Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
At long last I'm going to start diving into WW2 East Front as a topic to explore. There are, of course, many games on this topic. Most tend to be pretty large, though. Even more than other wargames, the topic here is so vast & epic in scope that the games tend to be larger. My own preference is for small wargames (e.g. fewer than 100 counters, not much stacking). That format sometimes is found in magazine games, but there are standalone games, too. (And some magazine wargames can be quite large.)

Surprisingly, I haven't been successful with my normal approach of researching geeklists to build my own list of interesting titles. I have a few in mind already, though, and would appreciate more suggestions.

Leningrad
No Retreat
Der Kessel
Pavlov's House
Battle for Moscow
The Barbarossa Campaign

You can tell from that list that I'm primarily interested in operational or grand tactical scales, nothing like an ASL scenario.

I suppose Turning Point:Stalingrad and Storm over Stalingrad could be on this list. They seem larger (longer to play), but perhaps not? I played Storm over Normandy last summer and enjoyed that well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to like Vae Victis games, and now see that they've got one if I don't mind a tactical treatment, Stalingrad Hall No. 4. They probably have earlier games, too, though these days I'm not really going for the issues before 100 before they had diecut counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These area impulse are very good.

Circle of Fire: The Siege of Cholm, 1942
Stalingrad: Verdun on the Volga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holdfast: EastFront 1941-45 is worth looking at. Max units per hex is 1. Turns go pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Roads to Leningrad
Roads to Moscow

Those are a bit on the complex end of the spectrum but relatively low unit count, normal size maps, though not miniature.

No Retreat - Russian Front (strategic but low unit count)

Storm Over Stalingrad is easy and plays pretty fast.

Four Battles of Army Group South (uses the Panzergruppe Guderian system which is a bit dated, but not too hard, unit counts in the magazine game range).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Downey
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arduous Beginning
Objective: Kiev
Defiant Russia
Assault on Sevastopol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Downey
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demyansk Pocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you want Into the Pocket!: Operation Winter Storm. Another option would be Savage Streets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nedry
Japan
Yamashina
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll second Circle of Fire. Been a while since I played but I recall the rules being succinct and the game fun to play. Tentatively suggest TPS’s Stalingrad though I’ve not played it. Other games in the series have been enjoyable for their small footprint and smoothe gameplay, if memory serves. Stalingrad has around 200 counters, which may be a deal breaker, but it looks like ~50 are info counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out High Flying Dice: HFD.

they have a series of small relatively inexpensive games on the Eastern Front and many other era's. Good games, small footprint, pretty low prices. You will have to cut the counters out but HFD does offer both mounted and unmounted versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd vote for Circle of Fire.

As far as "smaller" games:

Hell's Gate
Battle for Moscow (second edition) (but only play it if you can play with the expansion)
Target: Leningrad or Objective: Kiev (they feel like the same game).

Campaign Commander Volume I: Roads to Stalingrad. Rules suck, but I wrote a better set in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Kessel and Barbarossa Campaign are both excellent.

You might also check out The Battle of Stalingrad. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like a decent little game with not overly complex rules.

Looking forward to the next series, keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Good game on Army Group South's drive on Stalingrad and the Caucasus. Big map, but most of it is charts (the actual game map is small). Uses chit pull activation and can easily be completed in one sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, let me know how deep you want to delve into the Stalingrad sub-topic. There are some "must haves" in terms of books for Stalingrad. And I don't mean the obvious ones (like Beevor's Stalingrad or the massive Gantz trilogy). Rather, I mean stuff like the absolutely amazing (though unattractive) trilogy of atlases by Joly, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is pretty small (VPG edition)... meeple

No Retreat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoran Bosnjak
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Fortress Stalingrad from Strategy & Tactics magazine #124. It has just about right amount of counters and a lot of area to move around. It has great feel of power in numbers for russians, strong but fewer germans and paper thin minor axis forces. If you don't strangle germans in stalingrad, they will punch you in the face. I played both sides, and can't decide who has a tougher job...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Chapoutier
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Konigsberg: The Soviet Attack on East Prussia, 1945

and

Across The Narva: The Soviet Assault on Estonia, February 1944

would fit your bill perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
C3i Magazine #28: Unconditional Surrender Case Blue.

A fine introduction to the bigger boardgame too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

No Retreat!

This is the one you should get, it will give you all the feel of eastern front with super low counter density. Stop looking at get this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubendario5 wrote:
licinius wrote:

No Retreat!

This is the one you should get, it will give you all the feel of eastern front with super low counter density. Stop looking at get this one.

Y’all DID see that I already own this, right? Both versions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:

Roads to Leningrad
Roads to Moscow

I was going to suggest these as well.

And, 48th Panzer Korps is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
rubendario5 wrote:
licinius wrote:

No Retreat!

Y’all DID see that I already own this, right? Both versions!

C’mon, Mark. No one actually reads the entire OP before responding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me mention the game that inspired Carl Paradis' No Retreat series : Sturm Nach Osten

It's actually 2 games, a stripped-down version that's still surprisingly good and the full game that's a real gem, but a bit too long for your taste.

Keep up the good work with your podcasts - been listening to them since 2005 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

David re books, check out Death of the Leaping Horseman sometime. It is a unit history of 24th Panzer Division and its destruction in Stalingrad, and one of the best unit histories you'll ever read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Raicer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
My Hitler Turns East is a small game on Barbarossa with a chit pull/orders system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.