tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played all the series, Race/Roll and now New Frontiers. I will only be keeping New Frontiers moving forward, BUT the differences between all of them aren't apparent at a glace, but rather once you play through the "feel" of the game. I think New Frontiers is a great board game translation of the Race formula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious too. I just got Race, and from what I've seen it seems like both Race and this are worth having. Race seems by far more tactical, where New Frontiers seems more strategic. But that's just my guess and looking forward to thoughts from people who actually know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious about this thread. From what I read and see, I think I would still keep my copy of Race. But until I actually play NF is just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to keep this, Race, Roll and Jump Drive. The nice thing for me is while they differ in many areas of gameplay the iconography (often touted as the most difficult part of Race) has a lot of crossover and thus makes each one easier to grasp after learning the first. The many shared concepts also make introducing the next much easier.

Besides they are all fun and I love space themes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really didn't care for Jump Drive. Meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFace wrote:
I plan to keep this, Race, Roll and Jump Drive. The nice thing for me is while they differ in many areas of gameplay the iconography (often touted as the most difficult part of Race) has a lot of crossover and thus makes each one easier to grasp after learning the first. The many shared concepts also make introducing the next much easier.

Besides they are all fun and I love space themes!

The shared iconography is something I thought sounded neat too. I like that concept with the Valeria games too. Great point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping so...

I didn't find Roll worth keeping, personally, and I've never been tempted enough to grab Jump Drive.

But Race is my single favorite game, and a blebd of Race and PR base this all started from sounds pretty sublime to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Begrudgingly sold off Race... Kept Roll... looking to purchase New Frontiers

If someone asked, I'd play either game in the series at the drop of a hat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded away Race and it's expansions a while back but kept Roll. My brothers are getting me New Frontiers which after watching Rahdo"s run through I am very interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Race, it's one of my favourite games ever - there's no way a non-card game could replace it.

What I'm more interested in is comparisons to Puerto Rico. Is it worth owning both when, given its ancestry, NF seems to be "PR the card game, the board game"? (Very different theme obviously, but other than this, are there substantial gameplay differences.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sexist Troll
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
The blade will not exist if it is taken from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll killed/replaced Race for me, so I own only Roll now. But this seems quite different from both. There is almost no long-term planning in Roll and only a little bit more in Race. My understanding is that New Frontiers has it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it funny how people say that Roll killed Race for them (or at least replaced Race in their collections). I liked Roll a lot (not at first, but it got me later), but, between the two, I will certainly go for Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sexist Troll
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
The blade will not exist if it is taken from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
mspider_89 wrote:
I find it funny how people say that Roll killed Race for them (or at least replaced Race in their collections). I liked Roll a lot (not at first, but it got me later), but, between the two, I will certainly go for Race.

What I find funny instead is that some people don't want to understand/accept the existence of significantly different gaming preferences even within the "eurogamer" community. Tom Lehmann wrote in one of the threads that Race and Roll have been designed with somewhat different target audiences in mind. Roll totally replaced Race for me, I went this way (so did, for example, Radho and Tom Vasel), but my best friend went the exact opposite way and sold away Roll after a few plays, keeping only Race. I can go into endless debate with him about which game is better, but we both know it is just a prank and we are just trolling each other whenever we do so. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kissgg wrote:
mspider_89 wrote:

What I find funny instead is that some people don't want to understand/accept the existence of significantly different gaming preferences even within the "eurogamer" community. Tom Lehmann wrote in one of the threads that Race and Roll have been designed with somewhat different target audiences in mind. Roll totally replaced Race for me, I went this way (so did, for example, Radho and Tom Vasel), but my best friend went the exact opposite way and sold away Roll after a few plays, keeping only Race. I can go into endless debate with him about which game is better, but we both know it is just a prank and we are just trolling each other whenever we do so. arrrh

I didn't want to offend anyone and I think you got my answer a little too personal. I totally accept and understand different preferences in games of the same genre. In my gaming group, we go along in a lot of things, but are opposites on some others. And I (we) have no problem with that.
What I find funny is how people who replaced Race with Roll express this idea much more than the opposite. Maybe it is only the forums I read, but I have this feeling.

Like you mentioned, "Race and Roll have been designed with somewhat different target audiences in mind".
So, if you found Race to be a bit meh, or was losing something, but enjoyed a lot Roll, nice. Thumbs up
If you already enjoyed a lot Race and enjoyed also a lot, or even a bit more, Roll, why not keep both? Just a question. For me, they worked differently enough for that to happen.

