Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Additional damage effects and reroll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damianos Theodoropoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
new user
Hi guys, i recently bought S&S so i am still trying to figure out some of the rules.

From what i understand in the combat phase first you activate the effects and then calculate the damage. But i dont understand what happens when i reroll a die that trigered a damage effect.

I was in a scenario where i used Broadsword(stash) against a (k.o.ed and dominated) red gremlin that had 3 hp left. I roll two red dice and get one damage on the first and double Bolt on the second. So i used one bolt to triger +1 damage effect and the second bolt to make a reroll and rerolled the exact same die.
It resulted to one damage.

So
+1 damage from the first die
+1 damage from the first Bolt effect from the second die
+1 damage from rerolled result of the second die
+1 damage for dominance
-1 damage for resistance against slash

that resulted to the gremlin dying...

Was that correct or the moment i decide to reroll I lose +1 damage effect, as i would lose if i rerolled the first die that had an actual damage as a result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Whitney
msg tools
If you use one of the two bolts on a die face to reroll the die you lose the other one. Additionally, you can only apply any given effect once. So you can only get one +1 dmg from a lightning bolt unless there is another source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damianos Theodoropoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
new user
Frist of all thanks for the reply.

I actually did apply the +1 damage only once.

The order of activation matters , so i could trigger for example a critical effect with one bolt and after that reroll using the other one. I wasn t sure if a damage effect can be kept, or if it counts as the damage result on a die (that you lose when you reroll).

After what you said , i did search for similar threads , rerrol and double bolts. And i found this one https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1819543/double-bolts-and-re... , wich actually also answers my initial question.

I dont know if there was a rule change later, but everyone seems to agree that on the scenario I discribed before is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dimos222 wrote:
Frist of all thanks for the reply.

I actually did apply the +1 damage only once.

The order of activation matters , so i could trigger for example a critical effect with one bolt and after that reroll using the other one. I wasn t sure if a damage effect can be kept, or if it counts as the damage result on a die (that you lose when you reroll).

After what you said , i did search for similar threads , rerrol and double bolts. And i found this one https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1819543/double-bolts-and-re... , wich actually also answers my initial question.

I dont know if there was a rule change later, but everyone seems to agree that on the scenario I discribed before is correct.

As I understand the ruling on using weapon/item/power effects from die results there is a limited one-time use per card for each effect for each combat. In your example, once you use a single lightening bolt to get +1 hit from the Broadsword you have reached the limit for that effect on that card. You would need additional powers or items on that attack to gain further +1 hits when you have more than one bolt to spend from your die rolls or re-rolls.

It wasn't clear from you list of effects in your OP whether you used ONLY the Broadsword weapon to generate all those effects or additional power or item cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damianos Theodoropoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
new user
wtcannonjr wrote:

As I understand the ruling on using weapon/item/power effects from die results there is a limited one-time use per card for each effect for each combat. In your example, once you use a single lightening bolt to get +1 hit from the Broadsword you have reached the limit for that effect on that card. You would need additional powers or items on that attack to gain further +1 hits when you have more than one bolt to spend from your die rolls or re-rolls.

It wasn't clear from you list of effects in your OP whether you used ONLY the Broadsword weapon to generate all those effects or additional power or item cards.

Broadsword stash version has
2 red die rolls and 2 effects
a) Bolt : +1 damage
b) Bolt : reroll 1 hit die

i rolled two red and got 1 damage, and double bolt.
Spend first bolt for +1 damage
Spend the second bolt for reroll and rerolled the same die. The rerolled die result was one more damage

So I only used the Broadsword card, no other card. And on that card i used both effect once(+1 damage, reroll)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
dimos222 wrote:
wtcannonjr wrote:

Broadsword stash version has
2 red die rolls and 2 effects
a) Bolt : +1 damage
b) Bolt : reroll 1 hit die

i rolled two red and got 1 damage, and double bolt.
Spend first bolt for +1 damage
Spend the second bolt for reroll and rerolled the same die. The rerolled die result was one more damage

So I only used the Broadsword card, no other card. And on that card i used both effect once(+1 damage, reroll)
you're right on that, but the reroll effect cancels the bolt you spent. This is only relevant when you reroll the double bolt.

Many of us played this wrong for a while, but the designer clarified elsewhere in the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damianos Theodoropoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
new user
RezardVareth wrote:

Many of us played this wrong for a while, but the designer clarified elsewhere in the forums.

So that means i cheated cry

Reroll cancels any kind of effect or only in case of +1 damage?

I guess in my case, the only chance to kill the gremlin was to reroll the die that had one damage on it, and hope to get the double damage result

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben van Asten
Netherlands
Culemborg
flag msg tools
dimos222 wrote:
RezardVareth wrote:

I guess in my case, the only chance to kill the gremlin was to reroll the die that had one damage on it, and hope to get the double damage result

Only the end result of a die counts, so when rerolled all other effects are canceled.

About killing the red gremlin with your roll, do not forget to roll the two blue defense dice for the red gremlin. Even when KO'd you roll his blue dice and count the Shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damianos Theodoropoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
new user
spycom82 wrote:
dimos222 wrote:
RezardVareth wrote:

Only the end result of a die counts, so when rerolled all other effects are canceled.

About killing the red gremlin with your roll, do not forget to roll the two blue defense dice for the red gremlin. Even when KO'd you roll his blue dice and count the Shields.

You are absolutely right.

Honestly I got so confussed about the reroll , that i dont even remember if i did roll the blue defence dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damianos Theodoropoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
new user
So to anyone that is having the same question, it was already answered by the FAQ section of sword and sorcery website.

http://www.sword-and-sorcery.com/faq/

Rerolled Dice
It is not possible to store and/or use the previous result or a rerolled Die. For example, with a Red die showing a double Bolt, it is not possible to use the first Bolt to activate an effect and then the second bolt to reroll this die, if done, the effect activated with the first bolt must be ignored. The results obtained after the reroll can be spent as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.