Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hellingsworth
United Kingdom
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Brilliant game.... but very new to this and trying to get to grips with the historical drivers rules as I will be principally playing solo.
Was hoping to find an idiots guide to HD play, but nothing seems to be availiable.
Apologies if the following questions appear to be silly,but...
1. When establishing a speed for the HD driver via reference to the relevant tactic and track resultdoes he have have to spend wear not only for the established speed, but also for any excess speed in a corner.
2.What does “MPS” mean...
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomcatuk wrote:
.What does “MPS” mean...

This one's easy and I can answer right now. Maintain Present Speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
tomcatuk wrote:

1. When establishing a speed for the HD driver via reference to the relevant tactic and track resultdoes he have have to spend wear not only for the established speed, but also for any excess speed in a corner.

I think the wear mentioned by the side of the track is an indication of how much wear tha HD will spend using the established speed. That means that the established speed should lead to an expense of X wear (usually from speeding in corners)
So, no the cost is not payed twice.

Edit: It's been a while so my memory might be a bit blurry on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General comment: Drive on with the Historical Drivers if playing that way seems fun!

But... I have played quite a lot of Speed Circuit / CFR solo by just running all ten different cars. (You don't use many of the CFR components. You just record the speeds for the various cars on a piece of paper. Ditto the car stats.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:
tomcatuk wrote:

I think the wear mentioned by the side of the track is an indication of how much wear tha HD will spend using the established speed. That means that the established speed should lead to an expense of X wear (usually from speeding in corners)

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hellingsworth
United Kingdom
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lucidphoenix wrote:
Mallgur wrote:
tomcatuk wrote:

Correct.

Thank you Pedro, and Doug for confirming........

Got three more!

1.Am I correct in assuming that wear does not have to be spent by the HD driver if the established speed is in a straight, and it doesn't take the driver into a corner?

2. The three circle emblem (2 plain/1red)on the Strategy Card is an instruction that a corner can be taken at +60 mph for the cost of 2 wear and a -3 skill?

3. Ditto for above except (2 plain/1 die} that the cost is 2 wear and a chance die roll.

Thanks......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. The wear symbols represent the amount of wear that the HD driver aim to spend in the upcoming corner. So, as long as the HD driver isn't in a situation where he needs to spend wear for other reasons, he will never spend wear on a straight.

2 & 3. Both Correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hellingsworth
United Kingdom
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks Martin, appreciate your help... (as you did with D-Day Omaha Beach).

I'm studying Dougs Mexico play through video which has helped me a great deal with HD play. There are a couple of points however, that do confuse me when watching.

1. When the first HD driver has finished the first lap (in a 3 lap race for example) and modifies his strategy to the "If 2/3 of the race" section, do the other drivers modify their strategy straight away at this point, or wait until they actually start their second lap?

2. When HD drivers start their turn in the middle of a corner, and the strategy instructs them to increase their speed.. can they increse it beyond the corner speeds indicated. If so this would appear to conflict with "Changing Speeds In The Middle Of A Corner" rule

Hope he questions make sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. A driver may only change strategy after he has entered or passed the corresponding "steering wheel" marker. In this case, a driver with a "if 2/3 of the race" strategy will switch to it until he enters the row of or moves past the last steering wheel of lap 2 1.

2. No. Just like a human player, they can't spend wear once in the corner. (They may of course increase speed in a corner if they can do so without spending wear.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hellingsworth
United Kingdom
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
[q="Brastias"]
1. A driver may only change strategy after he has entered or passed the corresponding "steering wheel" marker. In this case, a driver with a "if 2/3 of the race" strategy will switch to it until he enters the row of or moves past the last steering wheel of lap 2.

Looking at various posts, they seem to indicate that switching strategy with a “if 2/3 of the race” means moving into or passing the last steering wheel of lap 1.... i.e. the start of lap 2 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah. Should have written lap 1. "if 3/3 of the race" is end of lap 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hellingsworth
United Kingdom
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Last couple of questions... I think!..

1.If an HD driver is instructed to exceed his top speed limit, must he try to do so, or can he just adopt his top speed limit.
For example.. An HD driver has a top speed of 160, but is instructed to achieve 200(T+D+D for example), can he just use 160 top speed, or is he forced to use wear/test to achieve 200 ?

2.Does an HD driver have to spend the wear as instructed or can he spend less than instructed if a route at lower speed is availiable which would cost him less wear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tomcatuk wrote:
1.If an HD driver is instructed to exceed his top speed limit, must he try to do so, or can he just adopt his top speed limit.
For example.. An HD driver has a top speed of 160, but is instructed to achieve 200(T+D+D for example), can he just use 160 top speed, or is he forced to use wear/test to achieve 200 ?

The HD would check his current die roll instructions. This will indicate if he is willing to use skill or roll dice to get as close to his instructed speed as possible. So in your example, 180 since you can never be +40 over your top speed.

tomcatuk wrote:
2.Does an HD driver have to spend the wear as instructed or can he spend less than instructed if a route at lower speed is availiable which would cost him less wear?

The intent is that the HD would have set his speed before seeing what was available as route to take on track... so he should stick with that intended speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hellingsworth
United Kingdom
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lucidphoenix wrote:
tomcatuk wrote:

The HD would check his current die roll instructions. This will indicate if he is willing to use skill or roll dice to get as close to his instructed speed as possible. So in your example, 180 since you can never be +40 over your top speed.

tomcatuk wrote:

The intent is that the HD would have set his speed before seeing what was available as route to take on track... so he should stick with that intended speed.

In relation to the reply to no.1
"This will indicate if he is willing to use skill or roll dice to get as close to his instructed speed as possible."
Does "willing to use" mean that the use of skill or dice is compulsory, or it is left to the discretion of the player to decide in the HD drivers best interest?
Thanks............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
read that as should use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.