PS: by the way, you are right about Rahdo, but Tom Vassel didn't make up his mind about this either. He constantly says that he switches his preference between one and the other with time. But, at the end, all this are personal preferences. So let's keep that in mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have preferred Roll if it had some sort of "market" system, in which tiles were laid out and you could choose/pay for the ones you want/need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary David
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depends on what you like about Race, I've played them all and, while I don't have race anymore, I wouldn't feel the need to own both. Race for me was way too tactical; in new frontiers, I get a nice blend of tactical and strategic while still have the same feel as race.

New frontiers also has less of a barrier to entry than race because all the techs and planets explain what they do on them. Also there are 8 of the same techs each game and the other techs are variable.

Size is a consideration though; the new frontiers box is BIG and there's a decent amount of components. This is a given but setup is definitely more involved that race too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Race is tactical and (for me) only good as a 2-player game.
New Frontiers is more strategic and will easily accomodate 3-5 players.

So yeah, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zachpas wrote:
Depends on what you like about Race, I've played them all and, while I don't have race anymore, I wouldn't feel the need to own both. Race for me was way too tactical; in new frontiers, I get a nice blend of tactical and strategic while still have the same feel as race.

New frontiers also has less of a barrier to entry than race because all the techs and planets explain what they do on them. Also there are 8 of the same techs each game and the other techs are variable.

Size is a consideration though; the new frontiers box is BIG and there's a decent amount of components. This is a given but setup is definitely more involved that race too.

If someone did own both this and Race, and was going to be teaching them a first time, would this make more sense to be first, given that it explains the icons on the tiles themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjortman wrote:
If someone did own both this and Race, and was going to be teaching them a first time, would this make more sense to be first, given that it explains the icons on the tiles themselves?

Even though I am a hard core Race fan, and I think the iconography is not that hard if you put your mind into it, I would say it makes sense. At least on that context - powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary David
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mjortman wrote:
zachpas wrote:

If you're talking about with in this series of games, I would absolutely teach jump drive first. That is a great way to get used to the iconography as well as the look and feel of the game.

However, if you are between race and New Frontiers, New Frontiers might be slightly easier, but they are both going to have a fairly steep learning curve for those that are not experienced in this series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't think so.

I have played all three and plan on keeping only RollFTG and New Frontiers and here's why:

1. Race was nearly unplayable for me (1st edition) due to my colorblindness. Unless someone has second edition its really frustrating for me to play.

2. Roll is a lot of fun and provides a bit of a different feel since both the Developments and Worlds are drawn randomly. The action selection phase also feels different compared to the other two since its done simultaneously and in secret. Plus I just love rolling dice.

3. New Frontiers is going to be held onto since it feels like a more strategic version of the other two games. Since the developments are publicly known after game setup, its much easier to build a more long term strategy around the available tiles.

That being said, the overall gameplay loop feels somewhat similar between all three games. Ultimately you still are doing a lot of the same things: Buy/Develop Developments, Settle/Colonize New Planets, Generate goods on said planets, Sell/Consume these goods for money/points.

I think this depends on how much you really enjoy the core gameplay loop offered by the race series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Chambers

Toledo
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ag0n1st wrote:
... 1. Race was nearly unplayable for me (1st edition) due to my colorblindness. Unless someone has second edition its really frustrating for me to play.

2. Roll is a lot of fun...

I think this depends on how much you really enjoy the core gameplay loop offered by the race series.

Interestingly enough, I'm also color blind, and I have more trouble with Roll than with Race. The blue/purple problem in Roll bothered me more than the color issues in Race.

I totally agree with your final point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spambait42c wrote:
Ag0n1st wrote:
... 1. Race was nearly unplayable for me (1st edition) due to my colorblindness. Unless someone has second edition its really frustrating for me to play.

2. Roll is a lot of fun...

Interestingly enough, I'm also color blind, and I have more trouble with Roll than with Race. The blue/purple problem in Roll bothered me more than the color issues in Race.

I totally agree with your final point.

I guess it goes to show you how different types of colorblindness affect people differently. I do have some difficulty with the dice in Roll, but not enough to make it unplayable. It might just take me an extra couple seconds to tell the green from the brown die.

New Frontiers does a much better job of dealing with colorblindness IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.