Spiel» Forums » General

Subject: Alpha cubes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho Mycetes Bass
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I now have the Kosmos third edition. I would like to be able to play the letter games from the editions that have them. Does anyone have a mapping of the letters (and digits) on the cubes? I could make some stickers. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
other_nebogipfel wrote:
So I now have the Kosmos third edition. I would like to be able to play the letter games from the editions that have them. Does anyone have a mapping of the letters (and digits) on the cubes? I could make some stickers. Thank you!

I can ask Reinhold Wittig about it. But I am not aware of any of those letter game rules - do you have them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Mycetes Bass
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
But I am not aware of any of those letter game rules - do you have them?

They are on the last couple of pages of this file, games A-D, referred to in the table of contents as "buchstabenspiele".
"Spiel" - Regeln (Deutsch), Teil 2

I supposed that there was some version of Das Spiel that came with alpha cubes, because of this picture.

But having looked again, I don't think they are specifically German alpha cubes, because there are no umlauts nor eszett. So maybe the user who took the picture got them separately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
other_nebogipfel wrote:
HilkMAN wrote:
But I am not aware of any of those letter game rules - do you have them?

They are on the last couple of pages of this file, games A-D, referred to in the table of contents as "buchstabenspiele".
"Spiel" - Regeln (Deutsch), Teil 2

I supposed that there was some version of Das Spiel that came with alpha cubes, because of this picture.

But having looked again, I don't think they are specifically German alpha cubes, because there are no umlauts nor eszett. So maybe the user who took the picture got them separately?

Haha... that's a file I uploaded myself. I totally didn't remember there were letter cubes involved... blush

Anyway, these are definitely German dice, and I have two sets of them at home. I could analyse them, but it would be less work if I got a single set of them. I might see Reinhold on Tuesday, and I will try to remember to ask him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice in the picture have values similar to German Scrabble tiles, although Y appears to be a 7 instead of an 8 or 10. For English, you might want to buy up some cheap Big Boggle sets and use Scrabble scores (Sharpie or just have a table).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrabble_letter_distributions

Letter distribution for Big & Super Big Boggle: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1071406/looking-letter-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
The dice in the picture have values similar to German Scrabble tiles, although Y appears to be a 7 instead of an 8 or 10. For English, you might want to buy up some cheap Big Boggle sets and use Scrabble scores (Sharpie or just have a table).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrabble_letter_distributions

Letter distribution for Big & Super Big Boggle: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1071406/looking-letter-...

For English that does make sense. I was curious how many dice were included all in all, i.e., how many sets with a good distribution of letters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.