condition cards in KeyForge given there's so many good answers to problems in this game (one of the things I enjoy most about it) but Soul Snatcher really scratches that itch for me. It amplifies the threat of having creatures on the board in an excellent way (leave them alone and they'll reap, destroy them and I benefit regardless). Pair this with a way to get those creatures back from the discard and now we're really talkin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's gotta be Kelifi Dragon:

The dragon is hard to get to the table. It is very fragile, as all creatures are to removal, but if it can stick, it'll have a massive impact on the game. I know it's a trap card. I shouldn't want to play it... but I can't help it. Dragons. I've got a thing for dragons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my own deck I like Staunch Knight. It’s a 4/2 sanctum that gains +2 power on a flank. I have a lot of upgrades and I can easily make it 8/3 with Elusive and Skirmish.

In a Deck I gave as a gift recently there were 4 copies of Mother. Draw 1 additional card. I was sort of jelly blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija
Croatia
Rijeka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Although it's certainly not thought to be weak, I think we can't have this discussion without probably the most fun card in the game: Wild Wormhole

The suspense, the thrill of the unknown, is it going to help me or ruin me? It's just super fun and I simply love that this card exists!

BurnsideBH wrote:

Pitlord is perhaps one of the most polarizing cards in KeyForge. Though it can certainly be a debilitating double-edged sword if played poorly this 9 Power, 2 aember, bomb when played in the right conditions can entirely swing the game and oppress the opponent, forcing them to play the game your way (even if you're locked into Dis by choice). The kicker for me is having a big bodied taunter in Dis to protect some of the more fragile Dis creatures (Shaffles, Ember Imp, Drumble, etc...). Even when I lose I usually have a blast playing Pitlord.

I also love that cards like Pitlord exist! Incredibly good but also incredibly dangerous if you're not careful.

Generally, although the game already has loads of amazing and fun cards, I hope they push this even further in the future. There are already enough similar Mars cards that deal damage for each revealed card or Sanctum creatures with "Play: capture 1". With other LCGs they had to be careful for each new card not to break the game so newly introduced cards are rarely inventive or weird. But with Keyforge they have the opportunity to be more creative than ever - and I hope they seize it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Probe

I have determined that I love Deep Probe the most.

When you call the right house at the right time, it can really change the tempo of the game in your favor, especially because you draw at the end of your turn.

If you call a wrong house, or if what you call is just lackluster, you still get to see the person's hand.

Sneklifter

This guy can change a whole game and has for me. I love him because if he's in your deck, it's like your deck has an extra Artifact and you don't know what it could be! It keeps your deck fresh to have this guy in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not sure whether or not this card is generally liked... But Troop Call can be fun.

I played "Weaver" against my wife the other day. It was such a fun game even though I lost. All throughout the game, my wife complained about how annoying my deck was (Troop Call, Gateway to Dis + Arise, Key Hammer, Charette, Effervescent Principle x2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Hansen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chadmart wrote:
For me it's gotta be Kelifi Dragon:

The dragon is hard to get to the table. It is very fragile, as all creatures are to removal, but if it can stick, it'll have a massive impact on the game. I know it's a trap card. I shouldn't want to play it... but I can't help it. Dragons. I've got a thing for dragons!

Ahh! I've yet had the opportunity to play a Kelifi but I imagine when you do pull off a sweep with it it's tremendously fun.

DerrickC wrote:
Deep Probe

I have determined that I love Deep Probe the most.

When you call the right house at the right time, it can really change the tempo of the game in your favor, especially because you draw at the end of your turn.

If you call a wrong house, or if what your call is just lackluster, you still get to see the person's hand.

Nice! Deep Probe is an awesome card. I'm doing my best to be more mindful of carefully checking my opponent's board and discard before playing it as well. There's just enough information in KeyForge that's known (those + 12 cards from each house), to make Deep Probe really powerful at the right time against the right deck.

waxbottle wrote:
Not sure whether or not this card is generally liked... But Troop Call can be fun.

