Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game of Outer Planets and would like to check that I played correctly.

Starting at Venus Fly-By in 1974 with a spacecraft composed of 4 Galileo probes and 2 Ion engines, I performed the series of slingshot maneuvers that takes you to Neptune by 1986.

All the maneuvers are difficulty 0 except the first (Venus Fly-By to Jupiter Fly-By), which is difficulty 1. The first slingshot needed to happen in 1 year and with a mass of 10, the spacecraft generate the required 10 thrust with the two Ions in a single year.

At Jupiter, I used my Galileo probes to survey Ganymede and Europa since the telescope symbol is present on the card. A Europa Advanced Survey mission was revealed.

My questions:

(1) Did I automatically accomplish the new Europa Advanced Survey mission since I revealed the location using a Galileo probe?

(2) If not, is there any reason, I couldn't use one of my unused Galileo probes to do an advanced survey right away?

(3) I did not reveal Jupiter since there appears to be no way to survey it from this location. Is this correct or was there a way to do so from Jupiter Fly-By?

(4) I did reveal Jupiter as I performed the slingshot to Saturn Fly-By since there is a Jupiter hazard symbol. Is this correct?

(5) When I revealed Jupiter, the mission I revealed was to put a probe in Jupiter orbit. Had I anticipated this, could I have split off an Ion and Galileo while in Jupiter Fly-By and sent it to Jupiter Orbit for a 6-year maneuver and accomplished this mission?

(6) In 1986, I scored the Grand Tour mission. Any flaws in what I did?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, if you reveal an advanced survey mission after surveying with a galileo probe, you just did it and the mission is completed
3. You're right, there's no way to survey Jupiter from fly-by In fact you perfectly can
4. Right. It count as a survey.
5. Exactly, whatever the way you got a craft in jupiter orbit, if the mission ask to have one, and it's there, the mission is done.
6. The only flaw I see is that you did survey Ganymede and Europa, OP adds a rule that a probe can only do one survey per year (or turn I'd have to read that again), after one distant survey you have to either move away from fly-by or loose the probe.

Did you pull 4 galileos there as a radiation insurance ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I really appreciate the answers!

Majami wrote:
6. The only flaw I see is that you did survey Ganymede and Europa, OP adds a rule that a probe can only do one survey per year (or turn I'd have to read that again), after one distant survey you have to either move away from fly-by or loose the probe.

I was aware of the new rule in the expansion about surveying once a year and this was my main reason for bringing so many probes on my spacecraft (and yes also as a bit of insurance against radiation, which turned out to be unnecessary).

The rules state that:
Quote:
Each probe/capsule can only use Surveying once per turn. This is important when performing a fly-by, where there will be an automatic maneuver at the end of the turn.

My interpretation was that I could do one survey per probe in a single turn so revealing both Ganymede and Europa was allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xemxi wrote:

I was aware of the new rule in the expansion about surveying once a year and this was my main reason for bringing so many probes on my spacecraft

Ah yes, stupid me, I ask about the reason for 4 probes right after not realizing you have 4 and then surveying 2 moons is perfectly legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Xavier. In case I think wasn't legal, my backup plan was to just split the craft in Venus Fly-By into two 1 Ion + 2 Galileo craft so they could perform the two surveys as they passed Jupiter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
(3) You can survey Jupiter from Jupiter Fly By. You can survey any location where a maneuver has a hazard symbol, as per the base game. The Telescope tells you additional locations you can survey, but does not restrict surveying in the usual way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
(3) You can survey Jupiter from Jupiter Fly By. You can survey any location where a maneuver has a hazard symbol, as per the base game. The Telescope tells you additional locations you can survey, but does not restrict surveying in the usual way.

OMG! I've always played misunderstanding that one can survey a body 1 card way instead of a hazard 1 card way.

It didn't mater with base game, but with OP it makes a real difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
The Outer Planets rulebook section on surveying makes this clear now that I re-read it.

Jupiter Fly-By image from the gallery for reference:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.