Ludovic Tiengou
France
flag msg tools
mb
Well that's a very sad story in fact as my first experience of the game.

My pilot got stuck to start with a Bf110-F4 at Schipol.
1st and 2nd mission were on Munich Area....the worst possible area. no contact on both specially with a spoof raid on the 2nd.
3rd was cancelled due to poor conditions cry.
4th....nooooooooooooo not Munich area again.....and again spoof raid.
5th.....cancelled....are you kidding? Who rigged my dices to do the worst result possible?
6th....Munich...again devil. And guess what....no contact
7th....France. Ok that's better. Oh oh speak to quickly. Spoof raid. No contact finally. Well that's just another routine day at the office.
8th....guess what...munich area. again no contact...not sure but it's seems that a particular pattern is emerging in this career.
9th...at last a Berlin assignment. But the moon is not good now. Results....no contact
10th.....cancelled... Got the mood to kill kittens then.
11th....Munich....again. no contact....again. And worst conditions ever at landing. My pilot (prone to suicidal thoughts following his breaking with his dutch girlfriend the very same day perhaps. No one will ever know) get confused and think he was a Japanese pilot in 1945 near Okinawa and try (and for the first time succeed in something) a crash landing. Well I get killed in the process but at least he managed to reach an objective

Sad career indeed. But not unrealistic I guess as many of those young pilots were unable to score a single victory and get shot very quickly

I'm joking about it now but that was quite frustrating to play (to say the least). But hey let's try again shall I.
About that I have a question. I got a 10 on the list of assignment which based me in NJG5 at Berlin with a Me-110 F4a....but it's a Prestige level 3 plane. Could I take it or should I switch back to the pitiful Me-110F4 with no radar again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ludovic,

Wow. That's about as bad as it gets.

Yes, you can take the F-4a, the prestige requirement is waived if you start there. Notice, however, if you crash it and live (or parachute out after getting it shot down) you won't be able to buy a new one (unless you get up to the required Prestige) - you'll get an F-4 replacement. With the way your dice are, I thought I'd mention this. hehehe.

Bf110F-4 is definitely the "hard mode" start to the game. Both the Ju88 and Do215 have radars. However, so does the F-4a....so try not to lose this one You'll see what a huge difference it makes, hopefully.

Good hunting, and better luck!

Greg

PS in a somewhat related story, I ran a Hunters tournament in Phoenix at the Consimworld Expo one year. Guy took out a Type VII, first patrol, first travel box, met an airplane, sunk, tournament over.

I thought to myself "I think I might have lost a sale there." hehehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludovic,

Please for the love of all that is holy or unholy, your wit and the way you write, you need to share more of your sessions! I was literally laughing out loud reading this. laugh

Get yourself an avatar on me my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
I took the Bf110F-4 for my first career. No more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Tiengou
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the precision.

And definitevely the 110-F4a is a great improvement. The radar is a life saver.
My new pilot got much more luck. Well he got wounded after a month (random event 12....Attack from a Mosquito). But he managed to land and not get a amputee (just the wounded badge) but missed one month of operations.

He's now an Experten with 12 victories, never been shot down (so far) and with 4 Prestige level and has got a Me-110 G4/U5. I'm near the end of november 1943 and I'm aiming at the Me-110 G4/U6.
Well bad luck has come along his path as the only time he got a bomber stream he shot only one of the four bombers he catch. Schrage musik jammed on the first attack (also spoiled as he was detected) and lost sight for a second round. Got lucky on the second as i got a DE result. Lost also my third sight for a second round. And on the fourth got my most powerful gun jammed on the first pass then the last one destroy by the gunner....but he survived with a torn up plane (8 hits on various part...but none fatal....lucky he)

I'm keeping note of his career and a report is to be made. That pilot will get an odd but plausible background as Unteroffizer based on the presence of the only night-pathfinder bomber Gruppe (KGr 100 to be specific) in the Luftwaffe near my birthtown of Vannes in France during the Battle of Britain

For sure a radar on a plane made all the differences in this game.

But what a game. Easy to learn, enjoyable to play. Really nice job done there. It gave me desire to acquire the other games using that set of rules (The Hunter and The Hunted for sure....I'm born not so far from the U-boot base of Lorient in France after all. Also The med and the one about WWI submarine too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Pemberton
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
My first mission in a DO-215....Encountered Lancaster. I got shot down without firing a shot.
My second mission in a DO-215....No contacts. Crash landed for no apparent reason. Still didn't fire a shot.
My third mission in a DO-215....encountered Lancaster. Got shot down because my controls were shot away (two damage rolls, both controls hit).
I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Randy,

LOL. You know, it's interesting that 3 disasters in a row can be fun, but I get it. At least it hasn't been boring!

However, may I recommend perhaps something other than the Dornier line??

hehehe. Ah man. Sorry to have enjoyed this thread, but it is what it is.

Cheers, Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Tiengou
France
flag msg tools
mb
The thread was intended to be enjoyable. So no problem there.

It also show that you could have an historical path to a career. I've read recently an article in a french magazine that only 20% of the pilot in the Luftwaffe ever got a victory. The majority of them never got any and, worse, were killed really fast.
That's what happened to me in fact. So the game is good at giving us the taste of historical flavour even in the worst case scenario. You could be a star, a super star or just the average guy around the corner trying to do his best to survive (and failling that too). And that's an achievement for a game to allowed you to re-enact all the possibilities of the era. And Nigthfighter Ace allowed such thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.