I played "Weaver" against my wife the other day. It was such a fun game even though I lost. All throughout the game, my wife complained about how annoying my deck was (Troop Call, Gateway to Dis + Arise, Key Hammer, Charette, Effervescent Principle x2).

Wow that deck does look tremendously annoying to play against in all the right ways.

Thanks to everyone that's replied so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game where my opponent played Sloppy Labwork on the first turn.

I thought this was brilliant! Lets you draw two new cards for turn two, discard a perhaps not so useful card and archive another to set up a future turn, all in a one card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jdw734 wrote:

Was your opponent first or second player?

Rules state: During the first player’s first turn of the game, that player cannot play or discard more than one card from their hand. Card effects cannot modify this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waxbottle wrote:
jdw734 wrote:

Was your opponent first or second player?

Rules state: During the first player’s first turn of the game, that player cannot play or discard more than one card from their hand. Card effects cannot modify this rule.
First player. OOOO interesting! Rules are worth another read I guess, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When used offensively, Nature's Call is a respectable tempo hit and occasionally a way to get your captured aember back, but it's really satisfying to use on your own creatures. Play a Dust Pixie, bounce it back, play it again, and you're up five aember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kobold47 wrote:
When used offensively, Nature's Call is a respectable tempo hit and occasionally a way to get your captured aember back, but it's really satisfying to use on your own creatures. Play a Dust Pixie, bounce it back, play it again, and you're up five aember.

It also works well with Full Moon and Inka the Spider. Could also potentially allow you to forge two keys with Chota Hazri. Do it all over again by returning Nature's Call to your hand. Some very cool combos are possible with Untamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fond of Glorious Few (Sanctum Action "Play: For each creature your opponent controls in excess of you, gain 1."). It works well with my favorite kind of deck (low-creature count). It's great to be behind on the board, and suddenly collect 6+ ae in one shot. Best followed up with a Gateway to Dis or equivalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Screaming Mine. In my deck Tombbolt, "Attorney" of the Void it pairs really well with the Dis artifact that archives cards and the two copies of Gateway to Dis, plus the other control cards. A typical turn goes: reap with Dis creatures, Destroy all creatures, archive a card, play all Dis cards from hand, shuffle hand into deck, and hope to draw another Gateway so I can do it all again, all the while building up my archive until I can make a huge turn with one of my other two houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Hansen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I'm fond of Glorious Few (Sanctum Action "Play: For each creature your opponent controls in excess of you, gain 1."). It works well with my favorite kind of deck (low-creature count). It's great to be behind on the board, and suddenly collect 6+ ae in one shot. Best followed up with a Gateway to Dis or equivalent.

Nice! What’s your favorite / the most effective way to gain aember with your low creature count decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BurnsideBH wrote:
peakhope wrote:

Nice! What’s your favorite / the most effective way to gain aember with your low creature count decks?

My Deck OT Rockhopper has Epic Quest and 2x Glorious Few. 5 of the 12 creatures are Sanctum knights. Epic Quest allows me to archive the knights. Shadows allow me to gain aember by either playing cards and/or stealing. Brobnar is decent for having some board presence and for disrupting the opponent (2x tremor, opponent loses aember effects).

There have been quite a few games where I let the opponent build up a board of creatures, take all my archived knights, use Glorious Few (x2), and then play enough Sanctum to trigger Epic Quest.

It's a fun deck to play and very satisfying when I can pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BurnsideBH wrote:

Sadly, I don't own one. In pre-release online play, I had great success with Oneve Hava (10 creatures). It has above-average aember generation and above-average aember control (mostly stealing). That's not the deck that had Glorious Few, though.

