Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Idea for a necromancer house rule. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blaz K.
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
So I was not a KS backer and as such I only own one measly necromancer and while he does spice things up a little bit i feel like he needs more oomph. That is why I am considering adding a new house rule for him.

The house rule would be that every time we get a necromancer activation card with him already on the board he would do his normal move action and on top of that he would spawn/draw X number of zombie cards on himself as the spawn location, where X would be 1 + 1 for every 2 survivors over 6. So at 6 he would make us draw 1 zombie card and at 12 he would make us draw 4.

What do you guys think? I think that would really make him in to the master of the undead that he should be instead of the little whimp just trying to escape. He would of course still try to escape since he himself is still pretty frail, but he would most likely summon a horde of zombies on the way to kill or at least hamper the survivors chasing him. That being on top of his additional spawn point that he comes with from the actual rules which i look at as zombies he had in his evil lair when he was disturbed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your up against it once a necro hits the floor...so,it would really make the game very much tougher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaz K.
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
tootz wrote:
I think your up against it once a necro hits the floor...so,it would really make the game very much tougher

A slightly altered rule would be to just have him spawn that equal number of walkers instead of drawing zombie cards. So 1 walker with a group of 6 and 4 at 12 survivors. That would be slightly easier to deal with but still give him a nice summoner feel on top of what he already does. Or maybe 1 per threat level instead and just leave other mechanics to deal with survivor numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional Necromancers are not the most exciting thing to add to the game. Instead I'd look at getting the "Friends and Foe"s (edit) "No Rest for the Wicked" expansion and Deadeye Walkers. The Abomination Bosses box would be third on my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaz K.
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
I have Friends and Foes and Wulfsburg, but i feel like F&F makes the game easier instead of harder, or at the very least keeps it on the same difficulty. Will probably get Deadeye Walkers eventually but atm i have spent enough money on Zombicide, they are however at the top of the list for when i can bring myself to spend more.

Additionally i have considered putting in several other house rules:
-Torch being a 1 per turn use only for searching, so passing it to others has no effect anymore unless it has not been used this turn
-Vampire crossbow and most likely all magic items being bind on equip so once you put it in your hand slot to use it is bound to that survivor (can still shuffle from hands to backpack at will). Again to prevent passing around the vampire crossbow to heal up the entire party (its a solid and legit tactic but it feels sort of meh). Other magic items aren't that powerful when passing around so i might just make this a rule for the vampire crossbow. Do a little "it feeds on your soul and binds to it." kind of lore tidbit.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DireKushko wrote:
I have Friends and Foes and Wulfsburg, but i feel like F&F makes the game easier instead of harder,

I read this, and thought, "how does Spectral Walkers make it easier?". Then I realized I wrote the wrong expansion. Fixed now.

DireKushko wrote:
Additionally i have considered putting in several other house rules:
-Torch being a 1 per turn use only for searching, so passing it to others has no effect anymore unless it has not been used this turn
-Vampire crossbow and most likely all magic items being bind on equip so once you put it in your hand slot to use it is bound to that survivor (can still shuffle from hands to backpack at will). Again to prevent passing around the vampire crossbow to heal up the entire party (its a solid and legit tactic but it feels sort of meh). Other magic items aren't that powerful when passing around so i might just make this a rule for the vampire crossbow. Do a little "it feeds on your soul and binds to it." kind of lore tidbit.

What do you guys think?

For a co-op game, I don't think you should need these rules. We don't use them. If you are exploiting a rule, then you are cheating yourself-- as a table, you should just decide not to play "cheap". On the other hand, on a rare occasion you are 90% through a scenario and need a certain weapon to damage an enemy and only have one b/c of a bad draw-- do you want to play the scenario over again just b/c you made up a rule where the Heavy Crossbow can't be thrown around for your friends to use? We don't, as the game takes a while and it has plenty of content between Black Plague, Green Horde, and every expansion.

In fact, we just got rid of our "campaign rules", b/c there are over a 100 survivors and with campaign rules there was no reason to ever use someone new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leroy Van Camp III
United States
Meridian
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DireKushko wrote:
I have Friends and Foes and Wulfsburg, but i feel like F&F makes the game easier instead of harder, or at the very least keeps it on the same difficulty. Will probably get Deadeye Walkers eventually but atm i have spent enough money on Zombicide, they are however at the top of the list for when i can bring myself to spend more.

It's unfortunate that Deadeye Walkers are so expensive; they are the single best expansion for spicing up medieval Zombicide. They are the only additional units I add to every game I play, and I own almost everything for medieval Zombicide.

Another way to handle necromancers is to find images of the cards for the various flavors and make a chart you roll on when the necromancer comes out. If you place the rules for each necromancer on the chart, you then have access to the entire range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaz K.
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
Ialdabaoth wrote:
DireKushko wrote:

It's unfortunate that Deadeye Walkers are so expensive; they are the single best expansion for spicing up medieval Zombicide. They are the only additional units I add to every game I play, and I own almost everything for medieval Zombicide.

Another way to handle necromancers is to find images of the cards for the various flavors and make a chart you roll on when the necromancer comes out. If you place the rules for each necromancer on the chart, you then have access to the entire range.

The chart idea is great. Might just do that.

And yeah, i think i'll be getting Deadeye Walkers pretty soon. As for the No Rest for the Wicked expansion, i have to say i'm not a fan of the dragon mechanics nor the ballista, so it is a bit low bang for the buck for me to get it just for the spectral walkers and rat swarms...i'll see how i feel about the game in a year or so after i get Deadeye Walkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
DireKushko wrote:
So I was not a KS backer and as such I only own one measly necromancer and while he does spice things up a little bit i feel like he needs more oomph. That is why I am considering adding a new house rule for him.
Do you know that there is a specific "Variants" folder for suggesting house rules ?
It can help to post your ideas over there, as other players may be looking for something similar to your proposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Restless Entropy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I would just spawn a zombie card based on the current threat level or if you want extreme difficulty, then a number of zombie cards based on the current threat level, 1 - 4 cards, accordingly. And have them spawn at the Necromancer's location. This way the necro generates meat shields while trying to escape.

One thing we did to really ratchet up the difficulty was to rework how hits and damage works. We turned "hits" into "success". Instead of having hits equal the number of zombies struck by the attack, we said that you have to get at least one hit/success for the attack to be successful. So 1 hit = success and 4 hits = success as well, but getting more hits doesn't do anything. Then, the damage value is how much damage is applied to the zone. So 1 damage kills 1 zombie. 3 damage kills three zombies, or 1 fatty and 1 walker, or 1 abomination.

This means that if your survivor is carrying a starting weapon that deals one damage, on a normal roll where you got 4 hits, instead of killing four zombies you'd only kill one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.