Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Arber
United States
Depew
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am not sure if we just haven't noticed what it does or what it's for but Alien Oort Cloud Refinery doesn't seem to make much sense. "Cannot trade this good", that's Ok, we got that. "may choose colony's kind each action and game end is the part that is confusing. We were assuming you can consume the good, just not trade. Does that mean every time you can produce on a windfall world this can be chosen and be any color you want? Also, a the end of the game, if a good is still on this Refinery, do you still have the choice of what color yo want the Refinery to be or does it need to be the color of the good that is on it? Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it can act as any color of good for consume benefits and endgame scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ctripp wrote:
We were assuming you can consume the good, just not trade.

Correct.

Quote:
Does that mean every time you can produce on a windfall world this can be chosen and be any color you want?

Yes.

From the rules, page 4, Powers, last paragraph: "The Alien Oort Cloud Factory's ability is not a power and may affect its own placement. Its owner sets its kind -- Novelty (cyan), Rare Elements (brown), Genes (green), or Alien Technology (yellow) -- once each action for that action. This has no effect on a good already on it."

So for a Produce action, you could set its kind to Novelty and receive a Novelty good, which you could then later consume with a power that only Consumes Novelty goods, such as Consumer Markets.

Its flexibility on Settle allows you to use any color-specific discount power to reduce its cost to 0 (doing this though will then determine what color windfall good it receives instead of you choosing its good kind).

However, if someone, say, called Settle before Consume, you could declare this world to be a different kind (that doesn't match the good currently on it) to upgrade this world to become a more useful, higher cost world via Terraforming Engineers (in which case its good would be discarded, see page 7, second paragraph).

Quote:
At the end of the game, if a good is still on this Refinery, do you still have the choice of what color you want the Refinery to be?

Yes. You pick one kind (color) and score it as that color. See Winning, page 9. Note that its Trade restriction is a Trade power for the goal Skilled Workforce.

The way to think about this world is that it is has a flexible kind for settling, production, and scoring. (Consumption is dictated by the kind of good currently on it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
thatach wrote:
it can act as any color of good for consume benefits

Incorrect.

In New Frontiers (unlike Race) the kind of its good for consumption is based on the actual good piece currently on it, placed during its initial Settle (if it is a windfall world) or a later Produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arber
United States
Depew
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Tom, really cleared that up for us. We love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ercolini
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
ctripp wrote:
We were assuming you can consume the good, just not trade.

Correct.

I understand how the Oort Cloud Refinery works, but what I am struggling with is the icons.

Why does the arrow have a red line through it? I thought the icon for consume was that arrow and this would indicate you can't consume. I would have thought it would have a red line through a $ icon which is trade and the arrow would be there with no line.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
theercs wrote:
Why does the arrow have a red line through it? I thought the icon for consume was that arrow and this would indicate you can't consume. I would have thought it would have a red line through a $ icon which is trade and the arrow would be there with no line.

Am I missing something obvious?

Trade powers use a solid white arrow: see Spice World or Export Duties.

Consume powers use a solid gray arrow: see New Vinland or Galactic Advertisers.

The Consume *action* is marked by a black arrow with white outline.

Trade League has all three of these arrows, plus the "$" for the Trade action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.