Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This review is part of my attempt to review as many co-op games as I can. All of my reviews are in the geeklist A Crazy Couple's Co-op Guide: 2013 and onward Edition

Our rating:

Modes: Solo, Co-op
* This is essentially a solo game that can be shared by multiple players.

Players: 1-4

With a couple: Plays fine, though essentially working together on a solo game.

Play Time: Quick; 15 minutes or so per session. However, you will need quite a few plays to complete the entire game.

Difficulty: Heavily based on trial-and-error gameplay; play, lose, learn what you need to do differently next time, try again. So hard in the sense that you will lose a lot, but you will be continually learning what to do differently to not lose the same way next time.

Skill Factor: While a lot of is going to be memorizing and trail-and-error, that is still skill. 5

Individual/Group Play: Very much a solo game shared by multiple players. Very group decision oriented.
* Players do not have individual hands or characters; there are characters, but they are shared.
* All information is open.
* Decisions are made by agreement as a group.
* If playing with 2 or 4, each player 'controlling' two or one (respectively) character is a logical way to play the game.

Component Quality:
The entire game is a deck of cards. The card quality is fine. The art is consistent, but very rough and cartoony.

Rules Quality:
The "Fast Forward" games are intended to be learned as you play, so all of the rules are on cards in the game. You start playing and read a card that tells you what to do, then later get another card with more rules.

It makes for a quick entry point and gradual learning to the rules, but it can make it hard to resume a game after not playing for a while; at that point you may need to just restart so you learn all the rules again.

Mini-Review
The Fast Forward series are designed around being able to start playing immediately by just reading a single card or two worth of text and then playing. This is the only one in the series that I have tried.

The entire game consists of a single deck of cards which is NOT shuffled at the start of the game. You start with a rules card, which tells you which cards to put out, and just keep playing.

Flee is all about being chased by a monster. One character (there are four characters, which do NOT correspond to players, though you can easily play that they do) starts with a monster card. If the character with the monster takes a turn, you all lose. So you will need to use the various card effects to pass around the monster or skip player's turns to keep the character who has the monster from ever taking a turn.

The game starts off with simple card effects (such as 'skip a character's turn), but as you progress through the deck more options and effects come out - and more dangerous cards that introduce new ways to lose!

Invariably, you will lose. At this point you follow instructions to leave some cards out and shuffle others onto the top of the deck, effectively resetting the game but with some randomization. This trial and error progression is the core of the puzzle of the game. You fail, then figure out a way to use the cards better to not lose again the same way next time.

It is extremely puzzle oriented, and will require a lot of repeat plays - probably in fairly close succession unless you have a much better memory than I do - to complete the entire game. You'll spend a lot of the game debating how to use the current set of cards and trying to remember what cards are coming next.

We did not get to the end of this, becoming bored of it before then. While it is an interesting puzzle, we didn't really enjoy the constant memory and trial-and-error gameplay. If solving puzzles like this is your thing, this should make a good cheap and small game for you, as I think it does a good job for what it is. There certainly isn't much else like it.

Images courtesy of the BGG gallery with thanks to: Flashshadow69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.