Hide
5 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2» Forums » General

Subject: What if you run out of infection cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noy T. Human
msg tools
I've played a few games of Pandemic Legacy 2 in Tabletop Simulator trying to optimize my gameplay and in one of the runs I've reached an odd state and nearly a much odder state.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Less infection cards means less headaches and more cubes for all. Let's cure as much of the world as possible!" was our strategy. In January we've reconned North and South America as well as the first lost Haven, we've reconned Africa in February, lost and united with the scientist in Johannesburg and from there on out cities were banished left and right to Package 6 and the proverbial garbage can.
By May (or possibly June) there were only 7 infection cards in play 2 of a forsaken city. The rest were undiscovered, irradiated or Packed 6ed leaving just 3 infectable European cities right next to each other and then the game broke. You start the game with 3 high rise towers of supply cubes that dwindle very quickly because the infection deck is constantly shuffled. Suffice to say the game ceased to be fun and we restarted, this time curing but 6ing much much less.
So, what happens in the rare yet plausible case where you exhaust every single infection card? Do you instantly lose the halfmonth or can you go on until you reach a different failstate?
Lets go a bit further, what if you completely ignore the narrative, connect no new cities (apart from those the game forces you to), let Jakarta fall pretty much as soon as it's discovered, cure all 39 infection cards and never connect the world with Utopia? The Hollow Men can't infect cities they can't reach...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Lozano
France
Saint-Etienne
flag msg tools
Trying to find time to paint...
badge
...but translating all day long !
mbmbmbmbmb
noy2222 wrote:
I've played a few games of Pandemic Legacy 2 in Tabletop Simulator trying to optimize my gameplay and in one of the runs I've reached an odd state and nearly a much odder state.

"Less infection cards means less headaches and more cubes for all. Let's cure as much of the world as possible!" was our strategy. In January we've reconned North and South America as well as the first lost Haven, we've reconned Africa in February, lost and united with the scientist in Johannesburg and from there on out cities were banished left and right to Package 6 and the proverbial garbage can.
By May (or possibly June) there were only 7 infection cards in play 2 of a forsaken city. The rest were undiscovered, irradiated or Packed 6ed leaving just 3 infectable European cities right next to each other and then the game broke. You start the game with 3 high rise towers of supply cubes that dwindle very quickly because the infection deck is constantly shuffled. Suffice to say the game ceased to be fun and we restarted, this time curing but 6ing much much less.
So, what happens in the rare yet plausible case where you exhaust every single infection card? Do you instantly lose the halfmonth or can you go on until you reach a different failstate?
Lets go a bit further, what if you completely ignore the narrative, connect no new cities (apart from those the game forces you to), let Jakarta fall pretty much as soon as it's discovered, cure all 39 infection cards and never connect the world with Utopia? The Hollow Men can't infect cities they can't reach...

Wow very interesting thread, but it seems that the game hasn't been created to be played like this.

First, I assume you would have failed the first half or the entire month of January to get all these recon and searches done, as well as very lucky with the card the players get.
Also, with my various plays, I've found that one game has 36 turns in average lenght...even when playing with only two players (which can give difficulties for exchanging cards for the recons), it's an average 18 cards destroyed by game, if ran with optimal movement.

What I want to emphasis is that if you loose for optimisation, this is sub-optimisation, since the real aim of the game is to have the best score, and only winning in the foirst half of the month is the major way to gain points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a limit to the number of cards you can put in Package 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noy T. Human
msg tools
If I'm not mistake, this was the state of my board
https://i.imgur.com/k2eJK7y.jpg
27 infections were sent to package 6, the rest were dealt with by the scientist.
If I remember correctly, both North and South America were rescued on the first go in January with the Western Haven discovered in February.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
mbmb
Lord_Nathaniel wrote:
What I want to emphasis is that if you loose for optimisation, this is sub-optimisation, since the real aim of the game is to have the best score, and only winning in the foirst half of the month is the major way to gain points.

Just to get slightly picky, but that isn't actually the stated objective of the game; checking my rule book, as far as can see it doesn't have one. It merely says (quite neutrally) that, at the end, you'll be given a score indicating "how well" you did.

I'm sure that lots of people will see that as an objective, and play with it in mind; I'm equally sure that many won't. My wife and I most certainly didn't; we were along for the ride, playing to have the most interesting and enjoyable experience. That quite likely included deliberately setting ourselves what others might regard as sub-optimal objectives for individual games (I wouldn't have dreamed of deliberately losing a game - that's gaming the rules, and beneath my dignity - but there were times we tried to do particular things that were interesting, or seemed long-term strategic, rather than pursue the "best" path to a win every time). Our likely, then actual, final score was at all times, frankly, a mere curiosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.