Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sat down today to learn the game. While going thru my first practice game, I had a bit of trouble and wanted to clarify what looks like will be a very common occurrence.

For my first action, I choose to move. Entering a room, I flip the tile and collect the exploration token on top to set items amount and effect. I then roll for noise. I trigger a corridor that would place a second noise marker. I remove all surrounding markers, and grab a token from the bag and place the mini in my room. I then check to see if its a surprise attack.

Heres where a few questions arise. First, what is different about a surpise attack ? What if it isnt a surprise ? And the part Im having the most trouble with..... do I get a chance to do my second action ? If so, what is allowed and what isnt, and am I considered to be in a fight now that an alien is in the room, or not yet ?

Much appreciated in advance !
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tawin K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A surprise attack is just an intruder attack that happens on a players turn. It only happens when you draw an intruder token from the bag and you have fewer cards in your hand than the number on the back of the token. If you have enough cards in your hand then just place the intruder figure in the room. If you don't have enough cards in your hand then put the intruder figure in the room plus flip an intruder card as an attack and deal that amount of damage to the player. If that was the first of your 2 actions you can continue your turn now. Remember you can only use cards that are allowed in combat since there is an intruder in the room now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Xhawk wrote:
Just sat down today to learn the game. While going thru my first practice game, I had a bit of trouble and wanted to clarify what looks like will be a very common occurrence.

For my first action, I choose to move. Entering a room, I flip the tile and collect the exploration token on top to set items amount and effect. I then roll for noise. I trigger a corridor that would place a second noise marker. I remove all surrounding markers, and grab a token from the bag and place the mini in my room. I then check to see if its a surprise attack.

Heres where a few questions arise. First, what is different about a surpise attack ? What if it isnt a surprise ? And the part Im having the most trouble with..... do I get a chance to do my second action ? If so, what is allowed and what isnt, and am I considered to be in a fight now that an alien is in the room, or not yet ?

meeple

A surprise attack occurs when the intruder appears by drawing from the bag. It then draws the intruder attack card to check if the number in the top right corner (blood splatter icon) is greater than the number of action cards you are currently holding. If you are holding less than that number, u receive a attack.

A normal attack only occurs at the intruder attack phase (refer to the included reference card) on the player it is sharing a room with at that point in time. Note: if there are multiple players in the same room as the intruder, it attacks the player with the lowest number of action cards in hand, breaking ties clockwise from current first player.

Lastly u also receive an attack when u move out of a room containing an intruder, as part of the escape movement.

Back to the part about receiving a surprise attack after your first action, just continue with your turn. (To choose a second action or to pass)

As long as you are in a room with an intruder, you are considered to be in “combat” and as such, unable to play any actions that has the crossout gun symbol on the top right hand. General rule of thumb, if you are in combat you cannot make any actions that DOES NOT result in a) Attacking the intruder, b) moving out of the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tawin K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
actmoon wrote:
Xhawk wrote:

meeple

A surprise attack occurs when the intruder appears by drawing from the bag. It then draws the intruder attack card to check if the number in the top right corner (blood splatter icon) is greater than the number of action cards you are currently holding. If you are holding less than that number, u receive a attack.

A normal attack only occurs at the intruder attack phase (refer to the included reference card) on the player it is sharing a room with at that point in time. Note: if there are multiple players in the same room as the intruder, it attacks the player with the lowest number of action cards in hand, breaking ties clockwise from current first player.

Lastly u also receive an attack when u move out of a room containing an intruder, as part of the escape movement.

Back to the part about receiving a surprise attack after your first action, just continue with your turn. (To choose a second action or to pass)

As long as you are in a room with an intruder, you are considered to be in “combat” and as such, unable to play any actions that has the crossout gun symbol on the top right hand. General rule of thumb, if you are in combat you cannot make any actions that DOES NOT result in a) Attacking the intruder, b) moving out of the room.

Correction: You should check the back of the intruder token for the Surprise Attack value that you should compare with your hand. Not the blood splatter value on the card. The blood splatter value is only used when you damage an intruder, it is their random health. So you shouldn't be drawing a card automatically, only after you compare the value on the back of the intruder token with the number of cards in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
tkfire wrote:
A surprise attack is just an intruder attack that happens on a players turn. It only happens when you draw an intruder token from the bag and you have fewer cards in your hand than the number on the back of the token. If you have enough cards in your hand then just place the intruder figure in the room. If you don't have enough cards in your hand then put the intruder figure in the room plus flip an intruder card as an attack and deal that amount of damage to the player. If that was the first of your 2 actions you can continue your turn now. Remember you can only use cards that are allowed in combat since there is an intruder in the room now.

Can a surprise attack also happen at the end of the turn during the bag development phase? (when you draw an adult intruder token and have to roll for noise)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:
Can a surprise attack also happen at the end of the turn during the bag development phase? (when you draw an adult intruder token and have to roll for noise)
Yes, it works the same way if you have to roll for Noise or the Queen jumps on you while you are in the Nest during Bag Development phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.