Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m interested in opinions on which series is best, and opinions on which games in which series (primarily Exit and Unlock!) are the most interesting.

We have played one in each series (Unlock: Formula and Exit: Pharoah’s Tomb), and generally liked different things about each, but especially like the really creative puzzles that have unexpected (but not impossible without hints) solutions. Specifically, we were really impressed with these three spoiler puzzles in those two games:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The record playing backwards in Formula, the insert of Imhotep’s palace in Pharoah’s Tomb, and the final puzzle with the clues printed in the game box itself

Let us know which games in which series have the most “outside the box” kinds of puzzles, and your order of favorites of escape room games.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also played Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor and Escape Room: The Game which were both well done. I like that Stargazer has instructions online that make it possible to rebox the game and pass it on to someone new. Escape Room: the game has an electronic component into which plastic keys must be inserted for the final solution, thus making it impossible to pass on to a new owner if you still have additional modules to play.
Exit and Unlock both make it difficult to pass the game on, since some components are usually drawn on or destroyed while playing.
As for which ones I like best? All of them, since each one is very original and different, making them hard to compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bockelman
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlock games are replayable; no components are destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
We usually try to finish the evening of gaming w/ an escape room game so we've played through a few of them now.

- We generally like the Unlock series and the variety of puzzles. Some are easy, some are difficult, some are a bit of a stretch even after looking up the solution

- We've only played one of the Exit games so far (the cabin IIRC) and that was enjoyable enough, we just decided to work through the Unlock series first.

- We also played the Stargazers Manor and the other related one (name escapes me) and while we got through Manor within the allotted time, we ended up going over time on the other one (the manual/dexterity puzzles w/ the strings held us up).

- The Escape Room game (w/ the electronic device) was ok. Some of the modules are better than others. In particular we disliked one...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
where you had to call an actual phone # for a code. This was completely out of context of anything else that happened in the game so it took us awhile to figure out that's what we were even supposed to do. Additionally I bought my copy on Amazon through a third party so the phone # on my box was something overseas (NZ or AU or something like that). We eventually just looked it up on line.
We'll finish playing them out but I'm not buying more of them.

- We also disliked the Werewolf one from Hasbro/Amazon. The components are fairly cheap and we ended up accidentally opening some of the lock boxes just by picking them up and looking at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
- We also played the Stargazers Manor and the other related one (name escapes me) and while we got through Manor within the allotted time, we ended up going over time on the other one (the manual/dexterity puzzles w/ the strings held us up).

That other one is The Secret of Dr. Gravely's Retreat and I liked it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.