Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Tenzer
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I have taken out of the rulebook the only regular time you can tweak your gear set up is during the settlement phase when deploying and equipping your departing survivors [Step 8].

Is it possible to swap gear between the survivors at any other time or phases, especially during showdown - for example to hand over a weapon for a now unarmed survivor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not afaik, but somebody will quote the exact rulebook passage shortly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If you want the page, is exactly page 83 of the rulebook:
During step 8, you remove returning survivors' gear and place the gear you want on departing survivors. That's the only reference to being able to changing gear grids, except for p63, gaining gear during the hunt.

During the entire game, only 4 (or 5/6 in the variants) survivors have full gear grids at one time, with the exception of other survivors with Cursed items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Others are right; you cannot swap gear grids in the midst of battle, but you are allowed to swap resources like fresh acanthus if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
You can equip new gear you find in during a hunt or showdown over an old piece of gear (which you lose) but that's it as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sintec
msg tools
As others have said the rules state you can't do this. I'm not sure it would be massively game breaking to allow characters in a showdown to spend an action to trade some gear. Maybe restrict it to carried items only (so not worn items like armour).

I don't think you can allow if for free though as then you could just pass play "pass the sword". Multiple characters using the same weapon to attack in 1 turn without being forced to at least spend some survival for the privilege feels wrong to me.

Of course then you get to the question - can I grab some gear of my dead team mates corpse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
sintec wrote:
As others have said the rules state you can't do this. I'm not sure it would be massively game breaking to allow characters in a showdown to spend an action to trade some gear. Maybe restrict it to carried items only (so not worn items like armour).

You easily spotted the issue with trading armor (what would it do? would it refresh armor points? in that case, it's broken. would it not? in that case, how does already inflicted damage count?), but there are game breaking aspects related to moving gear all around.

First of all, affinities: some affinity abilities are designed to last. You should not be able to completely change affinity map freely. Second, passing activable gear (not just weapons, there are utility items too, like fecal salve or dried acanthus). Third, gear keywords. Those disadvantages that force you to not depart with some kind of gear, for example, would be completely circumvented by such a model). Fourth, the out of showdown stuff, like passing dried acanthus around in settlement phase before endeavoring at dangerous stuff, or stuffing a mule support to progressively pass stuff to before fully geared survivors, or arranging gear grids to have an optimal hunt phase gear grid which transitions to an optimal showdown phase gear grid. Fifth, it would be trivial to achieve some masteries.

To cut it short, doing so would be mightily game changing, in a way or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.