Subject: Seizure - When to bother? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvey Dearden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I understood correctly?

It seems there is no point trying to seize activation unless your leader’s activation rating is greater than the active player’s selected command minus his prevailing continuation roll +DRM?

Otherwise, if the active player loses the continuation roll you would have a free activation anyway and the probability of his losing the roll would be at least as good as yours of winning the seizure.

A modified difference of +1 only gives a marginally better chance of winning seizure but at the risk of a free activation for your opponent with resetting of his continuation DRM.

Sorry if the argument seems convoluted - but that is why I feel the need to perform a sanity check with this post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Northern VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably get a more eloquent, official response from Ralph Shelton shortly, but indeed you are correct. In games in the series beginning with Blood and Roses seizure is handled using seizure cards instead of rolling against a seizing leader's activation rating. The seizure cards, in general, have a wider success range than leader activation ratings do. Each player is also limited to a modest number of seizure cards.

It looks like the soon to be issued MoI Tri-Pack will retrofit the seizure card mechanism to Men of Iron and Infidel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Harvey, you are not wrong about the original Seizure game mechanic. That is why we changed it in Blood & Roses to Seizure counters that do not depend upon your leaders Activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Dearden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the very fast confirmation.

I think for my solo play I can reasonably disregard the seizure aspects; the continuation roll introduces 'chaos' enough without the complication of deciding whether or not to attempt seizure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.