The Glorious Few deck I played (Barely Skeptical Bureaucrat, also online pre-release) had an average creature count, but it seemed like my board was usually small. Most of the aember came from Glorious Few or the lovely Loot the Bodies+Cowards End combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Do or do not. There is no try.
mbmbmbmbmb

Coward's End

I like creature-heavy Brobnar decks, with "ready and fight" effects. Coward's End is the ideal board clearer for Brobnar: your creatures are fighting a lot of weenies and therefore are often damaged, while the big enemy creatures get removed by Coward's End. Or you clear the board first and then play your creatures, with ready and fight, and then reap due to a lack of other existing creatures.

Or with a

Wardrummer (another card I fancy)

...in your hand, you do both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite appreciate Wardrummer as well. She works so well with cards like Ganger Chieftan, Smaaash, and Bumpsy, and is a fantastic way to clean up a Brobnar fighting turn to heal up all your brutes.

I have a deck that is quite fun to play, despite not being very winsome. It has a few fun tricks, but this is one of my favorites:

The deck, Uzolin, Tillydrone's Swindler, has 2 copies of A Fair Game, and also has a copy of Phase Shift (another favorite). Using Pase Shift to play A Fair Game on a Logos turn, after emptying my hand with the help of Sloppy Labwork, is very gratifying--all the potential reward with none of the risk! The deck is appropriately named to boot, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waxbottle wrote:

I think your deck gives you a warped perspective of Troop Call. If I had 5 Niffle creatures in my deck, I'd probably like Troop Call a bit more as well. As is, I just think it is okay and sometimes terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
waxbottle wrote:

I think your deck gives you a warped perspective of Troop Call. If I had 5 Niffle creatures in my deck, I'd probably like Troop Call a bit more as well. As is, I just think it is okay and sometimes terrible.

Even with only one Niffle Ape to call, Troop Call is a lot like a Niffle Ape that gives you an aember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbblasterfire wrote:
waxbottle wrote:

Not at all. I've had other decks with Troop Call + 1 niffle ape. I did say that Troop Call can be fun.

I guess I should have said that I fancy this particular card in this particular deck. Troop Call isn't great, but it can be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Hansen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
I have a deck that is quite fun to play, despite not being very winsome. It has a few fun tricks, but this is one of my favorites:

The deck, Uzolin, Tillydrone's Swindler, has 2 copies of A Fair Game, and also has a copy of Phase Shift (another favorite). Using Pase Shift to play A Fair Game on a Logos turn, after emptying my hand with the help of Sloppy Labwork, is very gratifying--all the potential reward with none of the risk! The deck is appropriately named to boot, lol.

That deck sounds like a blast! Triple Hallowed Blaster seems rough in that deck, do you think that's part of what keeps it from being a more winning deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
BurnsideBH wrote:
That deck sounds like a blast! Triple Hallowed Blaster seems rough in that deck, do you think that's part of what keeps it from being a more winning deck?

Not significantly, though there are certainly better Sanctum artifacts than those, especially for this deck. I'd trade all three of them for any other three Sanctum artifacts. This deck is pretty fun to play, as it has a very unique flavor/personality. But its primary weakness is that it has no aember control, no key control, etc. I can only watch my opponent's aember pool rise and forge, rise and forge, with no recourse. There is one card--Take Hostages. But it's all but worthless for capturing most of the time. At least it grants a single aember. Out of nearly 2 dozen games with this deck, I've only managed to capture a single aember only once with Take Hostages. Only two Sanctum creatures--one of them essential to aember generation most of the time (not a fighter) limits its usefulness dramatically. Phase shift + Sigil of Brotherhood could make for a fairly good capture turn, but that hasn't panned out yet. This deck just isn't a fighting deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb

Powerful little guy. Love him/her. Took down 2 Brobnar giants in the same turn. Mooncurser fights and poisons/destroys Valdr. Reap with Nexus and use opponent’s Gauntlet of Command to Ready and Fight with Mooncurser. Mooncurser poisons/destroys Krump (or any unarmored creature). Stealing 2 æmber in the process. Just awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.