4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: the black edge for line of sight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mr mr
msg tools
mb
Sorry, I should have posted this with my last question, but it just came up after I (overlord) got completely annihilated on the starter level with my 4 dogs killed in a matter of 3 turns

Question: I presume the black edge on a corner doesn't block line of sight diagonally through it(?), it's there to say it's the edge of the map, because the book says any adjacent square passes line of sight. But some of the tiles have the black line slightly creep into adjacent inner tiles by about 5mm. Is this an aesthetic or meant to block LOS or movement? As I wonder why have them if they're not meant to do anything?

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The black lines are mostly aesthetic. Sometimes when 2 room tiles are connected directly, they can help you see which squares are separated by a wall, and which are connect through a doorway.

But the black lines themselves don't have any effect on line of sight. Only the edges of the actual squares matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
mb
Ok, thanks. If you are on one square and the black line is below you (rather than an outside edge, in my great ascii image below) and below that another character or token, does that mean they fail LOS and searching and moving requires (in this case) 2 not 1?

figure

------------

Token/figure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
If the figures or tokens (whatever) are on the opposite sides of the black line you wouldn't have line of sight. There are some special cases though where you might have. In the files section there are several examples on how the line of sight rules work in those special cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.