Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy New Year BGG!
Being an indecisive person myself when it comes to selecting a game to play at a game nights, I have decided to attempt to remedy the situation with a handy reference chart with my entire collection listed! This comes in especially useful when you have friends at your board game night that might not know your games very well, how long they take, and what player count they work at...

Example Conversation of a typical game night (slightly exaggerated for comedic effect):

You: "What game do you guys wanna play?"

Joe: "Ooo... this one looks awesome. Let's play Memoir '44, I games based on WWII battles. Did you know... (blah blah blah)"

You: "Joe, We have 5 players. This is a two player game. What other games would you guys like to play?"

Sally: "I watched some people play Two Rooms and a Boom on a YouTube video once, I think, and it looked super fun!"

You: "It is! But, that game needs at least 6 players and even then it doesn't work that well unless you have 10+..."

Carl: "MONOPOLY!!!"

You: "Umm... No."

Sam: "I think Twilight Imperium 4 would be great. It has politics, negotiation, area control, battles..."

You: "Sam... (sigh)... it is 8PM and Sally has to leave at 10PM..."

Sam: "Well, we can play a quick game of it... or... maybe start it?"

Sally: "I've never heard of it. How long is the game?"

You: [looks at Sam w/ a smirk] "Not too long... just 6 HOURS!"

Joe: "Gees! No way... That's longer than my work shift!"

Carl: "MONOPOLY!"

You: "Shut up Carl! No one here wants to play monopoly! We need to find a game that plays 5 players well and lasts 1-2 hours"

Carl: "Monopoly...?"

You: [Pushing Carl out the door and slamming it behind you] "Make that a game for 4 players... How about Pandemic!?"

This continues until 1 hour later you end up playing Love Letter for half an hour because you've ran out of time...cry So, what's the solution?... Check out this super useful document made with a super useful program called Excel (background audience: "Ooo. Excel... sophisticated"). Make your own chart, frame it, and tack that baby to the wall. That way, next game night you can actually play games rather than talk about them! cool

You're Welcome.

P.S.
If you would like me to send you the Excel file I used, blank and ready for you to enter your games into, then just shoot me a message and I'll happily share the organizational love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group would just play Monopoly.

Pete (adds that it would probably be over in 45 minutes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats.a.pretty nice idea. I'd need a. Bigger spreadsheet though. 😁

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. everyone gets 5 votes must vote for at least 2 games. (one time only)
2. Play the game with the most votes* (roll a die to decide ties).
3. Played game has all votes eliminated, all unplayed games with at least 1 vote get +1.
4. If Played game has a single winner, everyone else gets another vote. Team games, the losing team gets 1 vote. Co-ops, no additional votes.
5. Repeat 2-4 through game night.
6. At end of game night, every player gets 1 vote. Keep tallies between game sessions.
7. If a new player comes to the group, gets their starting 5 votes.

*if the attendant players do not fit the player count, see following algorithim:

If Num_Players < Min_Players_Req
Play game with next most votes

If Num_Players > Max_Players_Sup
Play the game anyway, and left out players can play the next game, wait, or go get pizza.

(bonus points if you get a player to write up a java widget or some such thing to track and tally for you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What's this Monopoly game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum Jack...
I like the idea of making the game selection process an actual game itself!
Good Idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffery,
This is true... if your collection is larger than mine (50-100 games) the spreadsheet might get a little unwieldy. Perhaps you can try another method of listing your games that I think is pretty neat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something similar awhile back when hosting boardgame day. I bolded Recommended games, and showed the weight in stars. I used polls that showed game length per play when available.

I think if I did this again, I'd replace the weight with how many minutes it takes to teach the game.

Also I should make an app that'll do this automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a handy table! I love tables and charts!

Here's my system:

6 players in weekly group. We rotate* who picks the game. People RSVP to me. I text Jack it's his turn to pick and we expect 4 players.

Jack shows up and says: We're playing Brass! We play Brass.

I like it because no negotiation required. We take turns as sort of an executive officer of the week.

*We used to do a straight rotation, but because attendance was unequal now we rotate based on attendance. Now you choose about every 4th time you attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for all that. These conversations are an indication of something being forced, that is deciding a type of activity must be undertaken (for whatever reason), despite the fact that no one has a specific plan.

Like talking about what's for dinner ... because you think you must eat ... not because anyone wants to eat something in particular.

Or making a movie, not because a great script came along, but because The Money decided the market really wants a [fillintheblank] movie.

Yeah, 'open' game nights are like that.

Post a game, date, time, and capacity. Take RSVPs. If no one shows, play solo.

Never have That Conversation again

Bliss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Sandy
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group picks 3 games that match the interest/player count and then rolls a die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I love random number generators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.