Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Racoon
Slovenia
flag msg tools
new user
Hi!

We are finishing Game 8 and have a question regarding a combo

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a Scroll of sth on the Advancement mat. Can a player place a robot minion on a buliding he cannot go into (e.g. Welder), pick up a scroll, use a scroll to pay the cost and gain points?

Or does the scroll's power need to be applied before placing a worker?

Thanks for clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Smith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minions’ abilities activate first; so in this case, you can take the scroll card and then use it to pay that building’s cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is a legal combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Racoon
Slovenia
flag msg tools
new user
Yes, I understand that the minions' ability activates first. We have a trouble with wording on the Scroll card, as it says:

As you place your worker on a building in your charter, you may discard this card...

But worker needs to be placed in a building in order to gain his benefit (before paying the cost of the building, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Charterstone FAQ:
Quote:
Minions:: Any player may gain and use any unlocked minion token. A minion is a type of worker that you may place only on unoccupied buildings in your charter. When you do, gain the minion benefit, then pay the building cost, then gain the building benefit. In this way, a minion may be used to gain something that you can use to play the cost of the building on which you placed it. The “minion’s building” is the building your minion token is on–if an opponent places a worker on that building, the minion stays there, and you gain the minion’s bonus. All cards that refer to “workers” apply to both regular workers and minions. The reference card for that minion type goes in the general supply for all players to see. This is noted on Rule 16 (card 33: Minions).

It is also clarified in this thread by Jamey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wilson
msg tools
I think NOT ! Let me explain...

I agree that you can go to a building and pickup the scroll and use it as payment, BUT I dont think you can use the scroll to pay perils and influence.
You mention the welder which requires 2 blue perils but the scroll can only be used instead of coins and ressorces. At least thats how we played the scrolls.

Maybe Jamie can clarify !?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Girke wrote:
I think NOT ! Let me explain...

I agree that you can go to a building and pickup the scroll and use it as payment, BUT I dont think you can use the scroll to pay perils and influence.
You mention the welder which requires 2 blue perils but the scroll can only be used instead of coins and ressorces. At least thats how we played the scrolls.

Maybe Jamie can clarify !?

The Scrolls say that they may be udiscarded "instead of paying the building's cost" to use the building. What makes you feel that peril tokens are something other than a "cost" to use the Welder?

You did touch on one exception: sometimes the benefit of a building involves placing an influence somewhere to gain a corresponding benefit. Examples include (but aren't limited to) goal cards or cloud port shipments. You need to place the influence in these cases to gain the reward for placing the influence. But if the influence is just a "cost", then the scrolls pay for the influence, too.

Jamey has already clarified this in the thread linked immediately above yours. Scroll down to the 8th and 10th posts (which are by Jamey) for this specific situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.