Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
new user
There are games I look at and think, "I like the idea of this game; I wonder what other games exist that are similar." But I don't see any link anywhere that says "Related games" or "See more like this." Am I missing it, or does it not exist?

I think that would be a super useful feature, and a no-brainer to include on the site. I'm shocked it's not on every game's page (if it's not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a feature like that, but it doesn't exist currently. You can post in recommendations and say, "I like X, Y, Z, because... what else might I like?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
new user
That's so weird. Do you know why they removed that feature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Because it suggested silly shit. Recommendations are hard to accomplish algorithmically. With the advent of AI it might have become a little easier, but to my knowledge noone has yet trained a recommendation AI on BGG's dataset. The next best thing BGG can offer are Geekbuddies: people whose opinion on games you trust. You currently have zero buddies; you can add them by clicking on the black inverted triangle under someone's username, and then selecting the option 'Add Geekbuddy'. This will not do anything odd or strange, just add that user to your list so you can access their activities more readily. Whom to select... well, there's the rub of course meeple. That will take a bit of leg work on your part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of...

If you go to a game, click "ratings," look below the bar graph under Ratings Detail, There is a link to "View Similarly Rated Games." This will show you what people who rate that game highly also rate highly.

For example. You rated BattleLore (Second Edition) a 10. Here is a link to a list of games that people who rate Battlelore a 9 or a 10, also rate highly.

So, not so much "these games are similar," but more, "if you like this, also check this out." You should still take this with a grain of salt, especially with wildly popular titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
new user
I would think it'd be pretty easy for the AI to find similar games based on keywords in the description of the games and based on mechanisms and themes.

But thanks for the responses.

Also a GeekBuddy...does the person get notified if I add him as a GB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
new user
SJacobsen159 wrote:

For example. You rated BattleLore (Second Edition) a 10. Here is a link to a list of games that people who rate Battlelore a 9 or a 10, also rate highly.

So, not so much "these games are similar," but more, "if you like this, also check this out." You should still take this with a grain of salt, especially with wildly popular titles.

How would I do this for games I haven't rated? For example, I really think I'll like Orleans, so is it possible to see people who rates that game a 9 or 10? And then I guess I'd somehow see what they rate other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can click "15K ratings" under the title on the top of the game's page

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/164928/orleans/ratings?r...

then look in their profiles for other top-rated games

People don't get notified if you add them as a geekbuddy, but if they look at their profile, they can see who has added them as a geekbuddy (second box right side)

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/indigopotter/geekstuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks a lot for the info, indigo! Everybody else too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
thechristophershow wrote:
SJacobsen159 wrote:

How would I do this for games I haven't rated? For example, I really think I'll like Orleans, so is it possible to see people who rates that game a 9 or 10? And then I guess I'd somehow see what they rate other games.

I just chose that because it's your only rated game at the moment. It works for any game. Here's the same kind of list for Orleans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

You can get some of the related game information by looking at what is on a given game's page and using other BGG functions. A few examples based on the game Glory to Rome. If you go to the game page for Glory to Rome, you should be able to find the Classification part of the page. Within Classification, the page for Glory to Rome has the following sections:
Type
Category
Mechanisms
Family
Reimplemented By

For Type, Category and Mechanism, you can click on what's listed in each and you will be taken to other pages that are link to (often many) games that have the type, category or mechanism you clicked on. You can also use the "Adv. Search" link at the top of the main BGG page and search based on type (called subdomain in Adv. Search), category and mechanic to find games that share specific characteristics of the game you were interested in.

Family is a different kind of grouping that can't be searched using Adv. Search. There are a lot of game families on BGG, and if the game you are interested in is in a game family, you can click on that family and see other games in the family.

Reimplemented By lists ... descendants (?) of a given game.

Another feature is GeekLists. If you go to the More pulldown menu on a game's page and then click Geeklists, you can see the titles of a bunch of Geeklists that have that game in them. Some of them may focus on games similar to the game you started with.

And there's the recommendations forum here, which is a way to ask BGG users for games that fit whatever criteria you want to ask about. https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/8/boardgamegeek/recommendati...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I would think it'd be pretty easy for the AI to find similar games based on keywords in the description of the games and based on mechanisms and themes.

And you'd discover that the results would be shitty.

Quote:

No. You cannot prevent someone from making you a Geekbuddy either. The only thing the Geekbuddy sees is a counter going up. You can un-buddy someone at any point. Keep in mind that it is just an administrative tool to group a bunch of users together so you don't have to traverse tons of pages to get to their opinion on something. (There are almost no other search functions available.) It doesn't mean anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's so weird. Do you know why they removed that feature?
Simply put: it didn't work.

Pete (tried for a while to help populate it but it never really mattered)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

But thanks for the responses.

You don't get notified, but you can check who has geekbuddied you. Once in a while someone gets bent out of shape about it, but generally people don't care.

Pete (has noticed that there are a couple of dozen people silly enough to be geekbuddies with him)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rees
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
you could try this out:

https://recommend.games/

Apologies, I can't recall who originally posted this link. But it's an interesting project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
new user
dkrees wrote:
you could try this out:

Apologies, I can't recall who originally posted this link. But it's an interesting project.

Great link, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gnarlo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
LESS FILLING
badge
Guy Smiley
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd imagine that Steam, Amazon, and Facebook have magnitudes more resources to devote to doing just that sort of thing, and you should see some of the ridiculous "recommended for you based on your interests" suggestions the 3 services give me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Shepherd
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkrees wrote:
you could try this out:

Thanks for the mention! I actually only this week added something like the requested feature. If you go to the Burgle Bros page (https://recommend.games/#/game/172081) you get links to Paperback and Fugitive, amongst other. It's based on users' similar taste games, not necessarily similarity in mechanics etc, and it's still very basic, but I'd say it's not a bad start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Within Classification, the page for Glory to Rome has the following sections:
Type
Category
Mechanisms
Family
Reimplemented By

For Type, Category and Mechanism, you can click on what's listed in each and you will be taken to other pages that are link to (often many) games that have the type, category or mechanism you clicked on. You can also use the "Adv. Search" link at the top of the main BGG page and search based on type (called subdomain in Adv. Search), category and mechanic to find games that share specific characteristics of the game you were interested in.

Note that with Adv. Search you can search for all the Categories and Mechanisms at once, so if you want something very close to your target game, you can search for that. You can also add other stuff, so if you're thinking, "I don't really need the Medieval theme in Orléans, and I wish it had Auctions," you can do that.

bwingrave wrote:
And there's the recommendations forum here, which is a way to ask BGG users for games that fit whatever criteria you want to ask about. https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/8/boardgamegeek/recommendati...

This is usually the best advice, just watch out for people who don't really read what you're asking for. And from...
SJacobsen159 wrote:

Mage Knight: Ultimate Edition 9.53
Small World Designer Edition 9.27
Orléans: Deluxe Edition 9.24
Terra Mystica: Big Box 9.19
Duel of Ages II: Master Set 9.18

When someone pops for one of these, they're heavily invested the game. Check the ordinary version of the game for a more realistic view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.