Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone! Since we haven't been hearing much on the Madeira front lately, I thought I would post my thoughts on the Scout guild favor. Some background. I have played around 90 games of Madeira. I am ranked in the top 15 on BGA but that isn't saying much because its like impossible to find people to play with. However, I have won like 80 of my 90 games and do think I'm pretty good at the game. I find that I do go through many of the same motions though in the game strategy wise but I thought I would start simple with talking about the Scout Guild favor.

Experienced players...do you find that the Scout guild is too powerful? I am not saying game breaking but do you lean that he is overpowered? At the high level playing against good competion, I find online that in my games the ability he gives is far more beneficial than the other guilds. The opportunity to place a worker anywhere is just incredibly powerful and flexible.

When I was first learning the game, I felt like there were many guilds that were very strong, and still do, but for me Scout stands out as the best by far.

Now I know in Madeira there are many things you are juggling that are probably more important than one guild favor. The game has many intricacies to it, but I personally think the Scout needs some type of buff to his ability. Now, we all know an expansion is coming so this is probably going to be different once you throw in other mechanics, guilds, crown requests, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Purple guilds are the strongest so he is powerful. Not overpowered, in my opinion.

As for the kickstarter and expansion, I'll believe it when I see it at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that he's powerful but not overpowered. As Chris says, all the purple Guild tiles are powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
I am ranked in the top 15 on BGA but that isn't saying much because its like impossible to find people to play with.

If you're looking for an opponent (and don't mind a game pace of about a move or two a day) feel free to invite me to a game. I'm Spatho on BGA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyofan87 wrote:
Purple guilds are the strongest so he is powerful. Not overpowered, in my opinion.

As for the kickstarter and expansion, I'll believe it when I see it at this point.

Thanks for the reply dude. Interesting though as personally don't feel like purple is the strongest. The 1/2 pirate dude is useless to me. Newer players tend to think he seems great, but I honestly can't remember the last time I had to take any pirates in a game. Probably over 60 games ago. The -4 Lady is okay situationally. I'd put her above the third tier but below the second tier if that makes any sense.

Scout is just so strong all game but especially early using him to get in the city for the majority crown request. Then using him early/mid game to get a worker in the center wood area, or late game to put a worker in the watch.

What's troubling is I see a pattern against strong ranked players that they also go for him first because his ability is just that good in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatho wrote:
yatescory wrote:
I am ranked in the top 15 on BGA but that isn't saying much because its like impossible to find people to play with.

If you're looking for an opponent (and don't mind a game pace of about a move or two a day) feel free to invite me to a game. I'm Spatho on BGA.

I'd also be up for a game of Madeira played at that pace. I'm mitcharf on BGA. I'm new to the site but I'm not new to Madeira (although nowhere near as experienced as the OP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatho wrote:
I agree that he's powerful but not overpowered. As Chris says, all the purple Guild tiles are powerful.

Very interesting. I appreciate your insight. I definitely think he needs a small buff. He would absolutely always be my first choice guild favor unless he were in the back columns. If all things are equal though I take Scout 10 times out of 10.

I would love to play with you but I only play real time games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitcharf wrote:
Spatho wrote:
yatescory wrote:

I'd also be up for a game of Madeira played at that pace. I'm mitcharf on BGA. I'm new to the site but I'm not new to Madeira (although nowhere near as experienced as the OP).

Awesome! BGA needs more Madeira players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
If all things are equal though I take Scout 10 times out of 10.

This is one of the reasons why I like to play with the mini expansion (which is unfortunately not implemented on BGA, at least not yet) that provides extra Guild tiles so each game has a slightly different mix and the one(s) you want aren’t guaranteed to be available.

Quote:

Fair enough! I can’t manage real time, but if you ever fancy turn-based give me a shout.

@Mitch I’m up for a 2P if you are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Artim
United States
Marshfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I almost never get the scout, and almost always get the constable(but I use a very heavy pirate strategy). I'd be interested in some real time(or turn based) games on bga, my name is also gragatrim there(I'd be rated 9th if I had played a game recently).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
yatescory wrote:
but I only play real time games.

Get any 3 or 4 player games in? Might change your opinion. Especially on the commander. Commander can be a game winner combined with a Region 1 strategy.

The only guild I don't like is the 2 wood one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gragatrim wrote:
I almost never get the scout, and almost always get the constable(but I use a very heavy pirate strategy). I'd be interested in some real time(or turn based) games on bga, my name is also gragatrim there(I'd be rated 9th if I had played a game recently).

I'm loving this discussion! Thanks everyone for giving me your insights!
Where are all you Madeira players when I've been on? That is interesting to know about your approach and cool to see so many people saying they use different strategies. Also, I surely respect your opinion being rated that high. That's what I am looking for because when I had only 15 games or so played I would have said many other guild favors were better than Scout but having played almost 100 games, I definitely favor his ability a lot. What is interesting to me is when I play at the high level on BGA it seems that others go for him too right off but everyone here is saying no and that he is just as good as most of the other guilds. That is interesting to me. I would LOVE to see you play pirate heavy strategy/and to play against you. I have had it played on me before and I have lost to it but the losses are few and far between. But its still cool to see someone ranked so high give their insight on how they play! I really appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyofan87 wrote:
yatescory wrote:
but I only play real time games.

Get any 3 or 4 player games in? Might change your opinion. Especially on the commander. Commander can be a game winner combined with a Region 1 strategy.

The only guild I don't like is the 2 wood one.

I have never lost to a region 1 strategy, but you are absolutely right that I have played almost all games at 2. And I can definitely see how a region 1 strategy would play very well with 3 and especially 4. I can see how Commander would be great then. Thanks for your insights.

I have several guilds I don't think are very good..the one that gives bread, the two wood, and for me Commander because I get to zero easily every game in 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatho wrote:
yatescory wrote:
If all things are equal though I take Scout 10 times out of 10.

This is one of the reasons why I like to play with the mini expansion (which is unfortunately not implemented on BGA, at least not yet) that provides extra Guild tiles so each game has a slightly different mix and the one(s) you want aren’t guaranteed to be available.

Quote:

Fair enough! I can’t manage real time, but if you ever fancy turn-based give me a shout.

Yeah I am with you! I would love a ton more guild favors! I like the variability of different combinations creating a different feel every game. Great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gragatrim is an excellent player. If you get a chance play them.

The top two I've played against aren't active currently that I know of. Armyguy and Giorgos. Against those 3 I always feel like I am losing from the very beginning. Have had a number of beat downs handed to me by them.

Others are great at higher player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
As far as playing, I've been on a 7 Wonders kick when on. Not really wanting to commit to an hour-long game of Madeira. This thread got me to join some turn-based games tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatho wrote:

Certainly! Or perhaps 3-player with gragatrim, since it sounds like he's up for a turn-based game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitcharf wrote:
Spatho wrote:

Certainly! Or perhaps 3-player with gragatrim, since it sounds like he's up for a turn-based game as well.

Excellent. I've already invited both of you to a game, so you should see an invitation on BGA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.