Subject: How well does this game play with two people? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugen Groh
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
I have a lot of games in my inventory that are just super lame to play with only two people so they are just sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Would you say this game becomes a lot less interesting if you only get to play it with two players? How does the strategy/feeling of 1v1 compare with having three or four players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galatolol 1
Poland
Kraków / Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedDragon88 wrote:
Would you say this game becomes a lot less interesting if you only get to play it with two players?

Yes. It's been discussed:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2097598/repeat-thread-root-...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2093067/2-player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the two player version isn't great. It definitely needs more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree. The 2-player experience is not where it's at. But I see potential for good 2-player scenarios if they are developed. I think the mechanics can facilitate this. So check back in a year or so to see what the fans have developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix ?
msg tools
If you do end up getting the game, the Better Bot Project is probably worth a look: Automated play for each faction, with upgrades/downgrades to adjust difficulty.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2068034/better-bot-project-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua F

New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Based on the few 2-player games I've tried, it's hit or miss. Depending on the faction choices and how the individual game plays out, it can be surprisingly good or...not so much.
The other day I had a wicked fun 2-player game w/ my son...he was Vagabond, I was Eyrie. I just barely won, but he greatly enjoyed throwing me into turmoil by hiding in the forest where I couldn't battle him to fulfill my decrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoitaan
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it most @2players due to my wife and I having moved +1300km away from our friends for a while.

Its good at teaching you the game well because you get turns more frequently and you have more time to analyse your opponents turn. 4 player ROOT is a bit intense because if you're not familiar, you have a lot of learn during your 3 opponents turns. Its easier for learning @2p but you'll need to go up to 4 to both experience the full game and learn the proper tactics when there's 4 competing interests at play.

But aside from learning, I don't think the game suits 2p well. You're missing out on what the experience of the game is supposed to be like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.