Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Sum
United Kingdom
Sutton coldfield
West midlands
flag msg tools
mb
Chicago express better game than Railways of the world.

All use the same mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has more in common with Paris Connection than it does Railways of the World

I don't know if it's better, it's different though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:

Very different games, other than being based on trains.

CE is really a game about stock and temporary alliances. You buy shares in rail companies, often together with other players, and expand that company in terms of track in order to improve its profits and secure a return on your investment. Often it’s a lot about who to go into partnership with and when, and also when to break from that partnership.

RotW is more of a traditional train game and focuses more on pick-up-and-deliver, cities producing different resources and players competing with building connections to transport these resources from one city to another to make money.

CE is one of my favourite games but I’m not a big train game fan - so others may prefer the more common RotW format. I’d say the game mechanics of RotW are more in-depth and complex yet under the simple mechanics of CE, is a deeper, more thinky, economic strategy game. It’s easy to ‘play’ yet harder to understand which means it’s s very rewarding experience when it clicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World is loosely of the line of games that descended from Age of Steam which in turn descended from the Early Railways Series. The key mechanics of these games are track placement using hexagonal tiles and pick up and deliver. RotW is considered one of the easier, intro style games for the series. These games have players play only for themselves, they build track for their company. Winning and losing is based on building a good network and maintaining access to goods.

Chicago Express / Wabash Cannonball is, as Ryucoo noted above, a stock game with track laying elements. It is part of a long series of Winsome games called the Historic Railroads System, all of which focus on stocks and shared company ownership to different degrees. All of these use cubes for track, which is much more abstract than the hexagonal tiles of the Railways / AoS family. The game does have track laying, but it is really won and lost on money management and stock purchases just as much as it is on on-board play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Algebra compares to Differential Equations.

Pete (notes that both will scare away some players, but the latter will scare away most players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
To elaborate on the earlier points, a game with all newbies of RotW will more or less resemble a game as played by experienced players, though some techniques of routing and knowledge of board positions will be lacking.

But due to CE's victory based on stock purchases, shared (and unshared) incentives, and money management, a group of new players may easily miss the 'off-board' point of the game and treat it as if it were a track-laying race to reach Chicago with 'your' company. The people who experience the game in this way will then complain that it is broken, simple-minded, and/or lacking in replayability.

I love both games, but CE requires more experience and insight than RotW before it really shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ostadan wrote:
To elaborate on the earlier points, a game with all newbies of RotW will more or less resemble a game as played by experienced players, though some techniques of routing and knowledge of board positions will be lacking.

But due to CE's victory based on stock purchases, shared (and unshared) incentives, and money management, a group of new players may easily miss the 'off-board' point of the game and treat it as if it were a track-laying race to reach Chicago with 'your' company. The people who experience the game in this way will then complain that it is broken, simple-minded, and/or lacking in replayability.

I love both games, but CE requires more experience and insight than RotW before it really shines.

This. It’s quite possible to play CE and completely miss the point of it. The first hurdle being getting your head around the fact that another player acquiring stock in your company, which technically reduces your dividend, is actually a good thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:

Comparing apples and oranges. The only thing they have in common is that they are train games. It's like comparing rummy and bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ostadan wrote:

One of the things I always say when I play CE with a table of new players is that if I win it means they played well. Somewhat counterintuitive perhaps, but when the players are doing weird things which imply they don't get the game then it spins out of control and someone chaotically wins. If they're making good decisions which shows a basic understanding of what makes for good play, then I can outmaneuver them pretty easily due to the additional experience/insight I've gained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.