Subject: John Bohrer credited as the designer of the 2019 edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I find it really sad that Martin Wallace's name has been literally erased from this version of the game and replaced with some other designer. I don't know the details about the dispute between Mr. Wallace and EGG, but this move from the publisher has totally discouraged me from buying this edition. I just can't do it, out of respect for Mr. Wallace. And I've been waiting for the reprint of Age of Steam for years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not the current cover image but an earlier mockup. In the current working version there is no designer on the box cover:

And someone pointed out that none of the EGG AoS editions have M. Wallace on the box as designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thank you for this clarification! Still, I find it really weird that this cover and this idea was even considered in the first place...

Case closed then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Seda
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://twitter.com/ianotooletweets/status/10811707186314608...

Ian O’Toole did release that that was not the correct image.

As can be seen in the Image neither Wallace nor Bohrer has their name on the box, like in the previous Eagle Games edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering if that's legal to sell in Germany - I believe board game designers have more rights in that country and one of them is that their name is required to be on the box cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that EGG still don't want to pay för graphical design. It baffles me really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
I see that EGG still don't want to pay för graphical design. It baffles me really.
I’m not an industry expert, but I would assume that Ian O’Toole did receive payment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craigcoffin wrote:
guzerat wrote:
I’m not an industry expert, but I would assume that Ian O’Toole did receive payment.
Ian's a pretty big name these days and has done work with EGG several times now (all those Lacerda games). I suspect they have a good working relationship. Maybe OP was being a bit tongue-in-cheek and saying he doesn't like the graphic design of the box.

...though that's crazy talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
nakedmeeple wrote:
craigcoffin wrote:
guzerat wrote:
Ian's a pretty big name these days and has done work with EGG several times now (all those Lacerda games). I suspect they have a good working relationship. Maybe OP was being a bit tongue-in-cheek and saying he doesn't like the graphic design of the box.

...though that's crazy talk.
I’m sure that was what was meant, but my inner pedant couldn’t resist the retort. :-)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. Personally, I love the new graphic design, but understand that some may not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't complaining about the artwork, which is great as usual with EGG. I meant the actual design. I.e. the way a somewhat nice font was just slapped onto said great artwork with no apparent thought and how the artwork was cut off on the left side, totally unbalancing the cover/image.

Just look at some previous EGG games such as Defenders of the Realm, Railways of the World or Fantastiqa. Great artwork. Everything else a mismatched, misaligned mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
I wasn't complaining about the artwork, which is great as usual with EGG. I meant the actual design. I.e. the way a somewhat nice font was just slapped onto said great artwork with no apparent thought and how the artwork was cut off on the left side, totally unbalancing the cover/image.
I honestly don't see a problem with Ian's typography and layout of the cover. The text looks good to me, and fitting of the subject matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
nakedmeeple wrote:
guzerat wrote:
I honestly don't see a problem with Ian's typography and layout of the cover. The text looks good to me, and fitting of the subject matter.

It's not as horrendous as my other examples, only because it is so "tame", but being a good artist does not in itself qualify you for doing graphical design work. I'd also question if the artist actually did anything more than paint the picture. Would an artist intentionally crop their artwork like that? To me it seems like it was intended for a square box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
nakedmeeple wrote:
guzerat wrote:

It's not as horrendous as my other examples, only because it is so "tame", but being a good artist does not in itself qualify you for doing graphical design work. I'd also question if the artist actually did anything more than paint the picture. Would an artist intentionally crop their artwork like that? To me it seems like it was intended for a square box.

Did you not click on the tweet? The art isn't cropped any more than it is supposed to be, I'm positive the artist designed it to be cropped exactly where it is in the full tweet image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:

Did you not click on the tweet? The art isn't cropped any more than it is supposed to be, I'm positive the artist designed it to be cropped exactly where it is in the full tweet image.

I think what they're referring to is the first image in this thread, which shows how the art "wraps" around the side of the box, instead of being cropped to the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nakedmeeple wrote:
bubblepipemedia wrote:

I think what they're referring to is the first image in this thread, which shows how the art "wraps" around the side of the box, instead of being cropped to the edge.

In that case, it's just preference. Pretty sure the art was designed with that in mind given the way it fades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
In that case, it's just preference. Pretty sure the art was designed with that in mind given the way it fades.
Knowing Ian, and his very deliberate approach to everything he does, I'm sure the wrap is intentional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
nakedmeeple wrote:
guzerat wrote:

Ian O’Toole is on of the most in-demand game artists out there today, and is often praise specifically for his excellent graphic design.

This game looks excellent to me. If you don’t like it, that’s just a matter of personal opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
badge
ACT AS IF THE TRUTH IS REAL
mb
guzerat wrote:
...with no apparent thought and how the artwork was cut off on the left side, totally unbalancing the cover/image.
What are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's on the drugs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bikeshedding.txt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer is credited as the designer of Age of Steam in the draft rulebook. So it isn't just a box cover thing

The Rule Book: Version 10 wrote:

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS (PG 10)
Age of Steam was created by John Bohrer.
Age of Steam is Registered U.S. Copyright
(Reg. No. TX 7-243-752) of John Bohrer, 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Age of Steam is a Registered U.S.Trademark (Reg. No. 3,622,075), used with the permission of John Bohrer.
Artwork and Graphic Design by Ian O’Toole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I suspect that's a result of the mediation findings that Martin refuses to abide by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't trying to make a case for anything. I was just updating the thread with details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Martin Wallace's name isn't associated with this or the previous edition according to EGG:

Gryphon Eagle wrote:
At Essen, Martin Wallace came to the FRED booth to discuss Age of Steam. He let us know he was unhappy that we were reprinting the game. He acknowledged that his legal situation with John Bohrer had been resolved, not in his favor, by the US Patent and Trademark Office. On the spot, we offered to give Martin both a design credit and pay him a royalty. Martin clearly and unequivocally refused both -- saying he did not wish to have his name associated with this edition of the game. While at Essen, FRED also met and spoke with our friends at Mayfair. We mutually agreed that the spat between Martin and John had been resolved as best it ever would be, and we mutually concluded, quite amicably, that the "right way" to proceed, given our mutual investments in the two productions, was to go forward with our respective releases and wish each other the best of luck. Which we did. This will be our only public statement as to Martin's comments, and the Bohrer/Wallace situation.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Considerable discussion ongoing at A word from the designer of Age of Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls