United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the base game last year and I am looking to add an expansion or two but I don’t understand how Fantasy Flights system works and what I am even getting or if it is the middle of the story etc. what’s a good first expansion to get in 2019 (aka not oop or super expensive) and why? What’s a second and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, a general explanation of expansions...

Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is a living card game. That means that every pack of a certain name has the same cards. So, if I buy 'The Conflict at the Carrock', it has the exact same cards as every other copy of that pack. There is NO random element. Every expansion has both the quest cards you'll face in that adventure, and player cards to expand your deckbuilding options.

The expansions are divided into cycles, which compose a full storyline in the game. For example, the Dwarrowdelf cycle is all about the heroes exploring Moria.

Each cycle starts with a big box, which contains the core cards for that cycle. The cards in the core box are used in all the other, later 'packs', and you MUST have the box to play the later packs in the same cycle. So I MUST own the box for Dwarrowdelf in order to play any of the later packs in that cycle. The box has 3 adventures in it, to sort of 'kick start' the cycle, as the later packs only have one adventure each.

Beyond that, each pack stands alone in that cycle (you don't need to own pack 3 to play pack 4 or 5) but they all form one story, so owning them all is a plus.

The Saga expansions are different, as they tell the full story of the books, but I won't get into that here, suffice to say they are different.

As to what to start to buy? Right now a lot of stuff is out of print, sadly, so I've had to buy in fits and starts (I own a cycle or two that I'm lacking one or two packs from, even though I own the core box for that cycle. So, I can play everything I own, but I'm missing one or two 'scenes' from that particular cycle). Look at what your local store has, and if you can, get a box and the packs from that cycle.

Alternately, the first cycle is based off the core box itself, and has you tracking down Gollum; there are some very universally useful cards in those packs, and the adventures are straightforward. The later quests get into crazy things with very exotic, but fun quests that turn the core gameplay on its ear. The first cycle is really them doubling down on the core mechanics.

Example: Later cycles add in quests where you quest using attack power or defense, or are sailing a fleet of ships. The first cycle instead has 'the fighting quest', 'the lots of locations quest' and the like. Good for getting your feet wet and seeing the strengths and weaknesses of certain deck types, and seeing how you might have to adjust here and there depending on what you're taking on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the community wiki, you can visually see things divided by cycles.

All adventure packs (small clamshell/tuckbox) will require its associated deluxe expansion from the same cycle.

As for what to buy in 2019- buy what's available. All expansions (other than standalones) will have player cards that can be used in any scenario. Many say the current cycle (Wilds of Rhovanion & Ered Mithrin) is a decent launching point, especially since it's widely available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of a card cycle as a TV season. If you miss one episode in the middle, it doesn't ruin the rest of the season for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Think of a card cycle as a TV season. If you miss one episode in the middle, it doesn't ruin the rest of the season for you.

And there will be reruns (FFG reprints) so you can pick up that episode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
If you look at the community wiki, you can visually see things divided by cycles.

All adventure packs (small clamshell/tuckbox) will require its associated deluxe expansion from the same cycle.

As for what to buy in 2019- buy what's available. All expansions (other than standalones) will have player cards that can be used in any scenario. Many say the current cycle (Wilds of Rhovanion & Ered Mithrin) is a decent launching point, especially since it's widely available.

Thank you this was all very helpful, I did not realize that there was a large box as the start of each cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:

Each cycle starts with a big box, which contains the core cards for that cycle. The cards in the core box are used in all the other, later 'packs', and you MUST have the box to play the later packs in the same cycle.

Note that this is only with regards to the quests and encounter deck. Player cards can be used in any deck playing any quest.

So if you see a pack of Foundations of Stone and you do not yet have the Khazad-Dum expansion, you can still pick it up for the Glorfindel hero.

You'll just have a quest you can't play yet because you don't have the requisite encounter cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Swiejkowski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well,

I am also new to the game and cant really get my head around expansions etc.

However, above replies help a lot.

So, having just a core box at the moment, the best 'option' would be to get Adventure Packs like:

- Hunt for the Gollum;
- Conflict at the Carrock etc

...from (should I say) 'Core Box cycle'

To get new heroes, new deck cards, and one new scenario per AP ???

???

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would generally advise to get the expansions in order.

Core box, then Mirkwood cycle, then Khazad-dûm box, then Dwarrowdelf cycle, and so on. You will need the "deluxe box" that starts each cycle, in order to play the scenarios in the cycle, as they often use cards from the deluxe box. So, there's that. Also, each cycle does have a continuing story, so it is nicer to play them in order, especially if you like to read all the flavor text and enjoy the story telling aspect included in the scenarios.

Availability might not always work in that approach's favor, though, I'm afraid.

Also, the SAGA boxes (The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings SAGAs) are a special case, as they are a bit seperate from the remaining expansions.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this here might be helpful:

https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
This page lists everything by cycle:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/the-lord-of-t...

The one associated with the core is the Mirkwood cycle. It’s the most logical option, but since most of the game is out of print the best option is to buy what’s available, deluxe sets being most useful if you can’t get th first six adventure packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the best online deckbuilder (you can select, which adventure packs you own, under My Collection / Adventure Packs, so you can only see those cards in the deckbuilder then).

https://ringsdb.com/

Plus a very nice card search to get an overview or just browse what is there.

https://ringsdb.com/search

Another good one for that (that also has the scenarios, not just the player cards). The site linked here also shows all the expansions sorted by cycle.

http://hallofbeorn.com/LotR/Browse

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinioo wrote:
Well,

I am also new to the game and cant really get my head around expansions etc.

However, above replies help a lot.

So, having just a core box at the moment, the best 'option' would be to get Adventure Packs like:

- Hunt for the Gollum;
- Conflict at the Carrock etc

...from (should I say) 'Core Box cycle'

To get new heroes, new deck cards, and one new scenario per AP ???

If you get APs from the "core box cycle", you will be able to play the scenarios right away. If all expansions are available for purchase, starting by buying the first cycle expansions is a great place to start, not least because you can follow Beorn's Path through the entire cycle -- I recommend it highly for all new players, even if you only have the core set.

The issue is that APs from the Mirkwood cycle aren't always readily available; at FFG's site they are all out of stock. If you can find them, buy them -- but if you can't find them, don't wait for them to come into stock. See what's available to you, and choose from that list. Or if you're all in, buy everything that's available, because reprints trickle out slowly and are snapped up quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

This!!! I haven't read anything more helpful than that so far!

And skip the first cycle.
Jump straight to Dwarrowdelf!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i.a.m wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

This!!! I haven't read anything more helpful than that so far!

And skip the first cycle.
Jump straight to Dwarrowdelf!

However, Dwarrowdelf is harder to get than the first cycle -- though I'm still expecting that to be the next set of APs to be reprinted. Don't set your heart on playing any particular expansion before finding out whether it's available where you're at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes at this point in the US, the first cycle is probably not possible to find anywhere near completion and at reasonable cost. A few months back I managed to get the first (Mirkwood) cycle (but not Dead Marshes AP), the "Numenor/Against the Shadow" cycle and the "Isengard/Ring Maker" cycle, but Dwarrowdelf APs (my first choice) was not available even then. AFAIK, the sagas are not available either. The best choice seems to be the current cycle Rhovanion unless you can score an Ebay auction at a reasonable price (but I wouldn't count on that as its not reasonable IMO to pay more than $30/$15 for used big box/adventure packs and some of the prices I have seen are absurd for something merely awaiting reprint).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.