King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:

Hyperborea only looks visually similar, it plays very differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I’ve played which has given me a similar feel is City of Remnants. Deck-building integrated throughout a complex system of other mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dungeon Alliance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Zav
Ukraine
Kharkov
Kharkov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked for years and the answer is none. Not really. Closest I've found in feel is Gloomhaven, but that isn't a deckbuilder. But it felt low on randomness, high on tactics. In Mage Knight I often felt like I was making the best of the situation that I was presented, Race For The Galaxy has that in spades, but doesn't 'feel' like MK at all.

I looked for another MK a lot and the answer was simple: play and enjoy more MK

Oh and one more game that mildly feels a bit like MK to me: Renegades. Even has the same designer as one of the MK expansions. Also, check out most of Vlaada's games, I ended up liking almost all of them. But as a MK fan maybe start with Dungeon Lords or Petz (though there's nothing in common with MK other than a puzzle euro with theme). Tash Kalar is also good for that puzzle feel. (edit to prevent confusion: none of these games are 'like' MK, but I liked them after falling in love with MK and found out about them because it's the same designer, so hey, maybe you'll feel the same way)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistfall also has a similar feel, but still makes you wonder why you aren't just playing mage knight instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very surprised to not have read "Renegade" yet... It comes closest to the feel of puzzle every turn, which defines mate Knight for me... With some very basic cards there's so many possibilities to explore and to evaluate :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I should give Pirate Republic a second look. I placed it on my shelf of disappointments.
I've liked Mistfall, and put it with games that are great solo, but not diminishing next to MK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
goldeneyeonline wrote:
Very surprised to not have read "Renegade" yet...

Didn't get very far with the OP, did you? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven takes all of the decision-making in a single game of Mage Knight and thinly spreads it across one thousand sessions. Might be worth a look. The core gameplay is fairly similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you mean incorporating deck building as an element into a much larger game, StarCraft: The Board Game fits the bill. Out of print though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread makes me think I must be blind or missing something, because most recommendations given here would never be suitable alternatives to Mage Knight :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
This thread makes me think I must be blind or missing something, because most recommendations given here would never be suitable alternatives to Mage Knight :/

This is the issue, nothing is like MK. That's why I first prefaced my post with that. All my hunts for a MK like game have ended in mostly failure. And the other thing is, everyone interprets what 'like' means. I think Renegade and Gloomhaven are pretty close in MK feel, but it depends on what aspects you mean.

If you mean deckbuilding as part of an overall game, Cry Havoc would also do, but I don't think like Cry Havoc 'feels' like MK. Gloomhaven gives me a microcosm of the feel of MK (if you were to distill a MK battle into a whole game somehow). Renegade kind of gives me that deckbuilding feel where I'm trying to go around a map and do things and can attempt to use cards in inefficient ways. Given that I almost only play MK as a coop game, it has a good bit in common with it. But if you only played competitive, then less so.

The real answer is nothing is a lot like MK, so you have to settle for somewhat more removed recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
goldeneyeonline wrote:
Very surprised to not have read "Renegade" yet...

Didn't get very far with the OP, did you? whistle

Shit, apparently I didn't xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To support my first reply, where I suggested Hyperborea, it has some similarities: you build a bag of dice; you get better actions; you move on the map, with different terrains; you can attack monsters or other players.

When I read the rules the first time, I was immediately reminded of MK. It felt like a simpler, watered down MK.

Hyperborea has some flaws (especially regarding balancing factions) but it has the feel. Give it a try if you find it around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I loved Hypberborea the first time I played it. And then less and less each time after. By the 5th time I wanted to fix so much that it was either going to be a project where I made my own version or sell my copy, so I sold my copy. There's just way too much wrong with it. I'd say it's like MK only in that you go around the board and do stuff and it has some 'building' elements. But the actual game is way too unbalanced/luck based IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bit of a stretch but stick with me here.

Tramways

I'm basing this mostly on the card play.

-The cards have different powers on them that you can power up to your own detriment.

-Cards can be played sideways as tickets to move passengers.

-You're building a deck from a turn by turn offer.

-Void tickets are an analog for wound cards.

But I agree with the above. Nothing is really like MK. Renegade is probably the closest out there. And that's why I love MK. It's unique and unequaled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter griffin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've also tried to find other games that are similar in terms of building up power and having a strong tactical depth. Gloomhaven has the card play, but the gameplay can get repetitive and the power up happens only in the long term. Too Many Bones has the character progression within a single session, but the tactical choices can be limited as you rely more on attack and defense dice that you can roll each turn versus skill dice that are usually one time use per battle. I have looked into deckbuilding games like Aeon's End but have never tried those. How do those games play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Path of Light and Shadow has some deckbuilding, promoting and board movement/control mechanics that are similar to the Mage Knight feel. A big difference is that you are in control of a faction rather than an individual so the recruits that join your side enter your deck of cards and can be promoted themselves.

It has a very unique feel to it and one of my favorite deck builder style games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter griffin
msg tools
mbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
Path of Light and Shadow has some deckbuilding, promoting and board movement/control mechanics that are similar to the Mage Knight feel. A big difference is that you are in control of a faction rather than an individual so the recruits that join your side enter your deck of cards and can be promoted themselves.

It has a very unique feel to it and one of my favorite deck builder style games.

Thanks. I will take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.